Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, today was the day that l.e. had her spay and ambilical hernia removed. we just got home and she's really sleepy right now. i can't help but feel so sorry for her. she's already gone potty and tried to make it to her potty pad so i guess that's a good sign. she went poops too but that was kinda icky and i won't got into too much detail
are there any tips to help make her feel any better besides her pain meds? oh, she also had four teeth pulled, poor thing. she keeps licking her mouth like it hurts.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It is not unusual for them to have a soft mucousy poo once or twice after surgery. I call it, very untechnically, anesthesia poop LOL
As long as it firms up not to worry.

Licking their lips is often a sign that they're nauseous. It might be from the stress of the day and an empty stomach. For an extra special treat and since she had teeth pulled, bland diets for dogs include boiled white rice with boiled white meat chicken or the rice combined with low fat cottage cheese. If she's still licking tomorrow, give the vet a ring to see if maybe she could have a little pepcid or even just a tums to settle things down.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I hope your lil baby gets well soon!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Aw Hope she's feeling better soon they seem to bounce back pretty quick Like little kids
She'll be fine in a few days Summer was

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all so much.

she's doing a little better today. we had a rough night last night, but have gotten some rest today. she is having a really hard time with walking to go potty and eating and drinking. she usually cries and like the sap that i am, i carry her to her potty pad or bring her bowls to her. i know i probably shouldn't baby her too much, but i feel so sorry for her.

she has eaten quite a bit, which i know is a good sign, but i'm worried about her poops now. she hasn't gone all day and i just know she probably has to. i'm going to cook her some rice and see if that makes her a bit happier!

i definitely think i'm taking this harder than i should, but my heart just goes out to her when she is in so much pain.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I think she deserves to be extra pampered and extra spoiled! She doesn't feel well! Take care!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update...

well she still hasn't pooped but i guess that's pretty normal. the lastest thing she's started to do is panting. i've tried offering her some water, but she doesn't want it. i think it might me she's in pain?

i also just want to say thanks so ya'll. it's so nice to know i can come here and ask questions about my little girl. it's definitely helped me the past two days!!!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Panting can be a sign of pain.Is she getting pain meds? I think after sugery it takes a few days for their systems to get back to normal. But you can try some pumpkin to help her potty,or give the vet a call and see waht he says.Hope she feels better soon.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by elliesmomie@Jun 25 2005, 08:01 PM
thank you all so much. 

she's doing a little better today.  we had a rough night last night, but have gotten some rest today.  she is having a really hard time with walking to go potty and eating and drinking.  she usually cries and like the sap that i am, i carry her to her potty pad or bring her bowls to her. i know i probably shouldn't baby her too much, but i feel so sorry for her.she has eaten quite a bit, which i know is a good sign, but i'm worried about her poops now.  she hasn't gone all day and i just know she probably has to.  i'm going to cook her some rice and see if that makes her a bit happier!

i definitely think i'm taking this harder than i should, but my heart just goes out to her when she is in so much pain.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75143
[/QUOTE]

I don't know of any reason not to baby her.... especially after surgery, I say, baby her all you want to .... I think it's great to baby her.....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
she pooped last night!!! yay l.e.!!! i was very proud of her. it seemed to bother her a little bit, but i'm very relieved that she did.

she is on pain meds, but she still seems to be uncomfortable. she was up and walking around a little late last night, but today she seems to be a little more sore. she wimpers when she stands up and when she sits. i'll just have to wait and see how she is in a couple of hours. if she isn't any better i'm going to call the vet.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Shrekkie was given pain meds that were supposed to be one dose per 24 hours. Well, he was in so much pain that they had worn off after 12 hours. So, for the first two days, we gave him his drops every 12 hours instead of every 24. It made all the difference in the world. He was pain free and back on track in no time at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts