Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max had another round of shots, yesterday. One of the vaccines he got was Lepto, I am not quite sure what that is for. Did everyone else get that? He said he will give him another one with his rabies...is this normal?

Max was jerking around (play) so much the dumb vet stuck himself with the needle--moron. Then, he has the nerve to say "crazy dog"....it really annoyed me...he's not crazy, he's just a baby. We won't be seeing him again...dumb me forgot to request our last vet, she was cool and sweet.

Just had to rant.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would find another vet. It is not recommended to give the lepto, I know of a few people who almost lost their malts due to an allergic reaction. They just don't handle some of the components of the shot very well. And if this guy wants to give your pup a combination lepto/rabies...I would run for the hills.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My baby had the lepto shot and he had a terrible reaction to it.. I'm not quite sure if that was due to the lepto or the rabies.

My vet gave him 2 shots in one day and I did not know better. I am looking for a new vet now. That vet did not even ask how Pudding was doing after his allergic reaction and was rude when answering my concerns.

I recently got a letter from that clinic telling me it's time to go neuter Pudding.. YEAH RIGHT, like I'm going to go back THERE...!!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank God he had no reaction, then. Who knew?? I am not going to let them give anything with the rabies. I told him, arent you supposed to give rabies alone? he said well, some people worry about the side effects of rabies (well, duh!!) but we give it....NO we don't. I waited longer than the suggested 2 weeks between shots, too. We will wait about 4 weeks till we get the rabies.

I thought, I hadn't heard about lepto anywhere...so he kinda caught me off guard.

Now, to search the holistic vets sites to find out what they do to reverse the rabies vaccine damage.

I am thinking holistic vet. I don't like all these chemicals etc. If anti biiotics destroy childrens immune systems I am sure it effects dogs, too. I'd prefer going with natural remedies. We'll see what we find.

Thanks for the info on Lepto, I had no clue.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Rabies is required by law here.
or else I would not give my baby this either... We are so careful with our babies, there's no need for lepto or rabies.

lepto is from the urine of rats and wildlife with the disease. dogs can get it by drinking the water that is contaminated by the urine of an infected animal. I DOUBT this will happen to our babies...

Don't get the lepto next time!

Also, our babies get the same amount of vaccines as a german shepard!!!! Ask the vet for a half dose if possible. I had to learn everything the hard way after Pudding's reaction..
Now I'm nervous about his neutering....

·
Registered
126 Posts
The vets in my area had stopped giving the Lepto shot untill recently. A neighbor owns a Havanesse that had Lepto. It caught it from a chipmonk that it caught. It almost died before it was diagnosed and the vet bill at Auburn University was over 4 thousand. So now the vets give the Lepto shot again. My Lacie had the vacine with no reaction. I guess I will have to decide about giving it to the new puppy.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
there is a new lepto shot out that prevents more strains of lepto...it causes less reactions. it is made by fortdodge company. if ur dog ever goes outside i recommend it....any where a rodent might crawl and pee it a place that is of high risk. now if ur baby doesnt walk on the ground then dont get the vaccine. lepto is one of the few diseases our dogs can give to us and we can give to them. it is an aweful thing to experience and most dogs dont survive the treatment once infected. it causes severe kidney damage. i know some people dont want their dog to have a reaction to it and that is why they dont want to give it. that is a good reason, and i would just make sure your malt cant go where any rodent would go. but vets can have u give a dose of benadryl before your vet visit, so there is less chance of a reaction.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
My Sassy had to have the Lepto vaccine due to the fact that we were taking her out of the country and it was required by immigrations. My vet gave her the benedryl before the Lepto and she had no reaction. A lot of the combination shots have the Lepto already included in them and if you don't ask specifically that your baby not receive the Lepto it is just automatically given. The combo shots come both ways: DHLPP and DHPP, you might even have to request that your vet get the shot without the Lepto if you decide against it.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
My vet gave Abbey the lepto by itself because she knew I was scared. My breeder had told me not to get the lepto but my vet said lepto is around our area. We have deer, squirel, mice, etc. around here and she said even eating a blade of grass that an infected animal has urinated on could infect Abbey.
I waited in the parking lot of the vet's for an hour before I left and my vet checked her over again before I drove home.

Two weeks later, she got the Rabies shot. I wasn't too concerned about this one since she did fine with the lepto so I drove home and within a couple of hours Abbey had a reaction to the rabies. So, vet said to give benadryl then after that didn't work - we went back to the vet's office where they gave her something to counteract it.

Rabies shot is required by law here to so I will be scared when that time rolls around again! But this time, we'll be sitting in the parking lot!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
My vet gave Abbey the lepto by itself because she knew I was scared. My breeder had told me not to get the lepto but my vet said lepto is around our area. We have deer, squirel, mice, etc. around here and she said even eating a blade of grass that an infected animal has urinated on could infect Abbey.
I waited in the parking lot of the vet's for an hour before I left and my vet checked her over again before I drove home.

Two weeks later, she got the Rabies shot. I wasn't too concerned about this one since she did fine with the lepto so I drove home and within a couple of hours Abbey had a reaction to the rabies. So, vet said to give benadryl then after that didn't work - we went back to the vet's office where they gave her something to counteract it.

Rabies shot is required by law here to so I will be scared when that time rolls around again! But this time, we'll be sitting in the parking lot!
[/B]
You can give benadryl an hour before the vaccine next time to help prevent a reaction.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
The area you live in will determine if Lepto or Corona is needed. Where I live they say it isn't a problem. Some breeders are advising against both. I've used 3 different vet practices in the last couple of years, and all three have quit giving Lepto unless requested. I don't know how long the new shot has been out, so maybe that will change. Rabis is required by law every 3 years here.

In our paper this AM they say there is an epidemic of distemper in raccoons in this area. They can spread it to dogs. Distemper can be really nasty and is one our dogs always need to keep current on. Do a titer if you haven't vaccinated in a while and want to make sure.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, thankfully no reactions so far.

I am actually more concerned about the side effects of rabies. I am going to look up what holistic docs do to counter act the "damages" they say rabies shots do to them. If I can't find out, I will try to call a holistic vet before he gets his rabies.

Thanks for the benadryl tip....wasn't aware of that one.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have a question regarding the benadryl. Is it the same benadryl that we can buy otc, the same dosage?

I would like more info please, such as feeding instruction, dosage, and if necessary-the brand.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Yes, it's the same Bendryl you can buy at any drugstore. You should probably check with your vet, though, about the right dosage for your guys based on their weight.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Yes, it's the same Bendryl you can buy at any drugstore. You should probably check with your vet, though, about the right dosage for your guys based on their weight.[/B]
I use the children's benidryl. When I had to give some to nikki I think it was like a 1/4 of the pill, which was already REALLY small. Glad I had a pill cutter on hand. LOL

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Maya will sometimes sneeze over and over and the vet told us we can give her 1/2 a tablet of Benadryl. She didnt seem drowsy at all and the sneezing stopped. I think 1/2 a tablet is safe for a pup 4-10 lbs., dont have experience giving it to haley, who is right under 4 lbs., but I would probably give her 1/3 of a tablet.

As far as the lepto- our first vet would give them the DHLP, which included the lepto, his outlook was its better safe than sorry. I decided to go to another vet that didnt give it, and I ended up not liking that clinic at all. Our original vet was really knowledgable and didnt get annoyed at all my questions. Im gonna ask him about the new lepto vaccine. In my experience, mine have gotten sick from the rabies (vomitting) which makes me hesitant, but the series they have luckily been ok with. What a lot of people dont know though is that our bodies must be exposed to something to have an allergic reaction, so just because they dont have one the first or second time, doesnt mean they wont ever. I definitely will be giving benadryl before their vaccines just in case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts