Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took sunny to the vet yesterday to get his health certificate to fly and while i was there i got his pre anitsitsia(i know its spelled soooo wrong) blood work for his neuter coming up well the vet gave me this itemised extimate for the neuter, its around $250, and hse was telling me everything they do and why they do it and whats optional that sort of stuff well she mentioned they do a lazer neuter there beucase it causes less bleeding but i dont get it wht a lazer neuter? is that why its so expensive?(i am cheap cheap cheap
...but of course i will do whats best for sunny)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I do not know much about Lazer neutering but I know Skeeter's neutering surgery cost me $335.00 which was more than Sassy's and Panda's spay surgery (Even Panda's was less and she had to have an umbilical hernia fixed) due to his two retained testicles. So $250 sounds inexpensive to me. But of course I live in North Jersey where everything is expensive.

Susan & my furkidz in NJ

Originally posted by Lilly521@Dec 18 2004, 08:09 PM
I took sunny to the vet yesterday to get his health certificate to fly and while i was there i got his pre anitsitsia(i know its spelled soooo wrong) blood work for his neuter coming up well the vet gave me this itemised extimate for the neuter, its around $250, and hse was telling me everything they do and why they do it and whats optional that sort of stuff well she mentioned they do a lazer neuter there beucase it causes less bleeding but i dont get it wht a lazer neuter? is that why its so expensive?(i am cheap cheap cheap 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24193
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Furbabymom+Dec 18 2004, 07:14 PM-->
I do not know much about Lazer neutering but I know Skeeter's neutering surgery cost me $335.00 which was more than Sassy's and Panda's spay surgery (Even Panda's was less and she had to have an umbilical hernia fixed) due to his two retained testicles. So $250 sounds inexpensive to me. But of course I live in North Jersey where everything is expensive.

Susan & my furkidz in NJ

<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Dec 18 2004, 08:09 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24193
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24195
[/B][/QUOTE]

Well sunny dosnt have any retained testicles and needs no teeth pulled so there wernt any add ons there is an option iv cathader (i thought an iv and a catherder were totally differnt things but apparently not) i will proubly get it though

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Dec 18 2004, 07:18 PM
Well sunny doesnt have any retained testicles and needs no teeth pulled so there wernt any add ons there is an option iv cathader (i thought an iv and a catherder were totally differnt things but apparently not) i will proubly get it though
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24196
[/QUOTE]

Both Kallie and Catcher had their neutering surgery via laser. It was an extra $50. The vet said there is less pain and less blood with laser. However, the stitches have to stay in a full two weeks instead of 10 days.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Dec 18 2004, 08:24 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Dec 18 2004, 07:18 PM
Well sunny doesnt have any retained testicles and needs no teeth pulled so there wernt any add ons there is an option iv cathader (i thought an iv and a catherder were totally differnt things but apparently not) i will proubly get it though
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24196
Both Kallie and Catcher had their neutering surgery via laser. It was an extra $50. The vet said there is less pain and less blood with laser. However, the stitches have to stay in a full two weeks instead of 10 days.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24198
[/B][/QUOTE]

Catcher is So adorable!

Susan & my furkidz in NJ

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Furbabymom@Dec 18 2004, 07:35 PM
Catcher is So adorable!

Susan & my furkidz in NJ
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24201
[/QUOTE]
How nice of you to say that...... his best quality is his personality. He is extremely laid back and easy going. He almost has a mystical Zen-like quality to him that is so endearing.... Kallie (and my first Maltese, Rosebud) is high strung, so it is kind of nice having a calm baby for a change!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
my old vet (who i hate) did lazer. and it was a waste of money because he was a bad vet.

my new vet(who i love) says that lazer isnt anything special.

so its up to you.
if you want to try lazer, then go for it....but you dont need it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Dec 18 2004, 08:25 PM
my old vet (who i hate) did lazer.  and it was a waste of money because he was a bad vet. 

my new vet(who i love) says that lazer isnt anything special.

so its up to you. 
  if you want to try lazer, then go for it....but you dont need it. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24210
[/QUOTE]

Well this vet i am going to now only does it this one way there are a few other places in town i can check out, one place i am alomst positive i can get it done for less money, but i really like this place i am going to now, yesterday when i went a got a diffent vet than i normally do and she was awsome really good with handling sunny getting him to stay still and that kinda stuff

Both Kallie and Catcher had their neutering surgery via laser. It was an extra $50. The vet said there is less pain and less blood with laser. However, the stitches have to stay in a full two weeks instead of 10 days.[/B]
Well this place does those internal stiches that just dissinigrate into the body after so much time so i dont think that the time the stiches stay in would really make a difference

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The laser does make a difference. It decreased bleeding, pain, and inflammation. It can take a little bit longer to heal, so if your vet closes the last skin layer with sutures that need to remove, you will probably be instructed to leave them in the full 2 weeks.

The laser itself and any repairs needed on it are extremely expensive (I know, I'm sending ours out the end of this week...just the box to ship it in was ridiculous). Your vet also undergoes special training on how to use the laser.

For a neuter with 2 descended testicles, you probably won't notice a huge different. For abdominal surgeries, declaws, and other procedures I do notice a difference in pain. Our spays are rarely painful the morning after surgery. Our declaws do incredibly (not that I am a fan of declawing).

We charge around $250-350 depending on the size of a dog for a routine neuter. It is more expensive if there are undescended testicles.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Dec 19 2004, 05:27 PM
The laser does make a difference. It decreased bleeding, pain, and inflammation. It can take a little bit longer to heal, so if your vet closes the last skin layer with sutures that need to remove, you will probably be instructed to leave them in the full 2 weeks.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24289
[/QUOTE]

Jackie, do you have a preference on disolvable vs. removable sutures?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Dec 19 2004, 05:38 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Dec 19 2004, 05:27 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24294
[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, the first layers will be closed with dissolvable sutures. For the final skin layer on a neuter or spay, we use glue. Otherwise I would personally prefer regular sutures.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JMM+Dec 19 2004, 05:42 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 19 2004, 05:38 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Dec 19 2004, 05:27 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24294

[/QUOTE]

Well, the first layers will be closed with dissolvable sutures. For the final skin layer on a neuter or spay, we use glue. Otherwise I would personally prefer regular sutures.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24298
[/B][/QUOTE]

Glue!! I have never heard of that... very interesting! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JMM- i never knew you were a vet i just though you were just very very very well informed lol

anyway like i said i will proubly just end up getting it done here because i like the vet unless i check out another place that i like and the price difference is really radical then i will proubly consider another place but other wise i like this place...i live in a kinda coutry area so a lot of the vets around here get mostly big dogs in and i feel better about taking sunny to a vet were most of the small dogs in town go lol

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Dec 20 2004, 08:16 PM
JMM- i never knew you were a vet i just though you were just very very very well informed lol

anyway like i said i will proubly just end up getting it done here because i like the vet unless i check out another place that i like and the price difference is really radical then i will proubly consider another place but other wise i like this place...i live in a kinda coutry area so a lot of the vets around here get mostly big dogs in and i feel better about taking sunny to a vet were most of the small dogs in town go lol
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24567
[/QUOTE]

I'm not LOL I'm a vet tech and grew up hanging around a veterinary hospital...if I wasn't well informed by now, you should be worried hehehe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts