Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so upset to find a large lump on Effie's shoulder. :unsure: The vet split up her shots and so she was given a 3 year rabies first, on a Thursday. She was fine after.

The following Tuesday, she went in for Bordetella and Lepto. I was told that she was given one shot in the shoulder and one in the rump.

She was sleepy after but back to her self the next day. On Thursday, I noticed a pretty good size lump where she was given the shot on her shoulder.

It's gone way down, thank goodness. I'm wondering if this is normal or could this mean that she had a reaction to the shot? She has to go back in for another Lepto in three weeks, so now I'm nervous.:faint:

Are lumps common after shots?

TIA

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Why would you need a another one? I don't understand. Isn't the booster at a year just one shot? I am avoiding any more shots for my dogs. Lola got titered and was proven to be covered at a year so the vet says she doesn't need any. She did get a big bump when she was a puppy from the shots. It was there for months.

·
Premium Member
17,353 Posts
A lump can be normal---just takes time to absorb---not really an issue.
What is an issue to me is why is she going back for another Lepto---Lepto is only one jab per year. Did you mean she will get some other innoculation?
Also, I would space the rabies & the other shots further apart if I were you.
My vet wanted to give them together & I insisted on coming back. If there is a reaction in a combo then there is no way to tell what they are allergic to if they are given together or even in close proximity.
With a big dog I would not worry about this so much, but w/a 5 pounder it can be a huge issue. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Though it's not at all uncommon , ...Over the years non of my pooches got lumps after shots but for my Missy. It happened one time and it turned out to be what was called a sterile abcess. It was obvious it was more then just a 'lump' from slow absorbtion or mild reaction. She had a compromised immune system and maybe why she got this, I really don't know. I do know THIS type thing is NOT common.

I do question why another lepto shot upcoming?

We have 3 year rabies requirement here and our vet even extends the other vaccines to abt 3 years.... though if titers show protection then they are extended further.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I believe the lump appearing after shots is not uncommon - you should just keep an eye on it and call your vet if it seems to get worse.

Regarding the Lepto vaccine - from what I understand, the FIRST time a puppy gets the Lepto shot, it has to be boosted after a few weeks. After that it's good for a year. At least that is what my vet did for Bailey.

Regarding vaccines in general - Bailey did the whole puppy series and then he had his one year boosters. I live in an area where Lyme and Lepto are prevalent so I did get those vaccines but I don't plan on doing them again. He had a reaction to the Bordatella last time so he doesn't get that one anymore at all.

Did you say the lump is where the rabies shot was given? If so, I think having a lump develop there is a pretty common reaction and I wouldn't worry too much!!! It should go away soon!

By the way, your Effie is ADORABLE - give her a huge hug from me!!

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Hunter gets the lump so he now starts antibiotics 2 days prior to his shots and the morning of his shot gets an anti-inflamatory. His lumps were combines wih him being lethargic for a day or two though.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
A lot of our little ones find a lump after vaccines are given. London even had one show up almost 2 weeks later. Just keep a close eye on it and make sure it decreases in size, which I'm sure it will. It might take a week or two for it to disappear.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Tia -- this happened to Secret this year with her Rabies. Like with Effie, Secret's lump didn't show up until a few days AFTER the Rabies shot. It was about the size of a quarter (which, imho, is huge for a 3.8 lb fluff). It also got a little bigger before it got smaller. It took almost 4 weeks to finally go away. I did call my vet's office and they marked Secret's chart that she had a slight reaction to the vaccination.

It really didn't seem to bother Secret nearly as much as it did me. She also had the Rabies vaccination in her shoulder.

·
Premium Member
17,353 Posts
I assumed this was the l yr. shot? Is it not?

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
The first time a dog of any age received a lepto vaccine they must be boostered 2-3 weeks later and then every year.
Effie is over a year so that is why we were questioning multiple shots for lepto. I see you say any age, I would be surprised if these were first shots though as the dog was brought in from overseas I don't think they could get in without first shots.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Was the lump on the shoulder that received the rabies vaccine? If so, find out what brand vaccine they used. Fort Dodge was known to cause lumps and actual bald patches at the injection site for their rabies vaccine. Fort Dodge has been acquired by another company and can't remember which one right now. But I think your vet should know if it was formerly the Fort Dodge brand.

Also, I would be sure to spread the vaccines out further apart...by a minimum of 3 weeks. Did you pre-med with Children's Benadryl? I have no idea if that will help this from happening again but I always pre-med mine and so far none of them have developed a lump after the rabies shot. Zoe did at 1 yr...and a bald spot. But we switched brands and have pre-medicated with Children's Benadryl and haven't had a lump develop since.

Keep an eye on the lump and make sure it doesn't develop a thickening of the skin...which could cause a bald patch. I would also keep checking the site for any lumps that may develop later after this lump goes away. I'm really hoping more research is done before Callie is due for her 3 yr. booster that will lengthen the time between rabies boosters even further apart then 3 yrs.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Lepto is not required for entry into the US. Unless it was routinely done in the country your dog came from (and your dog was old enough to have had a series of 2), then your adult dog still needs an initial series of 2 lepto vaccines given 2-3 weeks apart. Lepto is an optional vaccine in most places in the world. It should be given to animals who are at high risk of catching it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts