Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have had my maltese/yorkie for 3 months and she just recently started getting VERY knotty all over her body. I am taking her to get groomed tomorrow and I am worried she will come back bald. Would it be silly for me to say leave an inch or so of hair? and will they be able to get all these knots out!?

Thank you!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It depends on how matted she is. A co-worker recently had to have her Yorkie completely shaved because the mats were so bad. She also got a big lecture from the groomer about neglecting such a beautiful dog! The groomer made her sign a a waiver since the mats were so close to the skin, Sugar could have be easily cut and require stitches. She also charged her more than the standard grooming.

If the mats aren't too bad, maybe she can work them out and leave a an inch or so, though.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Can we see a picture of your puppy. We love pictures.

When they are really matted they cut most of the hair off . I'm sure the groomer will try there best if you ask them. It just might be hard depending on how bad it is

After your puppy gett groom you may like to purcase this product it is really good with maintaining mats.

Here is the link to the topic.

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3146

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes, they will probably have to shave you pup. I had to get my dog Quincy shaved down yesterday, (still sick about it) , he had a beautiful long thick coat, but I went on vacation for 10 days...
Please show us some pictures of your pup, I am sure he is just adorable, matted, knotted or shaved!
Quincymom

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I use the Bless the Beast pom. It is the best stuff. I rub a little bit into a matt and it combs out. Lacey has been getting some matts on her stomach/chest area so I have been rubbing these areas with the pom and she hasn't been getting any matts. You can purchase the 3 piece set on QVC. It comes with the shampoo, pom and a spray in. I don't use the spray. Lacey smells good all by herself. I used the spray the other day in my car and it was wonderful.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I read in one of the Maltese books that I got to use detangler. I will never brush Rex without detangler again! It worked wonderfully! He had a big matt the other night and I just sprayed it heavily and it brushed right out. When he doesnt have a big tangle I just mist his whole body before I brush him, only enough where it dries by the time I am done brushing. His hair is shiny and smells great when we are done. I am just using kids detangler that is tear free as well, it isnt the conditioning kind, so it doesnt leave his hair looking greasy.
Maltese look cute with short hair too, so if your baby has to get his cut off I wouldnt look at it as a bad thing, I would look at it as a chance to start over!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts