Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long story.

As I've shared many times, Lacie is terribly afraid of thunderstorms. Many of you have fluffs that have a type of panic attack during storms. I purchased the Thundershirt in May and that has really helped Lacie during the storms.

BUT -- last night, she woke me up around 3:30 a.m. having a panic attack just like we were having or going to have a storm. There isn't a cloud in the sky, no storm, no lights (like lightening), no noise, nothing, but she was acting just as wild as when there is a storm. She was shaking uncontrollably.

I was so comfy and Tilly and Secret were comfy too and I didn't get up to get the Thundershirt. Instead, I held Lacie next to my body, wrapped my arms around her and applied light pressure with my hands to simulate the thundershirt. I didn't talk to her or pet her or cuddle her, just kept applying light pressure. She didn't struggle to get away and stayed next to me quietly shaking. It took about 1/2 hour to get her to be calm, and then I could tell that she wanted me to let her go. She wasn't struggling, but I could just tell. I let go of her and she walked back to her normal place on the bed, curled up and went back to sleep.

I'm concerned because I don't know what caused her reaction. The only times I have seen her have a panic attack is when it storms, when there are fireworks, or when we go over a cattle guard (medal grating) in the road that makes a particular noise. This seemed to be caused by nothing and was out of the blue.

I called Dr. Patricia this morning and she asked if Lacie is OK now. Yes -- Lacie seems fine. She ate breakfast, normal poop, etc. etc. Dr. P told me that she has no idea why Lacie was reacting that way, but reminded me that I had a total panel of lab tests, blood work, etc. done on Lacie only a month ago and everything was fine. Patricia is a personal friend and is often at the house for dinner. She reminded me that Lacie is a "nut case" who does strnage things from time to time. Suggested I watch her and let her know if this happens again.

I'm wondering if she was dreaming about a storm. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I hate to see my little girl get so upset -- especially when I have no idea what caused it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
She may have been dreaming about a thunderstorm. Is it possible a slight trembler happened? She being the reactive one out of the bunch, it's a possibility.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
My vote is that it was a dream. ....wonder what it was....:unsure:

Oh and Linda, Love your new siggy pic! Abbey Girl is so beautiful...

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
A dream maybe ? or I hate to say this, is she close with Jerry ? I would be more concerned about the loved ones in her life than Lacie herself. She might have sensed something is wrong somewhere but of course she cannot tell. Or she dreamed of something that freightened her.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Poor Lacie.:smcry: I would think it might have been a nightmare - have had those myself that feel so real that they wake me and I'm very uneasy for a while. Or these little ones really have very keen senses and it could have been something that we would never have thought about that triggered it -- maybe a military jet flew over, tremors in the earth, anything. It is so interesting how the pressure works and glad you were her thundershirt for the night. Also with the traveling lately, maybe she's just a little more anxious than usual and needs a little more time to settle down home. I don't think there's any medical issue either. Hope she has pleasant dreams tonight. Give her some extra hugs from us.:wub:

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Mine do that too,well before a storm and on clear days. Sometimes I think they can feel the barametric pressure change,I know I can feel it.
Sometimes Bitsy will be fine when it rains,as if it's not even happening,but mostly she shakes. I should try the thunder shirt...I guess I just like to have an excuse to cuddle extra w/ them.
We all pile on the couch,watch TV and comfort each other until the storm passes...

She also does it if I'm not feelling good,especially w/a migraine or an impending kidney attack,weird hwo she senses them before hand...When I had my fibroid, I didn't know it but our Amy did,she kept stepping on my abdomen,it was th eonly way I could feel it. Turns out,she was right.

Might be she's sensing both of you are not quite yourselves..

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Oh poor thing, I hope she is doing better now. I have had panic attacks before and they are NO fun. I am glad you were there to hold her, as I am sure it was more comforting to her than the thunder shirt. (if I had my choice, I would rather hubby hold me until I was done shaking instead of putting on a shirt. Hey, I wonder if a pressure shirt would work the same for people?)

·
Premium Member
10,201 Posts
I'm guessing that maybe Lacie had a bad dream.

That happened to Snowball a few times and at first if concerned me. Snowball he had been having tummy problems ... and, I was afraid he might be experiencing some kind of discomfort or pain. Every once in a blue moon while he is sleeping ... he sounds as though he is whimpering. As soon as I gently touch him and tell him it's okay ... he goes right back into a peaceful sleep. I think the cutest thing is when I heard him "woof" in one of his dreams!

I think you are a good Mommy following up with Dr. Patricia. She knows Lacie's personality and gave you great advice.

Lynn, I hope all of you sleep peacefully tonight. Sending hugs to you, Lacie, Tilly, and Secret. :wub::wub::wub::wub:

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
She also does it if I'm not feelling good,especially w/a migraine or an impending kidney attack,weird hwo she senses them before hand...When I had my fibroid, I didn't know it but our Amy did,she kept stepping on my abdomen,it was th eonly way I could feel it. Turns out,she was right.

Might be she's sensing both of you are not quite yourselves..
That's what I am afraid of.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Yes I vote a dream too. Something must of spooked her. Maybe she heard something fall in the house? I hope it's nothing serious and all of you get a good night's rest tonight Lynn.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
aww poor baby , i wouldnt know but i hope it wasnt nothing , poor baby might have had a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Ah, poor baby. I think a dream or a noise in the house. Sammie jumps up barking when I did not a thing, but he does. Then I'm up wondering what he heard...:unsure:. This reminds me of something I saw on TV, that we should not baby them when this happens or we could make the problem worse. Has anyone else heard that theory? :unsure: because I would do exactly what you did.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
It could have been a dream. Or even a noise like the house settling or something outside that you didn't hear and didn't bother the others. They have such good hearing it just amazes me. I hope you and Lacie sleep well tonight. Give that sweet girl a special treat before bed and tell her it's from me. :wub:

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
A dream maybe ? or I hate to say this, is she close with Jerry ? I would be more concerned about the loved ones in her life than Lacie herself. She might have sensed something is wrong somewhere but of course she cannot tell. Or she dreamed of something that freightened her.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Oh Lynn, I hate to repeat myself, but I wished that you lived closer - to any one of us (here on SM) - so that we could watch over you!:wub:

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
My Naddie is a 'nut-case' too though as come a long way these days. The other day she had the trembles and i couldn't figure out way.... then realized it was hunting season! Though I couldn't hear guns going off, I'm sure she did.

Another thing that sets 'neurotic-Naddie' off is the little 'chirp' of the battery-low-warning on smoke detectors!..sends her into a real twit!

It sounds like Lacie heard 'something' and it could have been a one time noise that you didn't hear but she did..... or as others said it was a bad dream.
Praying you both have a good nights sleep tonight!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts