Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Lavender is not toxic but if your baby is outside a lot I would be careful about planting a lot of them because they do attract a lot of bees and the thought of your baby being stung would be of concern more than the actual plant being a problem. My mom had only one lavender bush and the bees would swarm in there when that bush was flowering.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Sep 17 2005, 07:48 AM
Lavender is not toxic but if your baby is outside a lot I would be careful about planting a lot of them because they do attract a lot of bees and the thought of your baby being stung would be of concern more than the actual plant being a problem. My mom had only one lavender bush and the bees would swarm in there when that bush was flowering. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100501
[/QUOTE]

I was just getting ready to say the same thing!!

A couple summers ago, I had a lot of lavender in my patio area and it was always totally covered with bees. In fact, I used to have all sorts of plants but they all attracted bees. And it seems to get worse each year. For a couple years now I have had Sedum(sp) Autumn Joy and it bloomed so beautifully starting in August. But this year it was covered in bees, wasps and all sorts of stinging things... all day and evening. I finally totally trimmed all the plants to the ground. It just wasn't worth the risk. And it was hard to even find a time to cut it when it wasn't full of stinging insects.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I love lavendar. I have two set of them in our garden English lavender blooms nicley. and provice, and you can trim it the way you want ... I find I have more problems with bees on my sedum then anything else. If your planting lavendar plant it away from the doors of your home . That way the bees wont bother you or your puppies. I have not had any problems with them... but I guess that because they are facing the back off our home away from the door. The sedum is an other story. The bees also love our roses and use the leave to make there hives. One year we had a cutting bee hive in our yard but they don't stin you... My husband has to by this thing to kill them at night and dispose of the bees. The wasp are the bad ones I think this year some one had a wasp nest. We had so many at the beging of the summer but again they were near sedum the was not even bloomed yet. stange. Anyway the puppies have not had any issue with the lavender .

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Speaking of wasps, we weren't but I will :D ...... This summer I went hog wild with hummingbird feeders and although I had dozens of hummingbirds and they were wonderful to watch, by August the wasps were totally out of control (they feed at the feeder too-which I did not know). In mid August I was on the front porch and was actually "dive bombed" by 4 or 5 wasps and stung quite badly about the face and head. I took the feeders down and we sprayed the nests we could find and now the wasps are gone. Sadly so are the hummingbirds.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Omg how horrible, I hope you are ok.

Being from Australia and never having seen a hummingbird before, I went out the back door one day and the most beautiful experience I have had in a long time was a hummingbird came so close to me and just hovered there and I could hear the hum from her wings, I was so thrilled, I didn't know just how tiny they are and at first I thought it was a big insect till I saw her vibrant colors.
Hubby bought some feeders and we are yet to put them out and now I am wondering if in fact we will because I do not like wasps.
Thanks for the warning

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
They are incredible to watch!!!! If you can find a feeder that sticks to a window those are GREAT because then you can watch them from inside the house UP CLOSE!!! My mistake was putting up SIX feeders
and not watching for the wasp nests ahead of time.> I survived (lloked like a BAD collagen job for awhile
). But hummingbirds are really amazing birds.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Sep 24 2005, 09:22 AM
They are incredible to watch!!!!  If you can find a feeder that sticks to a window those are GREAT because then you can watch them from inside the house UP CLOSE!!!  My mistake was putting up SIX feeders
  and not watching for the wasp nests ahead of time.>  I survived (lloked like a BAD collagen job for awhile
).  But hummingbirds are really amazing birds.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102830
[/QUOTE]

Oh wow that would be good too because then I could set up the camera and get some amazing shots from inside by using the remote, that wouldn't frighten the birds away. Thanks for the tip....

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
Speaking of wasps, we weren't but I will :D ...... This summer I went hog wild with hummingbird feeders and although I had dozens of hummingbirds and they were wonderful to watch, by August the wasps were totally out of control (they feed at the feeder too-which I did not know). In mid August I was on the front porch and was actually "dive bombed" by 4 or 5 wasps and stung quite badly about the face and head. I took the feeders down and we sprayed the nests we could find and now the wasps are gone. Sadly so are the hummingbirds.
That is so sad. I love bees, they never bother me, but those dreadful wasps:eek: hate them. We had an oriole feeder and a hummingbird feeder and the wasps only went to the oriole feeder. So, maybe a different style of hummingbird feeder would avoid the wasps. Just sayin....cause no one she be deprived of hummers.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts