Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm about to begin introducing a collar to MuShu. But I have heard mixed things on which type of collar to use. Please let me know what you're using: Either leather or nylon? Pros and Cons would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU ALL!!!

~ DiDi ~

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
A collar is fine for his tags but for walking, most of us prefer a harness so there will be no stress on our babies' necks. Malts are prone to collapsed trachea so it is best not to do anything to put stress on that area. Some people do use collars, especially when their Malt walks nicely on a loose leash. But if he is just learning, he will likely pull.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jul 8 2005, 07:55 PM
A collar is fine for his tags but for walking, most of us prefer a harness so there will be no stress on our babies' necks. Malts are prone to collapsed trachea so it is best not to do anything to put stress on that area. Some people do use collars, especially when their Malt walks nicely on a loose leash. But if he is just learning, he will likely pull.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=79561
[/QUOTE]

T.Y KC's Mom. I wonder since harness is usually made of nylon. Would it matt their hair? I'm matt phobic.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by DiDi+Jul 8 2005, 07:59 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Jul 8 2005, 07:55 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=79561
T.Y KC's Mom. I wonder since harness is usually made of nylon. Would it matt their hair? I'm matt phobic.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=79562
[/B][/QUOTE]
I never have had problems with nylon causing matting but mine are in puppy cuts. Someone posted a web site of gorgeous leather harnesses..... I'll try to find the link....

EDIT: The one I was looking for was for collars, not harnesses. I typed in to Google "Leather dog harness" and lots of listings came up.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut will mat under his front legs if I keep his harness (nylon) on all day. Tic doesn't seem to have that problem though even though his hair is longer. There are really cute leather harnesses out there, but I can only seem to find pink ones.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jul 8 2005, 08:30 PM
Peanut will mat under his front legs if I keep his harness (nylon) on all day.  Tic doesn't seem to have that problem though even though his hair is longer.  There are really cute leather harnesses out there, but I can only seem to find pink ones.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=79581
[/QUOTE]
Lexi is the same. I do keep a collar (with her tags) on her when I'm at work. Just in case she would get out. For some reason she doesn't matt when I leave the collar on but if I leave a harness on she matts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts