Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kitzi went this AM for his pre-dental & was supposed to take the cardiopet canine proBNP test---but the vet says he has a heart mummer (clearly a grade 3) that was not there in Dec. when she saw him. She took exrays & set up an appt. for this aft. at 3:00 at the cardiologist for an echo. She won't do the dental on him until he has seen the cardiologist, even though she really wants to go through w/keeping the dental appt for now. She doesn't want bacteria from the mouth to affect his heart.
I felt something was going on as he makes a "wheezing" sound when I pick him up (since at least a month ago) & coughs some. He is so stoic & such a little trooper that I always am a bit unsure how much he is hiding from me.
The vet did say "his heart is round" but since he has a big barrel chest that is not unusual. He has the tiniest bit of fluid at the bottom of the heart.
So, off we go!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
That sounds scary Sandi, especially with it coming on so quickly. Sending prayers for Kitzi.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
i find it soo odd that our dogs went from never having one to a murmur grade 3. Did Kitzel have a Dental last year. I wonder if that’s what brought on Lacie’s. She was fine on her dental 10 months ago, yet since then she developed one.
How does this happen?

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Sending prayers and hugs for you and Kitzi! Please keep us posted on the updates.

·
Premium Member
17,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you ALL so much---appreciate your engagement, prayers & thoughts. It is 8:12 & I am exhausted---got in around mid-night last night after a physically busy month taking care of my DD & grand-son. They are both well now!!!! Yay!!!!! Took K & L in to normal vet today & ended around 5:00 at cardiologist. I will write a report tomorrow. Yes, he has an issue, but it could be worse. It is a definite 3. He has an issue w/valve. We were very impressed w/the excellent IF very expensive cardiologist. I told her I thought I can't afford her and today's visit would be a "one & done" so she said she would see me in 6 months & my vet can help in the mean-time. So I will sleep tonight happy to know at last with what we are dealing. Good night & much love.
PS: they gave K a treat after his echo & so Lisi got a bit too---the first time ever in her life tonight she refused her food!

·
Premium Member
17,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been a very rough day. Lisi has not eaten since Mon. I am forcing fluids & tried all day to get her into the ER clinic. She is vomiting gelatinous bile---quite a lot. She has been shivering off & on for about 3 wks. We have seen a vet in MD & now her local vet, who is off today (saw her briefly yesterday when working on Kitzi's issue) She briefly examined L---who was only in for the blood heart test & said she seemed gassy---she had no other symptoms. In the aft. she took a turn for the worse & it has all gone very downhill.
Back to Kitzi. He has a clear grade 3 murmur which is new since December. The cardiologist, (who was excellent) said he has "moderate to mild valve disease. He has a ruptured chordae tendinae (simply put---one of the "strings" that surrounds the heart valve & helps it to work correctly has totally severed--like a broken rubber band) causing regurgitation. She says it is progressive & we can only "slow down that progression." His damage is to mitral & tricupsid valve causing heart murmur. The progression may over time, lead to increasing left atrial & left ventricular pressure which could lead to congestive heart failure. For the moment we will not do meds---he should have his dental on Fri. w/lots of extra precautions which she has laid out to my vet. The cardiologist feels we need to move fwd. w/that to keep bacteria out of his heart. She gave us explicit instructions on home monitoring for the moment.

Lisi's dental is cancelled!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Sandi I'm so sorry to hear all this. This is a lot for you to have happen all at once. Sending prayers your way.

·
Premium Member
9,501 Posts
Wow, my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry they are having such a rough time. Please take care of yourself too, because you have had such a rough time lately.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Sandi, My heart is saddened - You were suppose to come home and have some well deserved relaxation time & have your life get back to normal. I am so very sorry to read this update on Lisi & Kitzi. Please know you and our precious Lisi & Kitzi are in my prayers. Please keep us updated. Hugs

When does your hubby get back home?
1583979321368.png

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Hi Sandi,

We just finally got to catch up on this post. We're saddened and so very sorry to hear of the complications Kitzi and Lisi are going through. You definitely have your hands full. We are praying for Kitzi and Lisi to pull through. Sending hugs and prayers to you and the pups.

·
Premium Member
17,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE--
Thurs night.
I will try not to add so much detail but Lisi has been diagnosed w/another mass in her small intestines. It is about 5 cm. which is large for her size & there is a partial blockage---extending into the casing. She stopped eating & drinking & was in pretty bad shape when she got to the critical care supervisor at the ER hospital where she went for the other surgery last Aug. 27. You may rremember that the pathology report was quite strange. Anyhow they wanted to do surgery Thurs. aft, but we declined. We felt the reoccurrence was probable given the short amount of time from the last surgery & a clean US in early Nov.
Only today when we thought we might have to end her suffering did she rally. She still can't eat much at one time & nothing that isn't very soft. She got sub q fluids today. It has been a roller-coaster ride. I have my first fever blister EVER from all the stress. We are now trying to decide if we should chance another surgery. It is a very big surgery. She is stronger today but may have not made it had we operated on Thurs. It is also very expensive---so we need to know if it would actually return so quickly again, but no one can tell us.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Oh Sandi, I am so sorry. This is just heartbreaking. You guys have been through so much and it’s just so hard to know the next right thing to do. I hope the doctors can help guide you in some way, and that Lisi is able to be comfortable. Your love and devotion to your babies is an incredible blessing to K&L, and with Gods wisdom, I pray the best treatment path will become clear. If you decide that surgery is the best option for Lisi, I hope you will consider allowing me to set up a Go Fund Me for you to help with the costs. With the many blessings you guys have given people all around the world, I am hopeful we could get you the financial support needed to cover the surgical costs. Just let me know, and I’ll get it started right away, if you think it might help. We love you guys so much, so please know we are here, and holding your hand in prayer.

·
Super Moderator
10,110 Posts
Sandi, I am so sorry you and Lisi are going through this. It's a horrible decision to have to make, and only you know what's best for Lisi in terms of quality of life. Sending many hugs and much love to you both!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Oh Sandi, I'm so sorry to hear that Lisi is so sick again. This just breaks my heart for what you are dealing with. :cry: Praying that sweet little girl keeps on fighting.

·
Premium Member
17,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She is a stong little fighter! We have been told twice by two different vets that we may be just "buying time" but we will take it for today!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Hi Sandi,

Just checking in to see how you and the babies are doing. Pork Chop and Emmie send hugs to precious Lisi as well.

·
Premium Member
17,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you V & Ann!
How is your little guy? He is in my prayers as I pray for Lisi. We love them so much! Is Ann still driving back & forth? Does he finish up on the 27th? Kisses to his little head.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts