Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with administering a newish vaccine called Canileish, or a tablet, Leishguard, with little Maltese? I´m a bit dubious about giving it to them, as it can give a bad reaction. At the moment I simply use a cinnamon repellant (not advantix, as that´s supposed to give adverse reactions too) but I´d hate them to actually get the disease for lack of a few tablets or a jab. Just to add, I´ve not seen any dogs around here with the disease, but the vets do encourage folks to protect their dogs.
Thanks for any feedback

·
Premium Member
17,348 Posts
I know someone in Spain who adopted a dog w.this---very difficult disease. One can take precautions not to be out at dusk or early AM, but that isn't always positive enough. We had it in Greece & it is very serious. It is caused by a sandfly mostly. The tiniest of screens are not even fool-proof, but I did use one when they slept. I used a fan on them outside at night (not dusk) to help the mosquitoes stay away. I did not give the shot or meds against it due to the fact that my pups did not get chemicals. I did use my preventative essential oil spray that I mixed myself, but it was a risk I took. We never got it, but I was vigilant. I did hear of someone who gave it to a maltese (I believe it is a series of shots---2 or 3---and they did fine w. the first shot but not the 2nd one. It is sort of a crap-shoot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know someone in Spain who adopted a dog w.this---very difficult disease. One can take precautions not to be out at dusk or early AM, but that isn't always positive enough. We had it in Greece & it is very serious. It is caused by a sandfly mostly. The tiniest of screens are not even fool-proof, but I did use one when they slept. I used a fan on them outside at night (not dusk) to help the mosquitoes stay away. I did not give the shot or meds against it due to the fact that my pups did not get chemicals. I did use my preventative essential oil spray that I mixed myself, but it was a risk I took. We never got it, but I was vigilant. I did hear of someone who gave it to a maltese (I believe it is a series of shots---2 or 3---and they did fine w. the first shot but not the 2nd one. It is sort of a crap-shoot.
Yes, good description! Spain is really bad, Portugal has problems in some areas, not so much in my neighbourhood. The street dogs show no signs here, but only an hour away I´ve seen a dog with the disease, so I do need to think about it well. The vet in my town hasn´t even mentioned it. In the next town along, the vet pushes for folks to vaccinate. I already give them heartgard for heartworm, and one of mine is a bit dicey with that, inclined to bring it up again. I do worry about overdoing it with meds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts