Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's Kylee's turnto get spayed. She will be 6 months old tomorrow and is getting spayed on her half birthday...some gift mom, right! Anyway, I have confidence in my vet and am not nervous about the surgery as much as the aftermath..making sure she doesnt bite her stiches, etc. I remember when my cats got spayed it was horrible having to make them walk around in that E-collar. My one cat hated it so much she refused to walk forwards, she just scooted backwards for 2 days! Oh well, we all (well most of us) must go through such things. Well wish us luck! I will update tomorrow when she gets home.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Good Luck!! Ty is at the Vet's tonight, he was neutered today and had his teeth extracted. All went well but my Vet likes to keep them overnight. I'm missing him terrrible tonight

Kylee will do fine, the worst part is when you dro them off and have to leave......I left with tears in my eyes feeling like an idiot!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Sep 28 2005, 07:39 PM
Well it's Kylee's turnto get spayed.  She will be 6 months old tomorrow and is getting spayed on her half birthday...some gift mom, right!  Anyway, I have confidence in my vet and am not nervous about the surgery as much as the aftermath..making sure she doesnt bite her stiches, etc.  I remember when my cats got spayed it was horrible having to make them walk around in that E-collar.  My one cat hated it so much she refused to walk forwards, she just scooted backwards for 2 days!  Oh well, we all (well most of us) must go through such things.  Well wish us luck!  I will update tomorrow when she gets home.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104500
[/QUOTE]
Intead of the e-collar, get a BiteNot. It is wonderful. If your vet doesn't have it you could order one and get it rushed. You will likely need the small cat size. Oh, and good luck tomorrow!!

Bite Not Collar Web Site

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Sep 28 2005, 08:21 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-NewMom328
@Sep 28 2005, 07:39 PM
Well it's Kylee's turnto get spayed.  She will be 6 months old tomorrow and is getting spayed on her half birthday...some gift mom, right!  Anyway, I have confidence in my vet and am not nervous about the surgery as much as the aftermath..making sure she doesnt bite her stiches, etc.  I remember when my cats got spayed it was horrible having to make them walk around in that E-collar.  My one cat hated it so much she refused to walk forwards, she just scooted backwards for 2 days!  Oh well, we all (well most of us) must go through such things.  Well wish us luck!  I will update tomorrow when she gets home.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104500
Intead of the e-collar, get a BiteNot. It is wonderful. If your vet doesn't have it you could order one and get it rushed. You will likely need the small cat size. Oh, and good luck tomorrow!!

Bite Not Collar Web Site

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104510
[/B][/QUOTE]

I hope everything goes well for Kylee!!!!

I'm going to get that collar for Rosie when the time comes, I'll PM you for more information on it later.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I actually never had to use the E-collar for either Puffy or Missy.. i did watch them closely abd if they started to lick or mess with the area I'd just say uh uh and they'd stop and then they seemed to just not be bothered with them... guess I was just lucky!!
Little Nadia was spayed about a month before I got her so I don't know if she needed it or not.
Anyway.. will be saying a special prayer for your little girl!! I'm sure it will all go well!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good luck to Kylee. I'm sure she will be fine. Brie didn't bother with her stitches much, maybe gave a couple of licks and that was that. Let us know how Kylee's doing tomorrow.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
We will keep your baby in our thoughts and prayers. When Sassy was spayed I did not have much trouble with her biting her stitches. However, I did keep a little onesie type thingy on her most of the time. Ask your vet to prescribe some pain meds to bring home. A few drops a day for a couple of days and your baby will feel as good as new. I did not have a problem with Sassy's recovery. The problem I had was trying to keep her as immobile as the vet requested.

FYI: Be prepared to go back to potty training 101 the first couple of days after the surgery. I think these little ones just do not understand why their tummy feels so funny. Accidents are common but your baby will not regress. It will only last for a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone, I have one quick question...Did you guys stay with your little ones for the couple of days after the spay, like take off work to stay with them or were they ok to leave alone? I mean, I dont work right now, so work isnt the problem but should I be prepared to stay with her every minute for the couple of days aftter the surgery? I just have this vision of her being completely helpless and me needing to be sitting on the floor with her for 3 or so days...thanks! ~Lori

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by NewMom328@Sep 28 2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone, I have one quick question...Did you guys stay with your little ones for the couple of days after the spay, like take off work to stay with them or were they ok to leave alone?  I mean, I dont work right now, so work isnt the problem but should I be prepared to stay with her every minute for the couple of days aftter the surgery?  I just have this vision of her being completely helpless and me needing to be sitting on the floor with her for 3 or so days...thanks! ~Lori
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104555
[/QUOTE]

Hugs to Kylee
I know it's scary, but everything will be fine. You won't have to sit on the floor for 3 days, but Kylee will more than likely want some extra cuddle time
You just need to make sure she doesn't run around or jump while her stitches heal. Also as mentioned no licking her stitches. Indy did fine, we didn't need to put a collar on him, but keeping him from running was a whole other story

Let us know how you are both doing

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of Kylee this morning. When Frosty had her spay, I used a infant onesie, I just cut a hole for her tail. This kept her stitches safe, even though she didn't seem to be that bothered by them. I had issues trying to keep her calm for a few days after. Maybe because I got the pain meds and made sure she had them for right after. I didn't want her to be uncomfortable. Just enjoy some extra cuddle times.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Thinking of you today.... Hope all goes well.

Just be sure to get pain meds. It makes such a difference and some vets, for some reason, don't give them automatically. Both of mine got something called Buprenex (sp) which was given to me in syringed doses for me to give for a couple days.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Good Luck today, we'll be thinking of you both today. I also used baby onesies with Baxter but I turned it around and pulled his tail through the middle snap. He looked adorable. XXXOOO-from Baxter

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi was spayed on a Friday. I got to pick her up at 4:30 that day. I stayed home with her that night and most of the weekend. I think I had to run to the store once or twice for something. It was great cuddle time.

For Nikki I'm planning on having her spayed on a Thursday and I will be taking off work on Friday. That way I can spend some time with them and make sure they are ok together.

I also used a baby onsie (or however you spell it
). I only used the e-collar for when I was at work. If I was home I just used the baby onsie.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by DanaH@Sep 29 2005, 09:17 AM
Good Luck today, we'll be thinking of you both today.  I also used baby onesies with Baxter but I turned it around and pulled his tail through the middle snap.  He looked adorable.  XXXOOO-from Baxter 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104605
[/QUOTE]

You guys are so lucky that your babies were so good after surgery. Catcher would not leave his stitches alone for one single minute. He was obsessed!! I tried the onesie... and he would try to chew through it. I was at my wit's end. Then my vet finally gave me the BiteNot collar which was a lifesaver....

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I hope that everything goes well for Kylee's surgery. Bijou had a tiny pill for pain that I had to cut into 4 pieces. If I wasn't around all of the time and he could go away from me and play on his own I would have purchased a bite not collar. Please keep us informed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts