Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lady's mom made me some beautiful, gorgeous, fantastic, bows. I have no problem putting the bows with beads on Rylee.

My question is how to put the bows with charms on her head????? I get the bow on perfectly Rylee stands up, shakes her head, and the bow comes flying off.

I need to know your secrets??????:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Deborah

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Are the bows on bands or barrettes? Bands usually stay in better than barrettes. If they are on barrettes, try making the topknot, then clipping the barrette just below the band. It can't fly off that way!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are bands and I think I twisted it 3 times. Do I need to somehow make the topknot bigger? If that helps how do you make it bigger?

·
Registered
219 Posts
We use the french clip barrette bows and have never had a problem with them staying in or staying straight. I put them in the way Marj just posted; make the topknot first, then put the barrette in just below the topknot band, gathering up only the hair in front of the elastic. If you haven't tried the barrettes, you might give it a shot. Miko will sometimes have his in for a couple days, and even sleeps with them in, and we've never had one come out in the three years he's been using the barrette style.

Miko has recently started wearing only bows made by Marj. They are absolutely the most beautifully made and wonderfully styled bows I've seen anywhere, and the variety is such a treat. He wore a Halloween bow to a party the other night and he's wearing a patriotic bow to an election returns get-together tonight. It's almost time to order him a couple of Christmas bows now. So much fun! We love Marj's bows.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
They are bands and I think I twisted it 3 times. Do I need to somehow make the topknot bigger? If that helps how do you make it bigger?
Does Rylee have very thin hair? I use 1/4" latex grooming bands on my bows which are pretty small. The bands on the bows are supposed to be for placement only, not doubled or tripled. Are you making the topknot first, then just popping the bow on top?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does Rylee have very thin hair? I use 1/4" latex grooming bands on my bows which are pretty small. The bands on the bows are supposed to be for placement only, not doubled or tripled. Are you making the topknot first, then just popping the bow on top?
I am not understanding use for placement.

Rylee loves her topknots. It usually takes at least an hour and a half to put it in place. This is my own doing it has to be perfect. I use two mesh papers folded in half Rylee's hair is in the middle. I then fold it over put a band on it then I put the bow on. Looks exactly like my signature picture. The bow bands then are put on the topknot. Rylee LOVES her topknots. I can leave the top knot alone for an entire week and it looks as good as the first day. On your smaller bows I first put it on the back of the topknot then twist it around to the front. I always make sure it is snug not too tight.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I am not understanding use for placement.

Rylee loves her topknots. It usually takes at least an hour and a half to put it in place. This is my own doing it has to be perfect. I use two mesh papers folded in half Rylee's hair is in the middle. I then fold it over put a band on it then I put the bow on. Looks exactly like my signature picture. The bow bands then are put on the topknot. Rylee LOVES her topknots. I can leave the top knot alone for an entire week and it looks as good as the first day. On your smaller bows I first put it on the back of the topknot then twist it around to the front. I always make sure it is snug not too tight.
Hmmmm....

I use 1/4" medium weight grooming bands (I get them from Show Off - they're the best IMO) on my bows. I have had newbies try to make the topknot with the bow so they twist it several times until they realize they have to make the topknot first, then just pop the bow on. I have never heard of anyone putting bands smaller than 1/4" on bows.

If I understand you, the 1/4" bands are too large for Rylee? Or is just the bows with the larger button centers you are having a problem with?

Are the boutique bows the ones you have problems with? I know many customers (including me) prefer barrettes on the boutique bows because they are larger, but there shouldn't be that much of a difference with the double loop bows.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I am having trouble with the boutique bows. They just fly off. On regular bows I have always twisted them once that way they stay put. Unfortunately my perfection comes out in a lot of things and for me the topknot must be in the middle and straight. Bows need to be centered and straight. I think I will have to buy some barrettes for the boutique bows. I assumed you used bands for everything and could not figure out how you got them to stay put.
This has been very helpful.
Thank you all so very much
Deborah

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Yes I am having trouble with the boutique bows. They just fly off. On regular bows I have always twisted them once that way they stay put. Unfortunately my perfection comes out in a lot of things and for me the topknot must be in the middle and straight. Bows need to be centered and straight. I think I will have to buy some barrettes for the boutique bows. I assumed you used bands for everything and could not figure out how you got them to stay put.
This has been very helpful.
Thank you all so very much
Deborah
I actually have three different barrette options on my website...a french clip, a flat snap barrette and an alligator clip.

If you want to send them back to me, I would be happy to attach barrettes for you.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Marj
That is so sweet of you to offer to fix the bows. You did an awesome job and no way would I return those bows.
I am sure I can fix the problem myself. I thought everyone used bands and was mad at myself because I could not get them to stay on her head. I am just happy to know that most people do not use bands on the boutique bows.
Thank you so much :Flowers 2:
Deborah

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Marj
That is so sweet of you to offer to fix the bows. You did an awesome job and no way would I return those bows.
I am sure I can fix the problem myself. I thought everyone used bands and was mad at myself because I could not get them to stay on her head. I am just happy to know that most people do not use bands on the boutique bows.
Thank you so much :Flowers 2:
Deborah
It's about 50/50 bands or barrettes on the boutique bows. I prefer barrettes, but a lot of people do fine with bands. I have never had them come off, but they shift a bit with bands. I'm like you. If a bow isn't straight it drives me nuts!

I would be a happy to add barrettes for you. I can just send you some barrettes if you think you can do it yourself. You might have trouble finding the small barrettes.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Marj I am going to send the bows back. That way I know they will be put on correctly.

Thank you so very much!
Deborah & Rylee

1 - 14 of 14 Posts