Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a local store yesterday and the man that owned it had an enormous dog that I didn't recognize. He told me it was a labradoodle. I had NO idea that the labradoodle was so big! It was much bigger than a golden or a lab. And the man said it was still a puppy and wasn't finished growing! I couldn't believe it. It seemed like a sweet dog though. Just wondering if they are all that big, or just the one that I saw. It was slightly smaller than a St. Bernard....

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 9 2005, 10:52 PM
I think they are a cross between a standard poodle and a labrador.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118528
[/QUOTE]

This is one of the biggest puppymill ripoffs going. People are taking a $200 female Lab and breeding her to a male Standard Poodle. Pups go for up to $1500.
These folks are advertising them as being OK for people who have allergies.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But this one was so much bigger than either a lab or std. poodle. That's the part that surprised me. You are right, LucyLou, people are paying huge sums for them.

·
Registered
416 Posts
One thing about crosses.. They get much bigger often than the beginning parents.

Take a look at Boom, he's half malt, half pom. Malts are generally between 4-7 pounds, Poms a lil larger it seems (6-10ish) but Boom came out fully grown at 17 pounds! It's like he took the two weights and just added them together.

Some strange things can happen when you cross dogs. Not to say I don't love Boom, he's my love and he knows it. He slept from 5:30 - 6:30 using mommy's cheek as a pillow.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Have you heard about the new designer dog? Its a Puggle (pug/beagle mix). I saw a clip on one of those entertainment news shows. Its the it dog in hollywood.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 10 2005, 08:26 AM
Have you heard about the new designer dog?  Its a Puggle (pug/beagle mix).  I saw a clip on one of those entertainment news shows.  Its the it dog in hollywood. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118577
[/QUOTE]

My friend has a puggle. I don't think he paid a lot for the pup though. But oh my goodness, she is ADORABLE!!! I love the picture you have here.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Have you heard about the new designer dog?  Its a Puggle (pug/beagle mix).  I saw a clip on one of those entertainment news shows.  Its the it dog in hollywood. 

[/QUOTE]
awww, cute!!! Of course I think all puppies are cute.
My friend at work has a pootriever(sp?). I think she said she's about 50 pounds. She told me about labradoodles too, and that they are expensive. I'd never even heard of either of these before that.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
The pet store they interviewed on the entertainment news show was selling the for like $750-1000 (can't remember the amount but i remember thinking it was a lot).

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 10 2005, 09:35 AM
Labradoodles and other kinds of doodles, poos, uggies, orkies...the list goes on....are not recognized by the AKC.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118609
[/QUOTE]
Yes I know. There is a new club now for them I guess (
). By the way mutts are now called hybrids. LOL. The club is the American Canine Hybrid Club (ACHC). LOL! That is nuts! They even have a list of "Recognized Hybrid Breeds".

When you go to the weblinks there is a link for " Pure Breed Dog Registries: Here are the best purebreed dog registries that are avialble". It takes you to a link for the American Pet Registry (APR). The description is "The BEST Pure Breed Dog Registry on the planet!!". Come on! That's the puppymills registery!

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Since some doodle breeders are using minature poodles instead of standard poodles, all Labradoodles aren't really big. My daughter has a 5 month old puppy who is going to be about 40 lbs. full-grown. He is a darling in temperment, but I think they are funny looking, with the kind of curely hair on a body that looks like a lab. To me they are just mutts. If you want a mutt (mixed breed), and a big dog for your kids to play with they should be great---except paying such prices for a mix you could get at the pound it ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
i saw two labradoodles not long ago in the back of a car, they were huge, took up the whole back of a pretty big car, i probably would never buy one but i like their look

·
Registered
4,856 Posts

[/QUOTE]
My neighbor up the street has a beagle and was telling me about the Puggle. She said they were really cute but I couldn't imagine what it would look like. This picture is really cute!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
at petsmart, i met this totally retarded lady with a maltese/shihtzu/yorkie mix---and had this stupid name for this "breed". i was like "im just gonna put shih mix in the system" and she got offended!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
a coworker has a labradoodle....it definitely was huge.

and i washed a "puggle" a couple of months ago---it was cute---because it was a puppy.

i think people should start searching what an adult dog looks like when they want a puppy.

OH, and i hate it when people talk about how much money they spend on their crossbred dogs. they'd probably poo their pants if they stumbled across spoiled maltese---and how much most of us have paid

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
our neighbor has a puggle too. her name is peanut. (the dog, not the neighbor)

peanut is probably fullgrown, and is not much bigger than a buttercup. her mother loves that peanut and buttercup like to play with one another, as it makes us all giggle endlessly when we yell out "peanut buttercup!" LOL

peanut acts like a perpetual puppy. she's very cute. i think peanut was actually an "accidental breeding" because her owner said she got her from a co-worker for $50 or something crazy. peanut is super cute. i adore her immensely!

i'm not big on doodles, but i also get creeped out by giant poodles anyway...

ann marie and "poodles are not naturally THAT big...at least they SHOULDN'T be...they're creepy and scary!" buttercup

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think standard poodles are very tall, possibly taller than labs?? Either way, who knows if the breeder would actully even use purebred labs and poodles since they can't register the pups so maybe it was part St Bernard??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts