Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am hoping someone can help me. Last Saturday I took Lacey to her regular groomer. This woman has been grooming Lacey for about 7 months now and Lacey just loves her. There were some other dogs being groomed and one of those dogs was not to happy about being there - made Lacey a little tense. While to make a long story short Lacey was not a good little girl...she tried biting the groomer twice, she shook the whole time she was there, would not stand still and was just a nasty little girl to the groomer. She knows this groomer and I trust the groomer completely. She was so upset that Lacey wouldn't even give her a puppy kiss like she usually does. Lacey was so upset with me that when I put her in my car in her carseat she did nothing but bark at me for a full 10 minutes. She finally laid down and went to sleep. Lacey is a very friendly little dog. She just turned one and she isn't giving me any problems. In fact I am sending her back to dog obience school so she can train my husband...he lets her get away with murder! She does exactly what I want her to but for my husband he will tell her something and she thinks about it and if she doesn't want to do it, she doesn't and of course hubby lets her get away with it. I have been wondering if I should give Lacey something to calm her down before her next grooming appointment. Any thoughts? Like I said I know this groomer and she has always been wonderful to Lacey, in fact she groomed my cocker spaniel for years and I was never worried about how she treated my dog or dissatisfied with the cut.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I'm not a doctor but i thought it was bad to give a small dog a type of relaxing drug... but i dunno.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Mar 4 2005, 01:31 PM
I'm not a doctor but i thought it was bad to give a small dog a type of relaxing drug... but i dunno.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39880
[/QUOTE]

Sunny is a good deal bigger than Kodie but when we took him on a plan the vet said we could give him half a benadryl, i wouldnt do that for a gromming appointment though within 30min he was asleep and off in his own little world lol

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would't drug her up. Rather, I'd trust Lacey's instinct. I always pay attention to my dogs' behavior when it suddenly changes, going on the theory that something caused the change. She was obviously trying to tell you something was wrong. I'd pay attention to this, particularly since she usually handles the grooming very well. Why don't you interview the groomer to identify the cause of the upset, and avoid the conditions leading to her distress?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Mar 4 2005, 03:39 PM
Maybe and I hope that it was that other dog that made her so nervous?  Maybe you can take her back without an appointment some day, without that dog there, just to see if she seems calm again and go from there.

Good luck!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39958
[/QUOTE]
Good advice,poor Lacey

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the advice. I think part of the problem is that Lacey has been in the house since the end of October. It has been too cold to take her outside and be with other people and see and hear different things. It has been so cold here in Northeast Ohio and lots and lots of snow. She was doing great before then...took her to the park everynight and she was becoming the little social butterfly and now she is only used to being in the house. So hubby and I are going to try getting her out more...not to many places here were you are welcomed to take your dog. Wished I lived somewhere more dog friendly. I have been told that Miami is a great place for dogs. I spoke with my vet and she said I could give Lacey some childrens dramimen (sp?). A friend of mine has a bicon that gets car sick and nervous when being groomed and that is what she gives.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have to say it's funny that Lacey gave you a full 10 minute scolding!
Poor little girl.

I think before I tried the drugging tool, I'd take her back to the groomers when no other dog is there. If your groomer is concerned as she sounds, she should be able to advise you of a time when Lacey would either be first or last and you could stay to reassure her. It sounds like the 'mad dog' is what frightened her and not the groomer. Poor thing. I hope you get it worked out, it's hard to find a good groomer. Big reassuring hugs to Lacey from IzzyBella.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the advice. Spoke with the groomer, she called to make sure Lacey was okay, and she said to bring Lacey in when she is not busy. Maybe the other dogs made her nervous. She said if that didn't work she would come to the house and try. She is really a good groomer and she does take wonderful care of Lacey so we will try again. She isn't suppose to come to customers houses because her boss wouldn't get the money so I don't want to get her in any trouble so I will keep my mouth closed and not say a thing. She is a really sweet, young woman and she is very good with Lacey so I don't want to lose her services. It is so hard to find a groomer that is good and that does care about your dog. She was more upset than I was about the short haircut. I don't think Lacey was being very good about staying still. I told her not to worry, hair grows back and I think Lacey prefers the short hair.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It sounds like the situation won't happen again. That's a relief. Your groomer sounds like one of a kind. Glad you're giving it another shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts