Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Yes, smaller Breeds such as Yorkies as well as Maltese can have Knee problems and Luxating Patellas is common. Our little 2.9 oz Laci has two Luxating Patellas and one knee is a Grade Four. The Breeder that we got her from told us when we got her that she was a Grade One at l5 weeks old. However, our Vet verified a few days later that she had a Grade 2. I was reimbursed some $$. Fortunately, she is doing very well but we have to make sure that her weight stays the same.

·
Super Moderator
10,413 Posts
Many small breeds have problems with luxating patella and other knee injuries, but there are many successful treatments for them. I've had two with grade 2 luxation and for both of them, all of my vets have said no surgery because they weren't bad enough and the surgery itself is not without complications and is not always successful.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,207 Posts
In addition to maintaining the dog at a healthy slim weight, it is good to keep them from leaping up on high furniture or beds to avoid stress on the knee.
I agree, Lucky had patella issues and I had doggie stairs for him to get on the couch and bed. Casper will not use stairs and although he does not have knee problems, I got him a ramp to get on the couch without jumping.

Reactions: mss

·
Premium Member
20,086 Posts
I have a three year old (Adele) who has a luxating patella...grade 3-4. She's been getting an Adequan shot once a month since she was a baby. Her knee no longer bothers her. If it ever stops working, I assume we may need to have it surgically corrected.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
So far, our little Laci zips around all over the place with her luxating patella. However, our Vet advised right from the start that she most likely would not be able to have any surgery since it would not do her any good. She was three years old in June and so far so good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts