Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I believe the standard only requires them to be the same number of inches in length & height. So 10" high and 10" long, or 8" high and 8" long, etc. The height is calculated from the ground to the withers, and the length is calculated from the withers to the base of the tail.

EDIT: Preston measures nice and square at approximately 9"x9". It's hard for me to measure him since he wants to play with the tape measure...I could be up to an inch off, but he is square. lol London is not very "standard" but measures closely at about 9"x10"...maybe 10.5"long. The rest of her isn't even close to the standard because of her pedigree. Preston was being held back for show when I got him, so he fits the standard very well.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think Lisa's right. Although, I remember Brit saying once that females tend to be a little longer than tall.

Leila is 7.5'' tall and 8'' long (she's 6 months).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding! I am thinking of getting an older pup weighing in at 5 1/2 lbs at 9 months. He measures 9" x 9". Has he reached his maturity weight and height?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I believe the standard only requires them to be the same number of inches in length & height. So 10" high and 10" long, or 8" high and 8" long, etc. The height is calculated from the ground to the withers, and the length is calculated from the withers to the base of the tail.

EDIT: Preston measures nice and square at approximately 9"x9". It's hard for me to measure him since he wants to play with the tape measure...I could be up to an inch off, but he is square. lol London is not very "standard" but measures closely at about 9"x10"...maybe 10.5"long. The rest of her isn't even close to the standard because of her pedigree. Preston was being held back for show when I got him, so he fits the standard very well.
I want to measure Poppy when he gets up. Can I ask what withers are?

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
At nine months he may or may not grow more. A lot of maltese tend to get most of their growth the first year and then body out in the next two years.
Sometimes females are a bit longer than taller, BUT not all and really even males can be longer (or taller). It's all about the genes. :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Basically, shoulders from what I can tell.

Here's a picture:

Dog
Okie dokie ... so the withers being the tallest point of their body, excluding their head. Interesting.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Okie dokie ... so the withers being the tallest point of their body, excluding their head. Interesting.

HUGz! Jules
Correct -- you should be able to feel a little ridge on the withers (as you see in the picture) to help you measure from the correct area.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
At nine months he may or may not grow more. A lot of maltese tend to get most of their growth the first year and then body out in the next two years.
Sometimes females are a bit longer than taller, BUT not all and really even males can be longer (or taller). It's all about the genes. :)
I agree with Brit. Depending on the lines, some Maltese continue maturing well into their 2nd year, while others fully mature before 1 year. The breeder should be able to give you an idea of expected adult weight. Preston's breeder told me that by 7-8 months old he would be fully mature as his lines mature faster. She was absolutely right. After he grew completely, he continued to fill out a bit (ie: not be so fragile looking) and has maintained the same weight for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
20,028 Posts
My Abbey is 9" x 9"

Ava is 7" x 7" (closer to 6 1/2 though)

Arch...oh my gosh, I forget! :w00t: .....I think he's like 10" long

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Here is the line from the standard:
Body: Compact, the height from the withers to the ground equaling the length from the withers to the root of the tail.

No specified number. The specified number for size in Maltese is related to weight.
Size: Weight under 7 pounds, with from 4 to 6 pounds preferred. Overall quality is to be favored over size.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Milo is just under 8 inches tall and about 10 or 11 inches long(I can't remember).
Bearing in mind our breed standard is different.

BODY : The length from the point of the shoulder to the point of the buttock is 38% more than the height of the withers

1 - 20 of 26 Posts