Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my life I've wanted to learn to knit and/or crochet.

How many of my SM friends know how to knit?

How many know how to crochet?

For those that do both -- which do you prefer and why?

Please let me know where/how you learned. Are there classes available?

Most of the patterns I've seen that I like are crochet patterns.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
I crochet. I tried knitting a few times and I just can't get the hang of it. I learned to crochet when I was a little kid from my mom and my grandmother, so I've been doing it a long time. This past summer, my daughter decided that she wanted to crochet, so she asked me to show her how, but she couldn't follow my instructions and so all we did was get frustrated. She found some youtube videos about how to do the various crochet patterns and she was able to learn through those.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
I both crochet and knit and as you know Lynn I've been taking lessons. Wish you lived here:) I think that crocheting is easier -- it's more pulling through the hook rather than coordinating the needles, but I like all the intricate designs like cable stitch that you do in knitting. I always knew how to do both from my mother (she was an expert) but never could make anything but scarves.Didn't know how to read or follow a pattern...now I do.:chili: Look at learning centers -- I'm taking my lessons at a church up the corner from me - they have computer, fitness, etc classes and I noticed the knitting one. I get a senior discount (over 50) and it's really cheap - $40 for 4 two-hour lessons. And there have only been either one person in my class or it's been private. Look around at community center places, some knitting stores, etc. Google knitting in your area too. As soon as I finish the basket weave sweater I'm making for Tyler I'll post it. So cute in bright red:) I just love knitting now and so easy to make things when they're that small.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I knit ( though haven't done it for awhile:blush: ) I learned from my Mom. She started to teach me to crochet as well but I didn't care for it back then so gave up on it but now I wish I had continued.

I see lovely patterns for items in both formats , but to me crocheting seems to go faster and mistakes to me are much easier to pull out and correct with crocheting. Also, in later years all the patterns that catch my eye seem to be crochet ones.

With knitting, if uncomplicated pattern, I can 'un-do' back to area of mistake if only a few rows... but in more complicated patterns...nope! Can't tell you the numbers of projects partially done, but an 'error' somewhere that I stuck needles, yarns and patterns into bag and donated to thrift shops or senior citizen centers LOL

Will say I 'cheated' on a sweater once... was for a child and after all done noticed a 'blip' on the chest that I never noticed till all done. I got a lady who does all kinds of needle work to create a embroidered design to cover it up LOL

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If you have a Michaels or JoAnns close, they may have classes. I can do both, neither well.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i can do both, but i love knitting because i can watch tv etc. while doing it... learned the basics from grandma - everything else by trying - AFTER that i found the videos on youtube - lol...

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I only know how to crochet and only the very basic...I'm crocheting potholder right now.:blush: mmmm maybe I take some lesson when I move, I may have a lot of time on my hands:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,437 Posts

I have made snowflakes similar to these years ago, but I don't really crochet. I just try different crafts sometimes and a friend showed me how. I printed some patterns from the web. I've made dishclothes too (pretty simple squares but still mine were not the best). I liked the snowflakes because they were quick and simple.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts

I have made snowflakes similar to these years ago, but I don't really crochet. I just try different crafts sometimes and a friend showed me how. I printed some patterns from the web. I've made dishclothes too (pretty simple squares but still mine were not the best). I liked the snowflakes because they were quick and simple.

I love the snowflakes they're beautiful! My mom taught me how to crochet when i was younger, but it was difficult since she's left handed and she would also knit. I have always loved watching people knit, it just fascinates me watching the knitting needles. I would love to learn to knit one day so i can make some sweaters for the pup pups. I'll have to see if there is a knitting class offered in my area.

·
Premium Member
13,437 Posts
thanks, really I should post a photo of the ones I made, I haven't put them on my tree yet. Then I will see how good my memory is, and if they are how similar they are to these in the pics. I admire knitters too and like the sound of the needles clicking. My sister knit my family's christmas stockings and lots of sweaters over the years.

I love the snowflakes they're beautiful! My mom taught me how to crochet when i was younger, but it was difficult since she's left handed and she would also knit. I have always loved watching people knit, it just fascinates me watching the knitting needles. I would love to learn to knit one day so i can make some sweaters for the pup pups. I'll have to see if there is a knitting class offered in my area.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I know how to do both. I think its actually nice to know both. I can make scarves, slippers, hats, mittens, etc. with knitting and it really looks nice. But I also make toys and stuffed animals using crochet (called amigurumi). I definitely think that crochet is more useful for things like that. It just depends on what you want to make. If you are after making a scarf, then knitting would be a great start. It looks difficult at first but when you get the hang of holding a needle in each hand plus the yarn, its really no big deal.

My friend taught me to knit 6 years ago...and tried to teach me to crochet, but I couldn't wrap my brain around it until I bought a book for teen girls that taught how to crochet! lol

Here are some of the knit things I have made:

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I know how to do both. I think its actually nice to know both. I can make scarves, slippers, hats, mittens, etc. with knitting and it really looks nice. But I also make toys and stuffed animals using crochet (called amigurumi). I definitely think that crochet is more useful for things like that. It just depends on what you want to make. If you are after making a scarf, then knitting would be a great start. It looks difficult at first but when you get the hang of holding a needle in each hand plus the yarn, its really no big deal.

My friend taught me to knit 6 years ago...and tried to teach me to crochet, but I couldn't wrap my brain around it until I bought a book for teen girls that taught how to crochet! lol

Here are some of the knit things I have made:

Kelly you have made some beautiful things. :)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
All my life I've wanted to learn to knit and/or crochet.

How many of my SM friends know how to knit?

How many know how to crochet?

For those that do both -- which do you prefer and why?

Please let me know where/how you learned. Are there classes available?

Most of the patterns I've seen that I like are crochet patterns.
IF you call knowing how to crochet making afgans, then I know. :HistericalSmiley: I don't know how to do anything else though. Taking lessons is a good idea! Maybe JoAnn's Fabric Store, they give classes all the time.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well I know the basics of both. And both I have self-taught. Mostly by watching YouTube videos, seems to be the best. I have a few crochet books.

My grandma showed me how to crochet a single chain about 2 years ago, because she used to and my great grandma used to. My great grandma used to crochet with real fine threads and make doilies and tableclothes and stuff. So after that I was hooked (hahhaha no pun intended :HistericalSmiley:). But I don't make useful things at all. All I do with crochet is amigurumi.

Like this

Not really useful, cute! But I have yet to make anything in crochet other than that. Then I got away from it for a while.

And just last week actually decided I wanted to learn to knit hahha...must be the time of year, because it was 2 winters ago I learned to crochet. And I am still practicing with that. But am actually making a scarf!! Something useful!!!!

Its actually this Log In / Join the Lion Brand community to get free knitting and free crochet patterns and more!= You just gotta sign up if your email to see all kind of wonderful free patterns. Its the Knit 2 Hours Or Less Scarf (Don't know where they get 2 hours or LESS...because it's definitely not. But it is super easy) I'm about halfway done with it. And basically just last week watched a bunch of practice videos to learn the methods, and started with that. Actually I started and practiced with 1 yarn with size 10 knit needles. But this particular pattern is size 19 knit needles with THREE yarns.

Personally I think the knitting is much easier. You can actually talk and watch TV while knitting. I am constantly counting with crochet. I do use a stitch marker eventually for bigger stuff. But that is the problem with crocheting in the round (what I do for amigurumi) you need all your attention on that. And it is much smaller and intricate I think. I mean you do have to pay attention with knitting too. I just find it to be easier. But I am defintely only a beginner at both. I stick with simple patterns. I figure I'll get better with practice over time, for both. So it's kind of good to know both actually!!

I dunno, for starting, I think I picked up the knitting faster. But that's just me. I read about the comparisons about both before I started knitting, and some people said the same, some the opposite. So try both and see what you like better!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Me I can only crochet. My mom taught me when I was little I can make scarfs and blankets.

My mom is the guru of knitting and crocheting she does the dollies, lace (in Malta they are taught to do this craft very popular) needlepoint, cross stich, and she sews. Me I tried knitting but its the casting on and off the freaks me out..

Yes Lion brand has alot of dog patterns. I printed some off for my mom to make some sweaters for Max. If I do it there will be alot of holes...he he..Once my mom was helping me make a baby sweater and I crochet the arm hole over and had to start again..Maybe I am due for a class refresher Micheals here I come...

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Brenda - I love the snowflakes. They're so delicate looking, like the real thing. And Kelly - wow - great work. Did you use circular needles for the hat and the pointed needles to end it? And Amanda those little amigurumi animals are adorable. Wow, lots of talent here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts