Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
So sorry to hear about your baby with the stools, ask your vet for a probiotic that will definitely help and when Cody had diarrhea he was given flagyl, and it takes away the diarrhea immediately and the stool gets formed. My cat has a really bad issue with the stools from his kidney and he is on flagyl once a day for a daily pill . When it gets better I take him off of it and when it starts up I give him the pill and he’s fine. Ask your vet if your dog can take it. Cody and my cat have done wonderful on it. If it’s giardia or coccidia that takes actually a year to get rid of. Maybe hose down the grass with water where they do their business so no reinfection gets on their paws. The probiotic works too as well. So sorry to hear about the babies , they are just soooo super sweet two beautiful baby dolls!!

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Both dogs on probiotic & flagyl. Thank you for the advice---they have c-diff.

·
Premium Member
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Dwt & I have been unable to get to the clinic to get our tests as our weather has been crazy & we are w/out electrical power & heat mostly. Lots going on here. Hotels are full. We don't use generators in TX (& I heard that many who use them like hotels are having problems w/them freezing up). Our homes are not insulated like up north & we have been in deep freeze for over a week already & expecting another ice storm possibly tonight. We should improve by Fri. PM. We are not out & driving. Pups responding slowly to meds but we are going in the right direction.
edit: we were due for our 2nd covid vaccine today---not going to happen!

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,218 Posts
Dwt & I have been unable to get to the clinic to get our tests as our weather has been crazy & we are w/out electrical power & heat mostly. Lots going on here. Hotels are full. We don't use generators in TX (& I heard that many who use them like hotels are having problems w/them freezing up). Our homes are not insulated like up north & we have been in deep freeze for over a week already & expecting another ice storm possibly tonight. We should improve by Fri. PM. We are not out & driving. Pups responding slowly to meds but we are going in the right direction.
edit: we were due for our 2nd covid vaccine today---not going to happen!
Thank you for the update Sandi. I have been so worried about you. So crazy what is going on in TX weather wise. They are definitely not prepared for this kind of weather. My 95 year old mother is on 20 acres outside of Houston and her house is up on stilts and not insulated at all. I heard several more fronts are coming your way too. Glad to also hear Kitzi & Lisi are responding to meds and moving in right direction. Continued prayers coming your way. Get out the blankets, a good book and a good bottle of cab and stay huddled down.
~ Paulann

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,833 Posts
So sorry Sandi. I heard that the entire state was under severe weather warnings. Even grocery stores are shut down. Texas has its own independent electric grid system, so they can not pull from the US grid, so they need to fix the problems and can not reroute power. Basically the entire state is down. Lots of layers, stay under blankets.

·
Premium Member
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
We have been freezing all day---power came back on about 1/2 hr. ago but won't stay so am up-dating while I can. Yes, groc. stores even shut down, but roads not drivable anyhow. Our water, heat, electrical power & even cell is shutting down. I had forgotten how much my joints hurt when I am cold. I even resorted to red-wine tonight to keep the small veins of my feet open! I get frost-bite easily. Just praying we make it to Fri. when things get better. Lots of people we know have burst pipes. Hotels are full & many of their generators frozen up. This is an historic event---thank God.

·
Super Moderator
9,833 Posts
Sandi I am just so sorry. I wish there were something we could do to help you. Be careful of alcohol because it decreases body temperature. Layers and keeping dry are the most important thing. Put on sever pairs of socks, and wear gloves , a hat, and a scarf. Keep the extremities covered. Thinking about you-all.

·
Premium Member
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks Walter! I am not allowed much wine! :p We did find another duvet w/feathers which are light but warm---Lisi is going to love it! She likes soft things to bury down in. I am so glad we brought them back but haven't needed them much until now. Tonight is going to be tricky. Our headlamps have been a god-send. Will try to check in tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
UPDATE:
Pups stools are now mostly firm----still not 100% but so much better. Due to inclement weather we have not dared to drive on TX roads so we have not been tested yet. The clinic is only 10 min. but up & down some hills & we have so much ice & D's car is totally frozen up along w/our garage door (where my CRV is lodged). I have 2 procedures at 2 different hospitals next week so need to get this done soon. On Tues I have to do a covid test for one of the hospitals so hopefully we are at the end of "winter in Narnia"---someone please tell the snow queen!

Reactions: maddysmom

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Kitzel has been doing more poorly since last Thurs. He has been waking me in the night w/urgency & has had very terrible stools---last night he had blood in his stool although we had thought yesterday it was a bit better. He woke me around 2:30 & again around 5:30 to take him out. About 3 wks ago we did a diagnostic US on him & other than the issue w/gallbladder sludge & a bit higher liver enzymes they could not identify anything. I have altered his diet & tried different things w/out much success. We finally opted to do a diarrhea canine realPCR panel to help us figure out what is up. Last night he had, for the first time, apparent blood in his stool.
Lisi seemed fine but when I took her off the kibble (she only gets 1/8 cup per day but it helps her to have a firmer stool) her stool went downhill. It was better today so we just decided to do Kitzel since it is over 200$ for the one test. If he has some sort of parasite we will just treat them both. Kitzi still has an appetite & drinks well---so a bit of a puzzle. I also thought maybe a loose tooth but D probed them all & none are loose. He is on some heart meds but that would not cause issues for Lisi.
Oh, dear!!! I went through a long period of digestive problems with my Whisper. So hard when you're trying to find answers so the pup can be treated. Hope a solution comes soon.

Lainie

·
Premium Member
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Lainie, both pups have been on meds for about a week now along w/probiotics so we are moving in the right direction---thank you!

·
Premium Member
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Walter, how much did you give Lucky f the AE Plant Enzyme, & Probiotics per day. It says 1/4 tsp. a day on food for 30 lbs of dogs body weight. My other ones (Proviable-DC) were little capsules that I just halved between the two of them, and I had a soft chew that I did the same with before that.

·
Super Moderator
9,833 Posts
Walter, how much did you give Lucky f the AE Plant Enzyme, & Probiotics per day. It says 1/4 tsp. a day on food for 30 lbs of dogs body weight. My other ones (Proviable-DC) were little capsules that I just halved between the two of them, and I had a soft chew that I did the same with before that.

That is about right. I put it into a spice shaker and gave it one shake over ice cream at night. i did not measure. Luck used to get a tiny amount of ice cream each night to add to his protein.

Reactions: edelweiss

·
Premium Member
5,654 Posts
Sandi, animal essentials probiotic is pretty straight forward 1/4 teaspoon. If they are on an antibiotic, you need to make sure it is give after that and waiting at least 2-3 hours, otherwise its a total waste.
The Proviable DC should have been one full capsule and not split, otherwise they will not get full benefits.

·
Premium Member
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Update: Yippee! Both D & I tested negative for all pathogens! Now to just get past this next wk w/both pups on flagyl & I think we can breathe again. I do know that we may need to do a third week though! This stuff is resistive. I think the pups ate some squirrel droppings & there is no way to stop that!!

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Super Moderator
9,833 Posts
Update: Yippee! Both D & I tested negative for all pathogens! Now to just get past this next wk w/both pups on flagyl & I think we can breathe again. I do know that we may need to do a third week though! This stuff is resistive. I think the pups ate some squirrel droppings & there is no way to stop that!!
Great news

·
Premium Member
17,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Isn't it just!
I could not imagine how we could have it w/all the hand washing we do around here, but it had to be considered since both pups had it. Talk about relief!

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,218 Posts
Excellent news! What a relief!

42c091fef1b3b0c5da9caab6f21114f1.jpeg

61 - 79 of 79 Posts