I'm thinking about putting a mass planting of lavender in the garden but first I need to know if it is toxic or capable of causing any problems for Harley. Does anyone know?
[/QUOTE]Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Sep 17 2005, 07:48 AM
Lavender is not toxic but if your baby is outside a lot I would be careful about planting a lot of them because they do attract a lot of bees and the thought of your baby being stung would be of concern more than the actual plant being a problem. My mom had only one lavender bush and the bees would swarm in there when that bush was flowering.
[/QUOTE]Originally posted by puppymom@Sep 24 2005, 09:22 AM
They are incredible to watch!!!! If you can find a feeder that sticks to a window those are GREAT because then you can watch them from inside the house UP CLOSE!!! My mistake was putting up SIX feedersand not watching for the wasp nests ahead of time.> I survived (lloked like a BAD collagen job for awhile). But hummingbirds are really amazing birds.
That is so sad. I love bees, they never bother me, but those dreadful wasps hate them. We had an oriole feeder and a hummingbird feeder and the wasps only went to the oriole feeder. So, maybe a different style of hummingbird feeder would avoid the wasps. Just sayin....cause no one she be deprived of hummers.Speaking of wasps, we weren't but I will ...... This summer I went hog wild with hummingbird feeders and although I had dozens of hummingbirds and they were wonderful to watch, by August the wasps were totally out of control (they feed at the feeder too-which I did not know). In mid August I was on the front porch and was actually "dive bombed" by 4 or 5 wasps and stung quite badly about the face and head. I took the feeders down and we sprayed the nests we could find and now the wasps are gone. Sadly so are the hummingbirds.