Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got my foster, Kirby, his skin was bright pink and seemed irritated. He never licked at it, but by comparison with my malts I could tell it wasn't right. I have been adding 1/2 tsp. of coconut oil to his food daily. After 2 weeks his skin is now flesh colored and looks normal. His eyes seem brighter also. Plus, he just came into the laundry room and stole my husband's underwear. Now if that is not a normal dog, I don't know what is
. I am thrilled with his progress.
BTW...I got the coconut oil idea from Whole Dog Journal. Does anyone else subscribe to this?

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Wow that is great
, thanks for sharing it, I will certainly keep it in mind if Scooby ever shows signs of a dry skin problem

Is it a certain type or brand of coconut oil, if so where is it available?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I read this today - what a good idea. Teddy loves coconut oil, and I'll tell you a secret about it as well.

I use it every single day and my skin looks just so much better than before. My mom got me to start using it, and you can't imagine all of the purposes it can serve. I use it because I get ezcyema (sp?) and it helps to lock in moisture, plus it is perfume free so I am not allergic to it. It also gives you a very pretty glow and shine, without looking oily. Plus, it is an awesome make-up remover (I wear liquid eye liner, so this is a big plus for me) and imagine what all of the nutrients and vitamins are doing for your skin and around your eyes, and neck.

Teddy loves to try to lick the coconut oil off of my feet and legs when I get out of the shower. I didn't realize it was OK for them to consume, so I always shooed him away. I'll try adding it to his food now for his dry skin problems! Thanks!!

-Jackie & Teddy

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Teddy7@Oct 18 2005, 03:51 PM
I read this today - what a good idea. Teddy loves coconut oil, and I'll tell you a secret about it as well.

I use it every single day and my skin looks just so much better than before. My mom got me to start using it, and you can't imagine all of the purposes it can serve. I use it because I get ezcyema (sp?) and it helps to lock in moisture, plus it is perfume free so I am not allergic to it. It also gives you a very pretty glow and shine, without looking oily. Plus, it is an awesome make-up remover (I wear liquid eye liner, so this is a big plus for me) and imagine what all of the nutrients and vitamins are doing for your skin and around your eyes, and neck.

Teddy loves to try to lick the coconut oil off of my feet and legs when I get out of the shower. I didn't realize it was OK for them to consume, so I always shooed him away. I'll try adding it to his food now for his dry skin problems! Thanks!!

-Jackie & Teddy
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110972
[/QUOTE]

I did a search and read about all the benefits of coconut oil. The Whole Dog Journal just sang it's praises. I give it to all my dogs now. They are not getting anywhere near the eye **** they were getting. It may be my imagination, but their coats look better too. In the journal, this man gave his dogs the oil drippings after he fried his eggs. He said that the dog used to have a horrible odor even after a bath. It was so bad they could hardly stand to be in the room with it. After about a week of the coconut oil, he had no odor. They took him off the oil, and the odor came back. It was a very interesting article.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts