Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing my kitchen countertops and can't decide if I should get granite or Silestone or something else. I will want something that is luminous with a nice sheen and will want it to be black with flecks of white in it. My cabinets are white and floor is hardwood.

Does anyone have any advice on which is best.... advantages and disadvantages of each ? Personal experience with either?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i asked hubby since he is an architect...he said he likes granite but he didnt say why

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Apr 15 2005, 09:29 PM
i asked hubby since he is an architect...he said he likes granite but he didnt say why

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53106
[/QUOTE]

Thanks.... supposedly Silestone does not ever need sealing and does not stain. I think granite doesn't stain if it is sealed. I have some samples of Silestone coming that I ordered and I think I'll put stuff on them to see what happens. The main thing is I want a luminous appearance. Corian is less expensive but it doesn't have any sort of sheen. Thank you so much for checking with your husband. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
of course he didnt know what silestone was...some architect he is LOL...but i found this link and it looks like silestone is better: http://www.fidnet.com/~mbruno/comparison_g...s_silestone.htm my mom is also an architect and she does more residential...i will ask her too. the link is probably biased though since it is by a silestone manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Apr 15 2005, 09:37 PM
of course he didnt know what silestone was...some architect he is LOL...but i found this link and it looks like silestone is better: http://www.fidnet.com/~mbruno/comparison_g...s_silestone.htm  my mom is also an architect and she does more residential...i will ask her too.  the link is probably biased though since it is by a silestone manufacturer.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53112
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the fabulous link..... !!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Apr 15 2005, 10:09 PM
not too sure on the others, but I know granite is expensive.

A guy at my husbands work his wife wanted granite countertops cost them $6000.

We got our whole kitchen redone for $6000, but we did not go granite we went the less expensive countertops
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53138
[/QUOTE]

My current countertops are fine and so are my cabinets... so if I'm going to change anything I really want granite or Silestone, unless I can find a substitute that looks as good. I don't need cabinets or flooring or anything really but just want to upgrade my countertops and get one of the under counter sinks that looks sooo good with granite or Silestone..... I'm just starting the investigatory process to see which I like, colors, etc..... I'll probably wait to do it in a couple months..... I'll know more when the Silestone samples arrive and I can get an idea of how it'll look....

What type of countertops did you end up getting?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Apr 15 2005, 10:41 PM
just the ordinary run of the mill laminate counter top, but they cornered it nicely with a wood stripping. The colour was one that we wanted a soft sagey green mixed with soft sand colours and grey - hard to describe

We really didnt want to spend a whole fortune on our kitchen but definitely needed everything updated as we will not be in this house forever so more of a selling feature down the line. The old kitchen was hideous, no counter space to work on, hardly any cupboards to speak of.   If we had the money and knew we were going to stay in this house forever then I would have gone all out. 

Stainless steel is one I would never consider, can you imagine all the smudges :eek:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53153
[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's true about stainless. A friend had that for a while until she finally talked her husband into granite, which she really does love. The stainless looked very clean and nice though.... But yes... the smudges would drive me crazy. Your laminate sounds nice with the wood edges... good idea!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I put granite countertops in my kitchen when we remodeled two years ago. I love the granite. There are so many color and finish choices....more than just what was available a few years ago. My suggestion, if you have an EXPO design center near by go take a look at the different options. With granite, you go to the fabricator's and select your actual slabs. There are natural variations in the stone so just looking at a sample won't really give you a good perspective. My granite was sealed by the fabricator's and I have had no staining issues at all. They look as beautiful as the day they were installed. I have a fancy edge on my countertops, which adds to the cost, but also adds a lot of flare to the countertops. I also have two sinks in my kitchen, one with one hole cut out, the other with two holes. The main sink is a copper farm house sink. The other is a round copper sink. Both are undermounts. I have corian in my master bath, but I really regret not putting in granite. I really don't like it very much...it looks too plastic to me. If you do go with granite, make sure to discuss where the seams will fall. That can impact on your selection....for instance if you have a L shaped corner, you have to make sure that they can do it seamlessly...otherwise you'll have unmatched pattern ends that might really stand out. I think a new countertop and sink are excellent ways to spruce up a perfectly funcitonal kitchen. You may also want to consider new cabinet hardware as well. Oh, and don't forget the back splash too. I did mine in tumbled marble. It really compliments the granite.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I love the look of granite and it actually is cheaper then the other ones. I would like to do my counter top but it would be expensive because the area is really big and it's a "U" shape, so there actually would be 2 seams. I read somewhere that vinegar can stain the granite and I was kind of thinking it over if it would not be better going with something else. Oh well, it's not this year we will be changing it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I redid my entire kitchen last summer. My counter is Granite. If you shop around, you can find Granite for a very resonable price-AND it's not really much more than Corian or Silestone, or Zodiac.

