Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just arrived in Greece via San Francisco, Frankfurt so am exhausted.
Please pray for little Kitzel---we had an very tramatic experience before reaching San Francisco to catch our flight about which I will only tell the basic details tonight.
We stopped for coffee along the way and Kitzel got into my coat pocket which I had left him wrapped up in half asleep (it was 7:30 AM) and ate 2 of my medications---one through the tinfoil wrapper along w/his treats. Shortly thereafter his pupils were dilated & he was almost non-responsive. I was almost hysterical. We prayed & almost immediately saw a highway patrolman who had stopped a car. He let the other car go, got on the phone & located the only vet practice w/in 50 miles & took us there. I called along the way (he got the #) & the office lady said the vet would not come until 9:30. I told her "I am coming w/a police office & a non-responsive dog---GET SOMEBODY FAST."
It was not the nicest practice I have ever been in---far from it---but I knew God had guided us there. It was, in my eyes, beautiful! The vet tech & doctor both showed up w/in 10-15 minutes & they went to work. Within an hour we were on the road to the airport (who refused to change our ticket & would not let us take the dog out of the crate to pee on the pads). Kitzel did vomit at the airport & was very, very quiet for most of the flight. Tonight he seems almost normal.
We have an appointment tomorrow w/his vet to check his kidney levels. The vet in CA. was very concerned about long-term kidneydamage. I am holding off on feeding him any protein until tomorrow. Please pray.
I could literally not stop shaking for about an hour afterward. I am pretty level headed usually but my body caved in yesterday when I thought we had lost him and knew it was my fault. I am pretty upset w/the airline & will write a letter when I get my brain back.
Thanks for praying for us tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Oh Sandy i am so sorry to hear about Kitzel. Prayers are definitely being sent out to Kitzel and you.:grouphug::prayer::grouphug: Please keep us updated on his progress.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Oh my gosh - what a traumatic experience. How bad could it have been? Poor Kitzel! I know how much that dog means to you. Bless that high way patrol man and bless that vet clinic for getting their staff in asap!

So glad he is ok!!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Sandi, I'm so sorry to hear that you have to go through this horrifying experience. I'm glad that your prayers were answered and the high way patrolman and the vet office were there for you and Kitzel. Please keep us updated on how little Kitzel is doing, I hope he is feeling better already. Hugs to you and Kitzel, and I'll keep you both in my thoughts :grouphug:

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Oh my goodness, how awful!! I'm so sorry you and Kitzel went through that but happy to hear he seems to be doing better!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Sandi, I will be joining others in sending out prayers for you and Kitzel.

As far as the airline ticketing issues, there is a great blog by a travel advisor and mediator who may be willing to go to bat for you if you don't get satisfaction from the airline. It is elliott.org. I'm a member there, and he gives great advice. The first thing he would tell you is to not call, but email so you have a paper trail. He has a list of who to write to for the different airlines on his site.

Good luck! :tender:

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Sandi - how frightening. No wonder you were shaking.Nearly unresponsive. :crying::crying: Poor little Kitzel - after such a wonderful trip to the US, what an awful thing to happen on your departure. God bless that patrolman and the vet practice for probably helping save Kitzel's life. I know that God answered your prayers by putting that caring policeman there. I hope that you will be able to send him and the practice a letter to thank them. What lifesavers. I don't know if I would have been able to even get on a plane after what happened - I would have been a wreck.
I'm anxious for you to see the vet tomorrow. I am praying for Kitzel and that this will have no long lasting effect and he'll be just fine.
Sandi,I just have to add, please don't blame yourself. You are such a phenomenal mom and help to all of us and our fluffs. We all do things we wish we could take back but it's really hard to cross every T and dot every I all the time. Accidents happen and I know you weren't thinking about where your meds were. So please don't dwell on that at all. Focus on Kitzel getting better. So happy to hear he's acting like himself today.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Wow glad Kitzel is ok so far. If he threw up hopefully the pills didnt' get into his system too much. Thank goodness the patrolman helped you, sounds like a lifesaver for sure.

Definately email and get a paper trail and get names if you call ,for sure. document all you can. I hope the airlines will make it right.After all it was an emergency.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sandi - how frightening. No wonder you were shaking.Nearly unresponsive. :crying::crying: Poor little Kitzel - after such a wonderful trip to the US, what an awful thing to happen on your departure. God bless that patrolman and the vet practice for probably helping save Kitzel's life. I know that God answered your prayers by putting that caring policeman there. I hope that you will be able to send him and the practice a letter to thank them. What lifesavers. I don't know if I would have been able to even get on a plane after what happened - I would have been a wreck.
I'm anxious for you to see the vet tomorrow. I am praying for Kitzel and that this will have no long lasting effect and he'll be just fine.
Sandi,I just have to add, please don't blame yourself. You are such a phenomenal mom and help to all of us and our fluffs. We all do things we wish we could take back but it's really hard to cross every T and dot every I all the time. Accidents happen and I know you weren't thinking about where your meds were. So please don't dwell on that at all. Focus on Kitzel getting better. So happy to hear he's acting like himself today.
Thanks so much for these kind word, Sue. I tear up just reading your msg. so know I am still traumatized more than I wish were true.
We have an 11:00 appt. and I AM anxious. The medication was serious and I know that vet (& the cop) really were walking in angels wings! She said in her 20 yrs. there she had not had a case like his! It took all the faith & courage I could muster to keep going to the airport. She had done pretty much all she could for him so I knew that I needed to keep moving. I won't say that I felt confident---just sort of blank and praying for the best.
I talked twice w/the vet tonight & she is pretty confident that he is okay but we will see tomorrow. I know it isn't my fault as I am known as a paranoid when it comes to Kitzel---life happens---but had we lost him I would never have lived to forgive myself. We can never be too paranoid!:wub:

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you to all who have posted. I am still exhausted, frazzled, and wishing I had not been so stupid as to leave serious medication in my pocket (I had forgotten it was there & had put it there for the trip).
My DH said that Kitzel thought it was a game since we often hide things for him to find & enjoy in the NILIF philosophy! He is right.
Kitzel is sleeping---I thank God that he didn't die (I believe he was close). I want to wake him up and kiss him all over his precious little body! We did not get the officer's name as we were crazy w/anxiety but will try to contact the Hwy. Patrol in that area & make a complimentary report.
God bless, too, those vets who serve in places unknown and do it lovingly & without lots of fanfare.
I will contact the organization mentioned in regard to the airline---I have flown this airline for too many years, & am a premier member----I deserve better treatment than I got especially w/a dog who paid too much for his ticket & got treated like "a dog."

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Such a scarry close call. You and Kitzel had angels watching over you for sure. Such a good job on the part of the officer and the vet clinic. Kudos to them.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
oh sandi im so sorry u had to go thru this . i canonly imagine how scared u were , but accidents do happen n u cannot blame urself for something like that , thenk god that the policeman was there n willing to help and the vet arrived in time .. i will be praying for ur baby and hopefully he will be ok .. please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Oh Sandi! What a nightmare!!!! I'm sitting here shaking now too!! Thank God you guys got home and hopefully all in one piece.

I pray Kitzel has no lasting effects what-so-ever. oh, I feel like I'm saying these words to make you feel better.....I just really hope it's true....

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Oh my goodness that is so terrible!!! I am so glad that Kitzel is alive...God was watching over him! And that police officer was an angel!!! I am so worried for poor Kitzel and for you!!! You are in my prayers and please let us know how he is!!! That is not your fault!!! You didn't know he could get into your coat pocket, please don't blame yourself.

So many fluffs sick and in trouble...what is going on?? :(

1 - 20 of 209 Posts