Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my regular vets' today just picking up some prescription food for my schnauzer. I also gave them the rabies vaccine certificate for her (had it done at another location). The receptionist checked my records for all my dogs for me.

This was when she told me that they are requiring leptospirosis vaccination as a condition of boarding in their kennel area. I was very surprised--I've been going there for over a decade and was not aware of that requirement. I didn't ask if it was new, and if so, why, because I think that receptionist is fairly new.

I know the senior vet had told me last year that he had treated a dog from one of our city neighborhoods for lepto recently and it was pretty bad. So we went ahead and vaccinated Spunky (now deceased), but did it separately from his other vaccines.

I wonder if lepto is becoming more prevalent in my area.

Has anyone else encountered this as a requirement for boarding?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Lepto is very dependent on the locality. I would give your vet a call to discuss your dog's risk level. If your dog for a health reason should not receive the vaccine, your vet should be able to give you a waiver for boarding. You may have to sign the waiver stating you understand the risk.
Roo is vaccinated every 6-12 months with a separate lepto because he is high risk. If your dog truly needs the vaccine, the new, separate 4-way does not have the same reactions the old lepto did.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. :) Two of my dogs (non Maltese) probably should have dentals soon, so I'll ask about it at that time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts