Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a couple of days now, I've noticed that Sophie is lactating and on the upper nipples that she can't get to, there seems to be dog cheese curds on the nipple and the surrounding fur. When I comb the cheese chunks out, they seem to vaporize into milk powder. :tumbleweed:

I've never had a female dog before. How long should I expect this "leakage" to pass? Will spaying and removing her ovaries stop this?

Maybe I should start selling dog milk/cheese? :HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have no advice. I have never experienced this but all my female pets have been spayed before their first heat. I only had one male dog that we waited until he was 2 because he's a giant breed (Newfoundland) and the hormones help with growing. I'm surprised that can happen.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sophie's next heat cycle isn't until July.
I was surprised of this situation as well.
I have no advice. I have never experienced this but all my female pets have been spayed before their first heat. I only had one male dog that we waited until he was 2 because he's a giant breed (Newfoundland) and the hormones help with growing. I'm surprised that can happen.
I hope its nothing too.
I was planning on having Sophie spayed sometime this month but now I think I should wait until this occurrence passes.
My vet said false pregnancies can happen. There's nothing to do (other than meds).
I hope its nothing, but wold be concerned that this may be a medical problem and would recommend seeing your vet. Has she been spayed?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She hasn't had any vaginal discharge. She hasn't "been" with a male (just a friendly sniff here and there). No stud has mounted her since I've had her. Here last estrus was on December.
When I palpate her abdomen, she does not grimace nor show any signs of discomfort. It is slightly descended though.
Keep a close eye....she's at prime time to get a pyometra
She's been drinking normally (after walks and after meals). She has been more of a piggy lately...
Drinking a lot is a sign...and you have to act fast.
Thanks for all the possible scenarios. I'm monitoring her very closely everyday. I'll take her to the vet as soon as I can.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Its not all that unusual for girls who are intact to have false pregnancy. Some of them take it pretty far and even adopt babies (toys to care for). My girls often produce small amounts of milk following their heat cycles even when they have not been bred. As others have said, you should monitor her closely to make sure she doesn't have pyo, but producing a small amount of milk is not a huge concern in an intact female.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I would monitor her and if it gets more and doesn't disappaer in a few days I would contact a vet for sure.
You can cool it a bit in adding curd on her nipples and around them. Often it helps to lessen the swelling.

My girl started getting false pregnant at the age of seven years and it got more worse after each heat so I decided to let her get spayed before she would have developed anything serious.

But you can just wait and see how it will go with her next heat as it can be totally different.

Talk to your vet, he/she will explain you everything.

Btw, how old is your girl? Often these kind of problems can start during their hormonal changes around eight years, others can be fine like with humans.

All the best for your baby!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Sophie's next heat cycle isn't until July.

I was surprised of this situation as well.

I hope its nothing too.

I was planning on having Sophie spayed sometime this month but now I think I should wait until this occurrence passes.

My vet said false pregnancies can happen. There's nothing to do (other than meds).

Should you consider a spay you should do it in the middle of two cycles as her hormones are quite low during this period of time and won't stress her body too much.
Your vet will inform you about this.

We just went through it last summer that's why I know about it.

It wasn't an easy decision for me to let her spay because it's a surgery that requires anasthesia and that's always a risk!
Additionally it's not allowed in Germany to spay an healthy female without any medical need so that's why I started thinking of it after she got false pregnant.

Now it's done but unfortunately she has to deal with new problems now. Hormonal changes can be quite hard for a body and her metabolism is suffering now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is exactly what Sophie is going through. She only produced tiny amounts of milk. Recently, she brought all of her toys into her carrier and took a nap with them. This is her favorite resting spot:wub:

Its not all that unusual for girls who are intact to have false pregnancy. Some of them take it pretty far and even adopt babies (toys to care for). My girls often produce small amounts of milk following their heat cycles even when they have not been bred. As others have said, you should monitor her closely to make sure she doesn't have pyo, but producing a small amount of milk is not a huge concern in an intact female.
I just checked Sophie this morning. Her mammary glands have decreased in size and she stopped producing milk.
As of last week, she's 5 years old.
Her next heat cycle is the beginning of July. I'm planning on having her spayed far before then.

Thank you very much for the input.
Kinda freaked me out...got me thinking, where and how did she get a stud when she's locked inside the house all day long? :smpullhair:
I would monitor her and if it gets more and doesn't disappaer in a few days I would contact a vet for sure.
You can cool it a bit in adding curd on her nipples and around them. Often it helps to lessen the swelling.

My girl started getting false pregnant at the age of seven years and it got more worse after each heat so I decided to let her get spayed before she would have developed anything serious.

But you can just wait and see how it will go with her next heat as it can be totally different.

Talk to your vet, he/she will explain you everything.

Btw, how old is your girl? Often these kind of problems can start during their hormonal changes around eight years, others can be fine like with humans.

All the best for your baby!
Should you consider a spay you should do it in the middle of two cycles as her hormones are quite low during this period of time and won't stress her body too much.
Your vet will inform you about this.

We just went through it last summer that's why I know about it.

It wasn't an easy decision for me to let her spay because it's a surgery that requires anasthesia and that's always a risk!
Additionally it's not allowed in Germany to spay an healthy female without any medical need so that's why I started thinking of it after she got false pregnant.

Now it's done but unfortunately she has to deal with new problems now. Hormonal changes can be quite hard for a body and her metabolism is suffering now.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
This is exactly what Sophie is going through. She only produced tiny amounts of milk. Recently, she brought all of her toys into her carrier and took a nap with them. This is her favorite resting spot:wub:

I just checked Sophie this morning. Her mammary glands have decreased in size and she stopped producing milk.

As of last week, she's 5 years old.

Her next heat cycle is the beginning of July. I'm planning on having her spayed far before then.

Thank you very much for the input.

Kinda freaked me out...got me thinking, where and how did she get a stud when she's locked inside the house all day long? :smpullhair:

I don't know if Sophie did this also before but my girl has shown the same symptoms with her toys.

She collected them all in her basket and pretended they are all her babies. Often it was hard for her to leave them if I called her for a walk.

Now she's back to normal, only plays with them like before her false pregnancy.

·
Premium Member
19,981 Posts
I had a female bichon named Lacey who had false pregnancies...she would treat her toys as her babies and she would drip milk. ...just don't throw those toys like a toy....they are her babies!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sophie did this recently. But when I call her for walks/meals, she snaps out of it and darts towards me.
I don't know if Sophie did this also before but my girl has shown the same symptoms with her toys.

She collected them all in her basket and pretended they are all her babies. Often it was hard for her to leave them if I called her for a walk.

Now she's back to normal, only plays with them like before her false pregnancy.
Sophie treats her "toys" as pillows. For her they're meant to be slept on, not for chewing :HistericalSmiley:
I had a female bichon named Lacey who had false pregnancies...she would treat her toys as her babies and she would drip milk. ...just don't throw those toys like a toy....they are her babies!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts