Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you all for your help!

Effie was fine after the rabies so I'm thinking it was the Lepto that gave her the lump. It's gone way down.

I just checked out my files on both Effie and Libby and this is the first Lepto for Effie. It wasn't on her Korean records or ours, so she got into this country without it.:w00t: We did take her to the vet, right after she came. She had great records so our vet boosted what she needed and we wormed her to be on the safe side.

Libby has never had a Lepto. She goes in this week for her exam and shots.

Two years ago, when we got Lib, Lepto wasn't even on the schedule chart. Is Lepto something new or is it a optional thing? I noticed that Lyme is also a newer one for me too? That was never on our schedule. Gosh these poors dogs don't get a break!

For some reason I thought that one vac went up the nose but now it's given in shot form? I can't keep up!:smilie_tischkante:

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
5,433 Posts

Effie was fine after the rabies so I'm thinking it was the Lepto that gave her the lump. It's gone way down.

I just checked out my files on both Effie and Libby and this is the first Lepto for Effie. It wasn't on her Korean records or ours, so she got into this country without it.:w00t: We did take her to the vet, right after she came. She had great records so our vet boosted what she needed and we wormed her to be on the safe side.

Two years ago, when we got Lib, Lepto wasn't even on the schedule chart. Is Lepto something new or is it a optional thing? I noticed that Lyme is also a newer one for me too? That was never on our schedule. Gosh these poors dogs don't get a break!

For some reason I thought that one vac went up the nose but now it's given in shot form? I can't keep up!:smilie_tischkante:

Ahh that makes more sense ;) No Lepto isn't a core vaccine. I don't know the likelyhood in your area of this, but apparently these none core vaccines are more likely to give an adverse reaction. See this article/video. Dr Schultz says to not repeat a none core vaccine if there is a reaction. But that is between you and your vet.
Facts About the Rabies Vaccine

·
Premium Member
17,353 Posts
Lepto is prevalent in areas where fox & rodents hang out---even if they run through water & the pup drinks it he/she can contract lepto. I always have to give it here in Greece due to the 4 legged rats! :HistericalSmiley:
There are 2 lepto varieties & the newer one (I believe it is something like lepto4---has less side effects---hardly any apparently, but we don't get that one here so I have to go w/the old one. Lepto is on the rise in the US from what I have read. Some dogs have even died from an outbreak.
Pneumodog (kennel cough) is given now in a l yr. shot, but it isn't for sure that that shot lasts a full yr. Some people choose not to give it because they are not as exposed and it is easily treatable if it is contacted.
Only rabies and micro chip & health certificate (in EU it is a health passport) is necessary to travel to the US internationally w/dog. Presently tapeworm meds& tick meds. validated by a vet--are necessary for the UK but that will change somewhat in Jan. 2011---along w/the rabies regulations. There may be some regulations coming from other countries that I am not aware of so check before bringing a dog into the US.
Lyme inoculation is not required---but if you live in an area (check lyme map) where it is prevalent then it is offered. I would probably go w/it IF I lived in the Northeast!

·
Registered
11,074 Posts

If both the Lepto and Rabies vaccine were given in the same shoulder, and only a few days apart, it really could...and most likely is from the rabies. That's another reason why it's so important to separate all vaccines by a minimum of 3 weeks. Especially in the really tiny ones. Only give Lepto if it is prevalent in your area. And make sure it's the new 4-way, pre-med with Children's Benadryl, and make the appt early in the morning and then hang around at the vets office for an hour in case of any reaction.

I really urge you to look at Dr. Jean Dodd's vaccination protocol because of how tiny your two are.

DODDS-RESUME

·
Premium Member
17,353 Posts
Lepto is prevalent in areas where fox & rodents hang out---even if they run through water & the pup drinks it he/she can contract lepto. I always have to give it here in Greece due to the 4 legged rats! :HistericalSmiley:
There are 2 lepto varieties & the newer one (I believe it is something like lepto4---has less side effects---hardly any apparently, but we don't get that one here so I have to go w/the old one. Lepto is on the rise in the US from what I have read. Some dogs have even died from an outbreak.
Pneumodog (kennel cough) is given now in a l yr. shot, but it isn't for sure that that shot lasts a full yr. Some people choose not to give it because they are not as exposed and it is easily treatable if it is contacted.
Only rabies and micro chip & health certificate (in EU it is a health passport) is necessary to travel to the US internationally w/dog. Presently tapeworm meds& tick meds. validated by a vet--are necessary for the UK but that will change somewhat in Jan. 2011---along w/the rabies regulations. There may be some regulations coming from other countries that I am not aware of so check before bringing a dog into the US.
Lyme inoculation is not required---but if you live in an area (check lyme map) where it is prevalent then it is offered. I would probably go w/it IF I lived in the Northeast!
Correction: I meant Jan. 2012!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Lepto is an optional vaccine. Whether or not you give it should depend on how high the incidence is in your area and how it is being passed. For example, in our area it use to be just hunting dogs who were at risk. Now dear and raccoon are carrying it into neighborhoods, so we recommend it more frequently.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you for all the help and link too!

Libby goes in on Friday, so we'll find out what shots were given to Effie in the shoulder.

We have tons of skunks here in Upstate NY. Every night, they end up in our yard eating bugs.:w00t:

I'm going to talk to the vet about spacing Libby's shots out further too.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again:aktion033:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question about lumps appearing after yearly vaccinations. My maltipoo has had this happen 2 years in a row. It takes months for it to go away. It doesn't appear immediately. It takes a couple of days. It is pretty big and then slowly decreases in size. Last year it took probably about 4 months for it to go away. I took him to the vet about it last year and she said she didn't think it was from his shots. She thought it was a fatty tumor. Well, it eventually went away so I think it was the shots. And now after his shots this year, it happened again. Is this normal? I haven't taken him back to the vet yet because I think she will say the same thing. It has decreased in size but is still there almost 3 months later.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Please look at Dr. Dodd's vaccine protocol. Dr. Jean Dodds – Dog Vaccine Protocol « Animal Health Foundation Blog And never ever give more than one shot at a time. And if your vet isn't up to date on the most current vaccination protocols, find a new vet - they exist.

Yearly shots are not needed and are no longer recommended by the AVMA and AAHA. If your fluff has already had distemper, parvo and rabies vaccine, the recommendation by experts in toy breed dogs is to titer for distemper and parvo every three years. Rabies should be given no more often than every three years IF required by law. Most states also recognize that once a rabies vaccine has been given, even if the dog is "past due" for a vaccine, if the dog delivers a bite or is exposed to rabies, the previous vaccine conveys immunity and administering of an additional booster is all that is needed, not quarantine or worse.

My girls are 12 and 13 now. They have had positive titers for distemper and parvo for six years. Mine also have a waiver for rabies because they both have underlying health conditions; one of my girls' was overvaccinated and my vet firmly believes that triggered auto-immune disease.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts