Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I comb and brush Summer everyday,( she HATES IT)
I give her treats and tell her how beautiful she is
I try to brush her 2 times a day when I'm at the comp.in the AM and in the evening. I let her down when she gets really upset. I don't know maybe I shouldn't do that ? She's getting her way right
The problem is she's getting matts under her front legs, shoulders and rump.

She fights when I get to those areas. . I took her to a new groomer friday and she shaved under her arms ( front legs) because she had a couple of really bad ones. Kelly the groomer said she would NOT try to comb them out because it was to painful for Summer I agreed, so she shaved or cut them out u can't tell at all. Going to take her every week now to be groomed
So is there a trick to keeping the matts down or do i have to break down an clip her
Her hair is about 21/2 to 3 in. long) ALso is there a site that shows different looks for the malts and if I do clip what size blade do u use I know I don't what her real short Would like puppy cut.
I'm one of those people that freak out if someone cuts mine or my kids hair bad ( I know it will grow back, I'am getting better the older I get :lol: ) If Summer got a bad hair cut I would just cry
She's so beautiful

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I just had Abbey trimmed down to 2". She had to be scissor cut as they don't have an attachment that is this long. It was a big difference to us from seeing her with 4" long hair. She looks so much bigger and almost "naked" looking to us. My groomer said she was too small to carry any shorter puppy cut. I'm going to maintain 4" length from now on but Abbey (so far) does not seem to mat much. Are you using a detangler spray when you brush her out? I use petsilk leave in conditioner spray and love it!
Abbey doesn't mind being brushed though, so I guess I'm lucky. I lay her on my lap and brush one side, then flip her over and brush the other side.
Maybe you could try brushing her when she's really sleepy. Abbey's sleepy time is 9:00pm, she can't be woke for anything then.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I 've heard that before brushing while their sleepy Will try that to night She lets me brush her its just if she has a knot its like oh no
not again
I just bought Ice on Ice so I hope this will solve the problem I too like the longer look

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If she wears a harness, trimming that coat is probably the easiest. Otherwise you probably just are not brushing to the skin in that area. Try laying her on her back in your lap to brush her legs, belly, and armpits. Don't forget to go through the coat with a comb after to be sure you got all the way through.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
That's the key, as JMM says. You've got to brush her all the way to the skin (in sections starting underneath first) and use a really good pin brush like A#1 All Systems or the Chris Christensen Gold Series (good if she has a more cottony coat), then follow up with a comb to make sure you've gotten out all the mats.

Summer may be fussing if she's matted because it's uncomfortable. Once you get her mat-free, it will be pretty fast and ouchless to groom her. And be sure and treat her!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I have the chis brush and a good comb, U might be right I might not be going all the way to the skin, She just hates it I've been giving her treats every time I brush and telling her HOW BEAUTIFUL she is
Well I'll keep trying and hopefully she will start to like it agian
JMM she only wears the harness everyonce in awhile if we go on long walks etc she does wear a collar.. the groomers are telling me to get the rolled ones they just seem so heavy to me.. I kept the collar on during the day with a little bell so I could hear her . she pretty much stays right by us now so she doesn't wear the collar as much only if we go out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts