Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Lol
I was not thinking about people when I read your post, I was still thinking dogs. Of course, now I know what you mean. But sorry, I have no experience with that or know anybody who has.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Jun 13 2005, 06:59 PM
Lol 
I was not thinking about people when I read your post, I was still thinking dogs. Of course, now I know what you mean. But sorry, I have no experience with that or know anybody who has.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72290
[/QUOTE]
Gee, it's a good thing I read through all the posts. I, too, was thinking dog, and I was going to respond to "belly band" as in what is used for a male dog.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too Funny, I know we talk about some off the wall topics but you are right it is not one you would think of being human related at first glance. Just seeking informationa and thought I would open it up on here to see if anyone had anything about it.....Thanks for the laugh. Wonder if a "belly band would work
)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by 2happymalts@Jun 14 2005, 04:26 PM
Too Funny, I know we talk about some off the wall topics but you are right it is not one you would think of being human related at first glance. Just seeking informationa and thought I would open it up on here to see if anyone had anything about it.....Thanks for the laugh. Wonder if a "belly band would work
)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72569
[/QUOTE]
Hi.
I don't know much about lap-bands, buy I do know about gastric bypass surgery. Two years ago this week, my boyfriend had it done. He's happy and healthy and lost almost 200 pounds. A whole person. To me, it's still a learning process for us. He's had strictures which means the opening to his pouch was narrowing and food nor drink was able to stay down. So, after an endoscopy, he'd be fine. At this time he still has problems with certain foods, but his blood tests are all ok, so he's fine. It's very important to eat lots of protein, for both procedures. Supplements, like calcium and iron will be a forever thing. Exercise is a must.

Support groups would be helpful to you. The hospital where your surgeon is should have monthly meetings. The meetings for gastric bypass and lap-bands are separate though. My boyfriend's surgeon is brilliant. She's the best in NYC, probably in the country. I'd be happy to give you any additional info. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes---don't do it. Please try everything else unless the situation is life or death (as in morbid obesity, not just ordinary obesity). Many are successful, but I have seen so many others that turn into really critical situations, often times many years after a seemingly successful surgery.
Weight Watchers is one diet that is a healthy all around nutritional approach to weight loss, and there are some appetite controlling drugs out there, while they do have side effects, they are worth a good try and less drastic than surgery. Please try everything before considering surgery, cause really, the surgery requires a much greater lifestyle change than a diet does. Many people really don't understand that.
If they can't really stick to a diet prior to surgery, the chances of success after are much less. (you can restretch the stomach, risking leaks etc)
Quincymom

I reread the original post--I am speaking to Gastric Bypass Surgery above.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I don't know anyone who has had it done, but my best friend asked our physician about it and she says that most of her patients have had problems with it after the first year....so she is not recommending that option at all. There are some forums that relate to the lap band. I found some for my friend and she did lots of reading.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I clicked on this rather excitedly as the post's headline made ME think of some kind of band you could set up on your lap to keep dogs from falling off. I was envisioning some kind of cosy set-up that would allow both my dogs to curl up on me without one falling off when he/she rolls over.

How disappointed I am.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Quincymom@Jun 19 2005, 04:59 PM
Yes---don't do it. Please try everything else unless the situation is life or death (as in morbid obesity, not just ordinary obesity). Many are successful, but I have seen so many others that turn into really critical situations, often times many years after a seemingly successful surgery.
Weight Watchers is one diet that is a healthy all around nutritional approach to weight loss, and there are some appetite controlling drugs out there, while they do have side effects, they are worth a good try and less drastic than surgery. Please try everything before considering surgery, cause really, the surgery requires a much greater lifestyle change than a diet does. Many people really don't understand that.
If they can't really stick to a diet prior to surgery, the chances of success after are much less. (you can restretch the stomach, risking leaks etc)
Quincymom

I reread the original post--I am speaking to Gastric Bypass Surgery above.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73867
[/QUOTE]

I agree with this one hundred percent, all surgery has an element of risk, and if your weight isn't life threatening don't do it.
I am over weight, have tried many diets and have to say the one that does work very well it the Weight Watchers' Plan, it is healthy and you can eat well and lose.
I have seen the good and the bad of the weight loss surgeries and there are a lot of people who have actually died from these gastric bands and bypasses. There are some good results but the risk is very high, too high for me to even consider it. I am not that over weight that if I got off my behind and did something positive about it I could lose, but it is hard and my biggest problem is medications for a back injury which I am sure are adding to my problem at the moment, but once I can get back to regular exercise I will be back on track. I am thinking positive, that is the only way, you need a goal and a mind set, and a lot of will power, something I don't have a lot of, but I will get there.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, much to my suprise, I logged on today and there was some new posts on this subject. Thank you all for your posts. I have several freinds that have had by-pass and I don't think I could do that. However, my physicians are highly reccommending the band for me, so I will keep praying about it and see how things go. But thank you all so much for the feedback it is all helpful in the decision process...ughh.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by 2happymalts@Jun 20 2005, 01:09 PM
Wow, much to my suprise, I logged on today and there was some new posts on this subject. Thank you all for your posts. I have several freinds that have had by-pass and I don't think I could do that. However, my physicians are highly reccommending the band for me, so I will keep praying about it and see how things go. But thank you all so much for the feedback it is all helpful in the decision process...ughh.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74061
[/QUOTE]
Please keep praying on it, and we all know weight loss is hard. You have my support and prayers for success on a weight loss plan. Believe me, I know it is sometimes hour to hour, not just day to day strength you need!
I don't want to be controversial, and I am sure your MD has only your best interests in mind, but right now, weight loss surgery is "hot", it is reimbursed well from insurance companies, and is quite an income producer. I have noticied such an increase in ads from medical clinics holding "informational meetings", (right next to all the cosmetic surgery ads), that should send up a red flag that someone has an interest in these surgeries besides its benefit to mankind! Yes, I am cynical, but I have seen the human cost when things don't go as planned.
Again, I don't want to be controversial, and I am not trying to put any profession or procedure down, just think long and hard before you do something so life altering.
Quincymom

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quincymom,
Thank you so much for your prayers and support. It is and has been a difficult desicion to make. I have been debating the WLSurgeries available for 2 years now. I know without a doubt that bypass is not in the cards for me (many reasons, but most of all not going to change the way god wired me). The only one I am even willing to consider is the BAND because of the relative safety of it. Notice I did say relative. I have been in the medical field 25+ years so I have seen my share of things that were "safe" that went wrong. That is why I am still praying on it and seeking guidance as to what is really in my best interest. So again thanks for your support.
Vonda

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Ke Ke. I will check it out. I can't believe how much your boyfriend has lost wow
. I have a good friend that had it done and has lost a great deal also. It is a life saver for some.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts