Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
This is on Kitzi's head right behind his R ear---I have been watching it since this summer & it is getting slowly bigger. It is very hard & looks like a little horn, but he is too sweet to sprout horns. He has been guarding that side of his head for a while and doesn't want me to bother it. Any ideas?

Attachments

Registered
It looks like a sebaceous adenoma. Zooey is covered in them. They are almost always benign, but sometimes need to be removed if they keep rupturing because they can get infected and can be very irritating to the dog. Zooey has had two removed and will probably need the one on her throat removed in the near future. The one pictured is on her head and while it hasn't ruptured, she doesn't like me to touch it.

Why do they get them? I still don't know. One theory is over-vaccination. Since I adopted Zooey from the shelter, they pumped her with vaxx all at the same time when she came in (5-way, bordetella, and rabies :(), and she had gosh knows how many before that.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Elizabeth! I so appreciate this input---and all of the other input you make for general consumption. We think alike!
My only concern is that this is darker than it should be. I will send this photo to my vet too. We are over-due for Wellness Checkup & since Lisi got a tick out east Nov. 6th it can't hurt. I just want to do research before I see the vet.
Thanks again!!!!

Registered
You're welcome, Sandi :) Always best to get professional input! Please keep us posted.

Registered
I just zoomed in on the photo and it really looks like a tick shape--any chance that's what it is?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No, absolutely not a tick!
It is darker though than most of the cysts I see & it is not swollen or soft---very hard. I had a rescue dog once w/fibrosarcoma of the gums which the vet thought harmless but when biopsyed it was aggressive cancer---so I am keeping a close eye on this one. I have never had a dog w/skin tags so just need input.
Mast cell & squamous are my two fears.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
My fear in TX is that it could be a melanoma.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
My two biggest fears are mast cell or squamous.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like a sebaceous adenoma. Zooey is covered in them. They are almost always benign, but sometimes need to be removed if they keep rupturing because they can get infected and can be very irritating to the dog. Zooey has had two removed and will probably need the one on her throat removed in the near future. The one pictured is on her head and while it hasn't ruptured, she doesn't like me to touch it.

Why do they get them? I still don't know. One theory is over-vaccination. Since I adopted Zooey from the shelter, they pumped her with vaxx all at the same time when she came in (5-way, bordetella, and rabies :(), and she had gosh knows how many before that.
From what I have researched these are normally lighter colored than what K has?

Registered
Okay, not a tick. Yes, all of Zooey's adenomas are lighter than Kitzi's growth. Boy, do I understand your fears. Hoping and praying that it's just a tag or other harmless growth.

Registered
Just googled mast cell tumors, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma--doesn't look like any of those to me. It was interesting to read that melanomas are benign most of the time in dogs--never knew that--sounds oxymoronic.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
I hope your optimism is right. I did send a copy of the photo to his vet & won't hear for a few days as she isn't in every day & has to catch up when she is in. My mind runs to worst case scenario always!

Premium Member
Hi Sandi!
I鈥檓 not sure if you remember when Ling Ling had a rare growth that grew like a horn, slow growing but was a cancerous growth. Fortunately, when they took a biopsy, the margins were wide enough that she didn鈥檛 need treatment.
I attached a bunch of pictures of what hers looked like. This was the day I was bathing her and I picked off the hard horn thing growing, so it鈥檚 angry looking but you can get an idea of what it looked like to compare to Kitzel鈥檚.

Attachments

Registered
Bogie had a number of growths that looked like Kitzel's. One on his head grew and ruptured. The vet said these growths are common as dogs age but usually aren't a problem.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Sandi!
I鈥檓 not sure if you remember when Ling Ling had a rare growth that grew like a horn, slow growing but was a cancerous growth. Fortunately, when they took a biopsy, the margins were wide enough that she didn鈥檛 need treatment.
I attached a bunch of pictures of what hers looked like. This was the day I was bathing her and I picked off the hard horn thing growing, so it鈥檚 angry looking but you can get an idea of what it looked like to compare to Kitzel鈥檚.
Joanne, I had forgotten about that---Kitzel's would be defined as slow growing as well---and it looked exactly like your photos early on--now it has turned darker. Where was her's located on the body. Do you remember what kind it was & it sounds like you removed it? I am confused about a biopsy.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
Bogie had a number of growths that looked like Kitzel's. One on his head grew and ruptured. The vet said these growths are common as dogs age but usually aren't a problem.
I think that is what Elizabeth was talking about--- sebaceous adenoma. I will be very happy if that is what it is! Kitzel only has one.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #17
I just heard back from Kitzel's vet (sent her a picture last night) & she has recommended "we remove it with a local anesthesia and the cautery." JoAnne is this how they did yours?
Was it sent away for a biopsy or biopsied in house? If possible can you tell me the name of Ling-Lings cancer type---I want the vet to look at the possibility it may be the same. Any further info appreciated.

Premium Member
I just heard back from Kitzel's vet (sent her a picture last night) & she has recommended "we remove it with a local anesthesia and the cautery." JoAnne is this how they did yours?
Was it sent away for a biopsy or biopsied in house? If possible can you tell me the name of Ling-Lings cancer type---I want the vet to look at the possibility it may be the same. Any further info appreciated.
They sedated Ling Ling and sent out biopsy. I do not remember what it was called~will try to look up her records, ok.
Back ground on that growth. Started like a lump under skin for several months. When it started to grow outward, it was her skin color for about a month or so, and then the horn appeared. Those pictures were after a bath, when I picked off the tip but it was deep in color before the picking.
As long as they biopsy wide margins..there was no need for further treatment. If left, it would have continued to grow in size and much bigger surgery.
I hope it鈥檚 not that. If so, it鈥檚 a good time to remove before the roots of the growth continue to grow under the skin.
Hers was located on her back end, top of leg.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
Joanne, it sounds all too familiar. Did you do it at your vets or a speciality hospital?

Premium Member
Joanne, it sounds all too familiar. Did you do it at your vets or a speciality hospital?
I went to emergency vet because it wouldn鈥檛 stop bleeding.
This is what it was

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290991451_Infundibular_keratinizing_acanthoma_IKA_in_a_terrier_dog

But her cells came back malignant in biopsy per pathology report, which is why they cut wide margins...just in case. If they didn鈥檛, we were together referred to oncology for treatment and more surgery.
They said it was rare...maybe for our breed because there is lots of info on it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts