Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets add another medical issue to her Ibd, chronic pancreatits, Sibo, PLE, demodectic mange, chronic skin allergies, Mvd, luxating patella grade 3-4, b12 and folate deficiency.
Shes been officially dx with a leaky heart valve, unfortunately.
The positive is it’s very mild, no meds prescribed and I will monitor her for now. In 4 months she will have a recheck with heart doctor and we will go from there.
Hoping it doesn’t worsen to CHF 🙏🏻 anytime in the future and we can continue with the rechecks for the rest of her life.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Oh Joanne.... I'm so sorry to read this update! Some things just don't seem fair! 😥
I will definitely join you in praying that it doesn't worsen and rechecks confirm this.... and for healing of other medical issues. 🙏
You are such a good mommy and stay on top of everything....You are amazing!
🐶 🐾🌻

Reactions: maddysmom

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
Little Kitzi sends his regrets! He understands about heart issues. We all know Lacie has not had an easy journey, but we still want it to be long, filled w/your great care. How did you notice? I noticed K's because he started grunting each time I picked him up. He went from 0 to a 3 in 2 months time.

Reactions: maddysmom

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh Joanne.... I'm so sorry to read this update! Some things just don't seem fair! 😥
I will definitely join you in praying that it doesn't worsen and rechecks confirm this.... and for healing of other medical issues. 🙏
You are such a good mommy and stay on top of everything....You are amazing!
🐶 🐾
Paulann...thanku love for your kind words ❤
Little Kitzi sends his regrets! He understands about heart issues. We all know Lacie has not had an easy journey, but we still want it to be long, filled w/your great care. How did you notice? I noticed K's because he started grunting each time I picked him up. He went from 0 to a 3 in 2 months time.
I had no idea about Lacies murmur. Her internist picked it up in January. We had 3 appointments canceled due to Covid but she went from not having one to a 3-4 murmur in 3 months time. I often wondered if her long dental appointment brought it on, idk.
Is Kman on meds? Does he have leaky valve?

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts
Oh Joanne I have been praying for you and your girls now it will be more specific
Your such a good momma
I think if little Lacie would have been with a different family she wouldn't be here today.

I LOVE your siggy😍

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
Joanne, K has regurgitation & an elarged heart w/some fluid---he went from no murmur to stage 3 in 2 months. His vet diagnosed it in a pre-dental & sent us that aft. to cardiologist who was excellent. The valve is failing. He is only on a low dose of Benazepril (5 mg) for now. I did notice that he was grunting when I picked him up each time---but did not pay much attention until his diagnosis. I was too busy trying to sort out Lisi. Now I watch them both like a hawk. I have a good vet who is monitoring him but need to take him back to the cardiologist soon---probably Oct. She is very expensive so my vet understands & keeps a watch out for us. Not much can be done really according to the cardiologist. One of the bands that works the valve broke---she said more would break probably---no one knows when---she said he could live a long time like this or have a massive mishap & it could be catastrophic. He is allowed to set the pace on walks, etc. He is such a good little guy!

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joanne, K has regurgitation & an elarged heart w/some fluid---he went from no murmur to stage 3 in 2 months. His vet diagnosed it in a pre-dental & sent us that aft. to cardiologist who was excellent. The valve is failing. He is only on a low dose of Benazepril (5 mg) for now. I did notice that he was grunting when I picked him up each time---but did not pay much attention until his diagnosis. I was too busy trying to sort out Lisi. Now I watch them both like a hawk. I have a good vet who is monitoring him but need to take him back to the cardiologist soon---probably Oct. She is very expensive so my vet understands & keeps a watch out for us. Not much can be done really according to the cardiologist. One of the bands that works the valve broke---she said more would break probably---no one knows when---she said he could live a long time like this or have a massive mishap & it could be catastrophic. He is allowed to set the pace on walks, etc. He is such a good little guy!
Gosh...that sounds so complicated than just a leaky valve. I’m sorry about that. I must have been MIA with my business when all that happened.
i just hope neither of of our fluffs suffer. I remember when Janine’s baby suffered from CHF and I thought I could never stand to watch that happen to any of my girls. Some of her videos she showed me scarred me for life.
As for treatment. My cardiologist said they don’t like to treat until absolutely necessary. He gave me an app to monitor her resting respiratory rate but I have been so busy, I haven’t had a chance to actually sit and read all the material he gave me, let alone download the app. It’s called Cardalis. Anything over 30 breaths per minute suggest congestive heart failure and I am to bring her ASAP.
To be continued...

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
Joanne, the cardiologist gave us instructions to monitor breaths as well, but no info on that app---so I may have to look it up? I can't really tell if the Benazepril (low dose) he is on is helping.
This all came out of the blue in late Feb/early March when I had K in for his predental---the vet was shocked that he had developed a murmur # 3 since Dec. when she examined him he had NONE. She had us into the cardiologist that afternoon.
There is really not much that can be done.

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Joanne, the cardiologist gave us instructions to monitor breaths as well, but no info on that app---so I may have to look it up? I can't really tell if the Benazepril (low dose) he is on is helping.
This all came out of the blue in late Feb/early March when I had K in for his predental---the vet was shocked that he had developed a murmur # 3 since Dec. when she examined him he had NONE. She had us into the cardiologist that afternoon.
This is part of Lacie’s report. Second paragraph kind of sums up treatment with meds.
I think your right, not much that can be done, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Omgosh...I just wrote this long message and it disappeared when I posted lacies results!
read paragraph 2 about meds...

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Oh Joanne I have been praying for you and your girls now it will be more specific
Your such a good momma
I think if little Lacie would have been with a different family she wouldn't be here today.

I LOVE your siggy😍
Paula...I wrote this long message to you too and it didnt post, ugh!
i have to run out now but know I love you ❤

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sandi...if you have trouble with this app, let me know and I’ll do my best to walk you through it. It is actually quite simple to use.

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear Lacie is having a tough time. I hope her heart issue stays mild! I will be thinking of Lacie.
Thankyou. I’m sure between you, me and Sandi, we will have lots of info to compare from 3 different cardiologists. It can only help us.

·
Super Moderator
9,667 Posts
Joanne,

I am so sorry. Poor Lacie has been through so much.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry to hear the news on lacie, my thoughts and prayers to hope she feels better! Lacie is so lucky to have a mom like you! Dee

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Joanne,

I am so sorry. Poor Lacie has been through so much.
Thanks Walter. She has suffered so much. Hoping this isn’t what does her in 🤷🏻‍♀️considering I have finally got her stable with her other issues.
Sorry to hear the news on lacie, my thoughts and prayers to hope she feels better! Lacie is so lucky to have a mom like you! Dee
thank you so much Dee!

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Lets add another medical issue to her Ibd, chronic pancreatits, Sibo, PLE, demodectic mange, chronic skin allergies, Mvd, luxating patella grade 3-4, b12 and folate deficiency.
Shes been officially dx with a leaky heart valve, unfortunately.
The positive is it’s very mild, no meds prescribed and I will monitor her for now. In 4 months she will have a recheck with heart doctor and we will go from there.
Hoping it doesn’t worsen to CHF 🙏🏻 anytime in the future and we can continue with the rechecks for the rest of her life.
So sorry about Lacie. How old is she? From the pix she looks very young.

Lainie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts