Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously thinking about getting lapband surgery because I am overweight and have diabetes and high blood pressure. I actually found out about it on this site. I had never heard of it before. Anyway, I just filled out a 36 page questionaire and am waiting to hear if I am a candidate. While I am waiting, has anyone out there had the surgery? What were your results? Is it hard to get used to not being aboe to eat you favorite foods? If you do eat the wrong thing, do you get really sick? I would really appreciate some first hand information. Thanks Leslie

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I haven't had it but the thing that concerns me about any drastic measure such as this is regaining weight. I've read in magazines where people who have had the surgery, lose weight but will then begin to over-eat and negate the benefits of the surgery. This is especially true when people are emotional eaters..... eating, not when hungry, but to satisfy an emotional need such as sadness, anxiety, tiredness, etc. I am an emotional eater... I've been trying to work on that but old habits are hard to break....

If I were in your situation I would see a professional master's or Ph.D level nutritionist first for a few counseling sessions. IMHO I think dieting is all in one's head.... if we get our heads thinking right about eating then we'll lose. Hmmm, if I could only take my own advice!!

But then after we lose, it seems like our bodies try to get us back up to our former weight and we have to be really strong not to let that happen......

Exercise is a key component, too....

Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Aug 17 2005, 08:41 AM
I haven't had it but the thing that concerns me about any drastic measure such as this is regaining weight. I've read in magazines where people who have had the surgery, lose weight but will then begin to over-eat and negate the benefits of the surgery. This is especially true when people are emotional eaters..... eating, not when hungry, but to satisfy an emotional need such as sadness, anxiety, tiredness, etc.  I am an emotional eater... I've been trying to work on that but old habits are hard to break....

If I were in your situation I would see a professional master's or Ph.D level nutritionist first for a few counseling sessions. IMHO I think dieting is all in one's head.... if we get our heads thinking right about eating then we'll lose. Hmmm, if I could only take my own advice!!

But then after we lose, it seems like our bodies try to get us back up to our former weight and we have to be really strong not to let that happen......

Exercise is a key component, too....

Good luck with whatever you decide! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91408
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your advice. There are a couple of things that I forgot to mention. I am 47 years old. I have been fat since I was a baby. My mom told me that everytime I cried, she put a bottle in my mouth. I have been on numerous supervised weight loss programs and have not lost any weight. I just keep putting it on. I have thyroid function tests. Cat scans to look for tumors. They can't find anything wrong. Here the worst part. I have had a muscle disease for 10 years, making it impossible for me to loose weight. Any time I try to exercise, my blood tests show more problems. Also, I am required to have a psych consult before they schedule the surgery.

For the emotional thing, I have been told I am the happiest person around. I am not depressed, I do volunteer work in addition to my part time job. I really am not unhappy about the way I look. I am more concerned about not living to see my grandkids. One thing about this surgery, it is adjustable and reversable if there is a problem.

I really do appreciate your concern, but I think I have covered all the bases. I am pretty much resigned to the surgery if I am accepted, but I sure would like to talk to someone who has had it. Thank you so much

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Msloke@Aug 17 2005, 09:31 AM
I don't have personal experience with it but a close friend of mine did it (she's a nurse).  And for her, I don't think she really had/has the mindset to do things right.  At first, it seemed like every time she ate, she would throw up but that got better.  Has to be careful about what she eats and drinks and the timing (as I recall she usually has whatever she is drinking with a meal first, then eats....not sure if that is just her or the norm).  And you have to eat the right things to get the proper nutrition you need since you can't consume as much as before. Anyway, to be honest with you, she still is very overweight and gained back some of the initial weight she lost.  It is a rather drastic change for most people and would be something to thoroughly research and check out first.  Even to the point of medications she takes, she has to get either a liquid form or pills that can be split so they don't get stuck (and I think she has a problem with bread and things like mashed potatoes getting stuck if she isn't careful).  I don't want to dissuade you from doing it, that's your choice, but please make sure you check out all the pros and cons involved as this is a long term change and it is a surgical procedure.

That said, the sister of another friend had it done and has lost the weight and kept it off for years and hasn't had any problems (at least none that I've heard about).

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91443
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! They sent me a big book with alot of information in it and everything you said is absolutely true. One thing about drinking, it says you can't drink with your meals, not sure why. Thanks again. I guess you have to really be motivated to want to loose weight in order for this to work. It is a major life change, but I am so afraid I am going to die young. My dad died at 58 and I am already 47. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, thanks for explaining your situation... there is definitely more to it than meets the eye. Maybe this surgery will be the answer for you. I sure hope so!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom@Aug 17 2005, 05:44 AM
I am seriously thinking about getting lapband surgery because I am overweight and have diabetes and high blood pressure.  I actually found out about it on this site.  I had never heard of it before.  Anyway, I just filled out a 36 page questionaire and am waiting to hear if I am a candidate.  While I am waiting, has anyone out there had the surgery?  What were your results? Is it hard to get used to not being aboe to eat you favorite foods?  If you do eat the wrong thing, do you get really sick?  I would really appreciate some first hand information.  Thanks Leslie

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91398
[/QUOTE]

I have never had it done but I have seen many patients get it done (I am a medical student). I think it can be very successful and the risks of being overweight are greater than the risks of the surgery (if your doctor determines that to be the case).

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know a couple people ( both women that are in their late 40's) that have had this done.. Both lady's surgery, have been in the last year and a 1/2.. They are both very happen and healthy.. One has put a little weight back on.. But her doctor said she was getting to thin and she was very small.
What ever you decide, keep us posted... I wish you luck!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I don't want to be the negative one here , but I feel that I must mention this.
My girlfriend thought about having this done two years ago. She is over weight and qualified to have Medicare pay for it. Her and her girlfriend decided to do it together. She was very motivated and did all her research. There is a very small percentage of this surgery going wrong. My girlfriend friend had the surgery two weeks be for my girlfriend was scheduled for hers. Her friend died in the operation room. She was one of those percentages were it goes wrong. My girl friend called me the next day and was totally lost that she lost her good friend. She also canceled her scheduled surgery.

A friend at work also had this procedure done and it worked out fine. He is still over weight but he lost a lot in a few months. I don't mean he I only 40 pounds over weight so his will take a long time to come off but he was at the point were he had no choice but to do this procedure.

My girlfriend has taken up jogging, something I can't even does myself right now and she has lost a fair amount of weight. She is a lot healthier and happier. She even did the run for cancer and tried drag me out to run as well. I'm very proud of her as she has been though a lot this past year. The best part is I did not loose a good friend.

I'm sure you have done all your research and spoken with doctors. When it comes down to it you have to do what is best for you.

Right now I myself have to loose weigh because of health issues, my huband is draging me to the gym tonight and I am not tho thrilled about going and seeing skinny women there. I know it all about getting fit but it hard when you know you have a long way to go and skinny people are staring back at you. Ok they are most likly not staring back at you but it sure does feel that way. To me anywy.

I wish you all the best for the future . Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Chelsey@Aug 17 2005, 04:19 PM
My girlfriend thought about having this done two years ago.  She is over weight and qualified to have Medicare pay for it.  Her and her girlfriend decided to do it together.  She was very motivated and did all her research.  There is a very small percentage of this surgery going wrong.  My girlfriend friend had the surgery two weeks be for my girlfriend was scheduled for hers.  Her friend died in the operation room.  She was one of those percentages were it goes wrong.  My girl friend called me the next day and was totally lost that she lost her good friend.  She also canceled her scheduled surgery.

A friend at work also had this procedure done and it worked out fine.  He is still over weight but he lost a lot in a few months.  I don't mean he I only 40 pounds over weight so his will take a long time to come off but he was at the point were he had no choice but to do this procedure.

My girlfriend has taken up jogging, something I can't even does myself right now and she has lost a fair amount of weight.  She is a lot healthier and happier. She even did the run for cancer and tried drag me out to run as well.  I'm very proud of her as she has been though a lot this past year.  The best part is I did not loose a good friend.

I'm sure you have done all your research and spoken with doctors.  When it comes down to it you have to do what is best for you.

Right now I myself have to loose weigh because of health issues, my huband is draging me to the gym tonight and I am not tho thrilled about going and seeing skinny women there.  I know it all about getting fit but it hard when you know you have a long way to go and skinny people are staring back at you.  Ok they are most likly not staring back at you but it sure does feel that way.  To me anywy.

I wish you all the best for the future .  Please keep us posted.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91580
[/QUOTE]

I am so sorry your friend lost someone close to her. Did she have lap band or gastric bypass? There is a big difference in the risk, other than dying from the anesthetic. The lap band is done with just a tiny incision like the new gallbladder surgery.

In my case, I feel that if I don't do something drastic I am going to die too young. And if you read my other posts, you will see that I have a muscle disease that keeps me from exercising. Anyway, I don't know if I will even be approved by the doctors or the insurance company. Thanks for everyone's kindness and concern. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom+Aug 17 2005, 05:32 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Chelsey
@Aug 17 2005, 04:19 PM
My girlfriend thought about having this done two years ago.  She is over weight and qualified to have Medicare pay for it.  Her and her girlfriend decided to do it together.  She was very motivated and did all her research.  There is a very small percentage of this surgery going wrong.  My girlfriend friend had the surgery two weeks be for my girlfriend was scheduled for hers.  Her friend died in the operation room.  She was one of those percentages were it goes wrong.  My girl friend called me the next day and was totally lost that she lost her good friend.  She also canceled her scheduled surgery.

A friend at work also had this procedure done and it worked out fine.  He is still over weight but he lost a lot in a few months.  I don't mean he I only 40 pounds over weight so his will take a long time to come off but he was at the point were he had no choice but to do this procedure.

My girlfriend has taken up jogging, something I can't even does myself right now and she has lost a fair amount of weight.  She is a lot healthier and happier. She even did the run for cancer and tried drag me out to run as well.  I'm very proud of her as she has been though a lot this past year.  The best part is I did not loose a good friend.

I'm sure you have done all your research and spoken with doctors.  When it comes down to it you have to do what is best for you.

Right now I myself have to loose weigh because of health issues, my huband is draging me to the gym tonight and I am not tho thrilled about going and seeing skinny women there.  I know it all about getting fit but it hard when you know you have a long way to go and skinny people are staring back at you.  Ok they are most likly not staring back at you but it sure does feel that way.  To me anywy.

I wish you all the best for the future .  Please keep us posted.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91580
I am so sorry your friend lost someone close to her. Did she have lap band or gastric bypass? There is a big difference in the risk, other than dying from the anesthetic. The lap band is done with just a tiny incision like the new gallbladder surgery.

In my case, I feel that if I don't do something drastic I am going to die too young. And if you read my other posts, you will see that I have a muscle disease that keeps me from exercising. Anyway, I don't know if I will even be approved by the doctors or the insurance company. Thanks for everyone's kindness and concern. I will keep you posted.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91581
[/B][/QUOTE]

My girlfriend friend had the lap band surgury it the new impoved one with less scar tissue. I know she was also schduled to have the liposcution as well after that surgery. If it is life threathing I'm sure they will approve you with proper Dr. papers. I am in Canada so I don't know how it works in the U.S
I don't mean to discurage you in anyway. I just wanted you to be aware.
I also have issue were it is very hard to excercie. I have knee issues and Heal spars and being over weigh well takes up all your engery. I will only be going on the tredmill to night. I really can do anymore then that. Even after a short walk the next day I have to use the foot spa. I get so much pain. I wish you all the best and plese let us know what you deside to do.

In additon for the peson at work I belive he had the same procedure as well and it has been working for him.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I am a nurse in a Cardiac Rehab program and I have worked with a number of patients who have had lap band surgery. I have seen patients who have done incredibly well and lost over a 0 lbs. They have been people who were totally committed to getting well and being healthy. It is a total lifestyle change and not a quick fix, as I am sure you know. One girl I worked with lost 147 lbs and has kept every lb off for well over 5 years. She looks and feels great.

I have also know one patient to die from complations related to surgery and other patients who did not follow instructions to have miserable and devastating results. The surgery is not the end all be all. It is what you do with it that is as important as what you have done. Make sure you do your homework and have your surgery done by a surgeion who is board certified, ask how many procedures of this type he has done, what are his outcomes.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by debinmo64@Aug 17 2005, 11:18 PM
I was thinking about the same surgery until I chickened out.  The advice I was given said to attend a bariaritrics support group meeting and talk to people who have had it done. The web also has a great many websites about this. best of luck in whatever you decide to do!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91678
[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, one of the things I have to do is attend a seminar with other people who have had the surgery and are considering the surgery. You can be sure I will ask alot of questions.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom+Aug 18 2005, 04:29 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-debinmo64
@Aug 17 2005, 11:18 PM
I was thinking about the same surgery until I chickened out.  The advice I was given said to attend a bariaritrics support group meeting and talk to people who have had it done. The web also has a great many websites about this. best of luck in whatever you decide to do!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91678
From what I understand, one of the things I have to do is attend a seminar with other people who have had the surgery and are considering the surgery. You can be sure I will ask alot of questions.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91692
[/B][/QUOTE]

I forgot to say in my previous post - that I wish you best of luck. I know its a tough decision and there are lots of pros and cons. I hope everthing will work out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm so glad to know that you have been very thoughtful about getting this procedure done. I don't know anything about it, so I can only offer you support and pray for your health - physical, emotional, and spiritual.

I truly hope that everything will go as you want, with great success. I'm sure your decision was not easy to make.

May I ask what type of muscle disease you have and what happens when you exercise? I'm only asking, because I'm curious about our bodies. I know of people where simple movement causes excrutiating pain.

Sending hugs and support your way.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by mmforever@Aug 18 2005, 04:46 PM
I'm so glad to know that you have been very thoughtful about getting this procedure done.  I don't know anything about it, so I can only offer you support and pray for your health - physical, emotional, and spiritual.

I truly hope that everything will go as you want, with great success.  I'm sure your decision was not easy to make.

May I ask what type of muscle disease you have and what happens when you exercise?  I'm only asking, because I'm curious about our bodies.  I know of people where simple movement causes excrutiating pain.

Sending hugs and support your way.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=92001
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for you concern. I have a disease called dermatomyositis. It is an autoimmune disease in the lupus family. There is no cure and sometimes treatment works and sometimes it doesn't. My first treatment worked for about 2 years then I had a relapse. My current treatment has been great although I will never be 100% again. I am on imuran, which some people take after transplants.

It can affect any muscles, including your heart. It makes you very weak depending on which muscles it affects. I am lucky as mine seems to be affecting only my back, the tops of my arms and shoulders and my thigh muscles. I can walk forever, but I can only climb a few steps at the time. I can carry things at my side that are fairly heavy, but I can't lift items to put away. Like in a kitchen cupboard. When I was really bad, I couldn't even lift my arms to comb my hair. I couldn't get out of bed by myself. I had to get up while someone was home or I would have to stay there all day.

They measure the progress of the disease by a blood test called CPK. It measure the enzymes leaking out of your muscles which is what causes the weakness. When I exercise (stress the muscles), my cpk goes up and my medication has to be increased to combat that. Like when I have blood work after the holidays, my cpk is always up because of decorating, shopping, baking, things like that.

I hope you don't think I feel sorry for myself, cause I don't. There are people far worse off than me. I work, I volunteer, I just don't get into situations where I would need help, like getting off the floor.

I think that if I have this surgery and loose weight, It would have to be easier for me to get around because my weak muscles would have less weight to carry.

Sorry for being so wordy, but it is a very complicated disease.

Leslie

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just sent you a PM but wanted to add on here that I have been gone of the forum for a bit of time, as I was the one that origionally posted about this procedure. I have researched it and other WLS for over two years and can say I am on "the bandwagon" as of August 3rd. I had the surgery and as others have said it is not a miracle, it is a tool to help you achieve a healthy lifestyle, but you have to be willing to work at it.. I just got off 3 weeks of liquid diet, ugh....but I am down 24lbs in those three weeks since surgery and finally feel as though I have hope to live a healthier lifestyle. It is a surgery so there are always risks involved and you have to do what is right for you. After much prayer and research and discussions with my physicians it was decided this was the best option for me, and I have no regrets but know that I will have to be vigilant at "working" with the band for the rest of my life and that is okay by me.....

For the first time in my life I am happy to say I am a "loser"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts