Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little male almost a year old this June 25th and last Sunday he half jumped off the couch and fell bad and tore his logament in his knee ( I took him to the vets Monday moorning and the vet sedated him and took a couple of x-rays and said he needs 2 weeks to take it easy and put him on a bone strenghti med. It has been a week and he seems to be doing better. He no longer holds his little b ack leg up. Anybody ever have a problem like my pup and if so, let me know about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
that sucks:(

well, one time, sprite woke up from a nap and she kept lifting up her leg and i thought that maybe her leg had fallen asleep. well, it turns out that she had the luxating patella and she needs surgery within a few years. it has only happened once...and that happened like 2 yrs ago. lol. so im hoping she's not experiencing any pain.

but we've also moved from a house that had stairs to a house thats only one floor. so i think that's helped A LOT.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If he has a partial cruciate tear, an extended period of crate rest can be adequate for some dogs, especially smaller ones. It takes a lot longer than 2 weeks to heal, however. If he just has a soft tissue injury, 2 weeks would be plenty.

If he has a complete or almost complete cruciate tear, the chances of it healing on its own without degenerative joint disease and other painful changes are not very good. Surgery is usually the best option.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awhile back I posted a thread where Brinkley jumped out of my lap to get out of the car...well, the van...so it was somewhat higher than just a car. When he hit the pavement he yelped and favored his back leg pretty badly.
I took him to the vet the next day, and he said his knees were popping some, but he felt like he had just strained his back legs when he landed....(we were both hoping!)...so he gave him a shot of an anti-inflammatory and sent me home with some (don't remember the name)...he was MUCH better the next day, and when I took him back, he said his legs seemed fine!
Whew! So, anyway...hopefully it is the same situation, and he will be fine...I will try to find that thread and post it in an edit here...I don't remember what all was said in it to be honest.

Here is the link to the original thread when that happened...Click Here!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.