I looked at every material known to man-I couldn;t compare the gloss to granite. My Counter top is "Galaxy"- which is Black with copper flecks. I adore it, and Galaxy never has to be resealed. It is gorgeous-I have cherry cabinets with black glaze and the counter stand out and speaks to people.

When we did the counter-top ordering, we got prices on Granite-we needed 52 square-the price I got was 6200. We kept shopping...lol Another was 4700, then 4200....finally, my husband found a granite shop in the Bronx by the Firehouse-3000 and thet INCLUDED the ogee edge. (Most times you have to pay about 40 dollars a linear foot.)

My friend has Zodiac, and it is shiny-less than granite's shine, but still very nice. Almost the same price, though. I like the real stone for the price-Zodiac and silestone have alot of the same qualities as Granite so they are all good choices-Corian is nice, I have my bathroom sinks upstairs in corian. All of these things stain-all of them. That;s why I got Black. :D

good luck!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I have Dakota Mahogany Granite (black with reddish, silver, and brown accents) countertops with cherry cabinets with a chocolate glaze. You wouldn't believe the compliments I get on the granite countertops! A friend had Corian and regrets it. It really scratches and needs rebuffed once a year to get scratches out! Thank goodness I didn't go with that - didn't like the looks of it - I too wanted that shine! Granite will need sealed once a year but it is really easy to do yourself! And I cut on mine (no scratches), lay hot pots on it, etc. I do not baby my countertops! I've never had anything stain it, but then again we always make sure we seal it once a year (usually on our way out the door for vacation - as it really does stink!).

I think Aruba Tuba looks awesome with white cabinets!! It's a dark green and I have seen this with white cabinets and it is BEAUTIFUL!! Really a WOW factor!!

Good Luck! You won't regret going with Granite!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by saltymalty@Apr 15 2005, 10:49 PM
I put granite countertops in my kitchen when we remodeled two years ago.  I love the granite.  There are so many color and finish choices....more than just what was available a few years ago.  My suggestion, if you have an EXPO design center near by go take a look at the different options.  With granite, you go to the fabricator's and select your actual slabs.  There are natural variations in the stone so just looking at a sample won't really give you a good perspective.  My granite was sealed by the fabricator's and I have had no staining issues at all.  They look as beautiful as the day they were installed.  I have a fancy edge on my countertops, which adds to the cost, but also adds a lot of flare to the countertops.  I also have two sinks in my kitchen, one with one hole cut out, the other with two holes.  The main sink is a copper farm house sink.  The other is a round copper sink.  Both are undermounts.  I have corian in my master bath, but I really regret not putting in granite.  I really don't like it very much...it looks too plastic to me.  If you do go with granite, make sure to discuss where the seams will fall.  That can impact on your selection....for instance if you have a L shaped corner, you have to make sure that they can do it seamlessly...otherwise you'll have unmatched pattern ends that might really stand out.  I think a new countertop and sink are excellent ways to spruce up a perfectly funcitonal kitchen.  You may also want to consider new cabinet hardware as well.  Oh, and don't forget the back splash too.  I did mine in tumbled marble.  It really compliments the granite.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53157
[/QUOTE]
Great info... thank you so much.... yes I do have an L-shaped corner so I will make sure to watch that. I already changed my hardware on my cabinets and it did make a huge difference! I was actually thinking I'd do my master bath and maybe the powder room at the same time. A friend is doing her kitchen and said she was going to go with Silestone until she saw a fabulous piece of granite. Now I know what she meant... I didn't realize I would actually go see the slab and each are different but duh... that makes total sense!!

Your kitchen sounds gorgeous!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Abbey@Apr 16 2005, 06:49 AM
I have Dakota Mahogany Granite (black with reddish, silver, and brown accents) countertops with cherry cabinets with a chocolate glaze.  You wouldn't believe the compliments I get on the granite countertops!  A friend had Corian and regrets it.  It really scratches and needs rebuffed once a year to get scratches out!  Thank goodness I didn't go with that - didn't like the looks of it - I too wanted that shine!  Granite will need sealed once a year but it is really easy to do yourself!  And I cut on mine (no scratches), lay hot pots on it, etc.  I do not baby my countertops!  I've never had anything stain it, but then again we always make sure we seal it once a year (usually on our way out the door for vacation - as it really does stink!).

I think Aruba Tuba looks awesome with white cabinets!!  It's a dark green and  I have seen this with white cabinets and it is BEAUTIFUL!!  Really a WOW factor!!

Good Luck!  You won't regret going with Granite!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53197
[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the info.... Your kitchen sounds beautiful!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Airmid@Apr 16 2005, 04:50 AM
I redid my entire kitchen last summer. My counter is Granite. If you shop around, you can find Granite for a very resonable price-AND it's not really much more than Corian or Silestone, or Zodiac.

I looked at every material known to man-I couldn;t compare the gloss to granite. My Counter top is "Galaxy"- which is Black with copper flecks. I adore it, and Galaxy never has to be resealed. It is gorgeous-I have cherry cabinets with black glaze and the counter stand out and speaks to people.

When we did the counter-top ordering, we got prices on Granite-we needed 52 square-the price I got was 6200. We kept shopping...lol Another was 4700, then 4200....finally, my husband found a granite shop in the Bronx by the Firehouse-3000 and thet INCLUDED the ogee edge. (Most times you have to pay about 40 dollars a linear foot.)

My friend has Zodiac, and it is shiny-less than granite's shine, but still very nice. Almost the same price, though. I like the real stone for the price-Zodiac and silestone have alot of the same qualities as Granite so they are all good choices-Corian is nice, I have my bathroom sinks upstairs in corian. All of these things stain-all of them. That;s why I got Black. :D

good luck!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53196
[/QUOTE]
Thank you! Great info! Your kitchen sounds gorgeous, too... gosh all you ladies have gorgeous kitchens!!!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
If you have an L shape, you may want to stay away from the striped granites and focus on the swirly or blotchy patterns. Some fabricators now have larger slabs that can accomodate a corner or turn without a seam. Make sure to ask if you like the striped patterns. My granite is called Giallo Venizano although I'm not really sure what that means because I have seen so many variations....basically it is a copper colored with pink, ruby, black and tan. The choices are really outstanding, far greater than with man made products. My installer suggested using Windex Multi Surface with Vinegar to clean the coutertops, and it hasn't harmed the finish one bit. The countertops I have really don't show anything because of the bold pattern. I also have cherry cabinets, in a warm honey finish with copper cup pulls and handles. I had the fabricator lop off the corners so that they don't make a 45 degree angle. It just makes the edge less pointy. Definitely shop around and I would suggest calling a fabricator directly rather than dealing with a tile show room. The only exception would be if you opt to go to Home Depot or Lowes. They offer great prices and you still get to pick which slabs you want.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by saltymalty@Apr 16 2005, 08:04 AM
If you have an L shape, you may want to stay away from the striped granites and focus on the swirly or blotchy patterns.  Some fabricators now have larger slabs that can accomodate a corner or turn without a seam.  Make sure to ask if you like the striped patterns.  My granite is called Giallo Venizano although I'm not really sure what that means because I have seen so many variations....basically it is a copper colored with pink, ruby, black and tan.  The choices are really outstanding, far greater than with man made products.  My installer suggested using Windex Multi Surface with Vinegar to clean the coutertops, and it hasn't harmed the finish one bit.  The countertops I have really don't show anything because of the bold pattern.  I also have cherry cabinets, in a warm honey finish with copper cup pulls and handles.  I had the fabricator lop off the corners so that they don't make a 45 degree angle.  It just makes the edge less pointy.  Definitely shop around and I would suggest calling a fabricator directly rather than dealing with a tile show room.  The only exception would be if you opt to go to Home Depot or Lowes.  They offer great prices and you still get to pick which slabs you want.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53207
[/QUOTE]
Great info! I will probably go with Lowe's or Home Depot since both are very near me. I'm almost certain I want black with something sparkly in it. I added a fireplace in my bedroom a couple years ago and have a black granite surround and hearth and it has some sparkly flecks in it and it is just gorgeous. That is one thing that has made me start pining for granite in my kitchen. Thanks for that tip about the corner situation.... much appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 15 2005, 09:20 PM
I'm thinking of replacing my kitchen countertops and can't decide if I should get granite or Silestone or something else. I will want something that is luminous with a nice sheen and will want it to be black with flecks of white in it. My cabinets are white and floor is hardwood.

Does anyone have any advice on which is best.... advantages and disadvantages of each ? Personal experience with either?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53099
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
19 Posts
It sounds like everyone that has the granite really likes it. We remodeled our kitchen last year and we chose the silestone in black. I love it. We decided to go with that because we have a very big, busy family that isn't always very careful about stains and things like that. You don't have to worry about sealing it or anything. It is very nice looking but not as shiny as granite. It does shine up pretty nice with just windex though.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts