Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I've done the picture right, but it's in the gallery. Now, let me tell you who Kim is. She is my new little one born by c-section in the wee hours of Sunday morning. She is from my Julia, a sweet little one with great confirmation, chosen to be bred to a boy I helped sponsor for his American championship. He is from some of the European lines I wanted introduced into my breeding. He was here only a few weeks, and he finished his championship in five shows with four majors. Yesterday, he won best of group in his first Italian show. So, I'm very proud to have this wonderful little girl from him.
Now, for the other exciting news
I got to assist with her birth. I had talked with my vet earlier in the week, and he asked if I felt comfortable working in the delivery if it was an emergency. Sure enough, it was as Julia was due on the 30th if we go 63 days from the first day she was artificially inseminated. She went into labor shortly before midnight Saturday night (day 54), and off we went. The x-ray showed what I suspected in that there was one pup, and she would have problems with the delivery. All is well, and mom and baby are asleep in their basket on the sofa, but it was a scary time during the surgery as the vet took so long. My job was to monitor her heart, regulate the O2, and revive the pup--which took forever. I rubbed vigerously, shook her, cleaned her nose and mouth, and finally blew into her mouth. The vet's comment at that was "you didn't fall off a turnip truck". That breath was precious. It took a few more minutes until she cried, and then I clamped and cut the cord. Warm towels and a heating pad were ready for her, but I just wrapped her up in a warm towel and held her as I watched Julia being sewed back up. Her temperature dropped, and we put her on the heating pad and used hot water bottles made from surgical gloves. Towels for her and Kim were warmed in the dryer. When she was awake and doing OK, I bundled her and Kim up with new "hot water bottles" around her and headed home. I'm still feeding Kim some as Julia's milk is just coming in. She nurses a lot, but still wants the formula. She is a strong, fat puppy.
I haven't decided on a registered name for Kim, but her call name is the vet's wife's name. I thought it only right to do this since he got out of bed and spent most of the night making sure she arrived safely.
I thought it would be fun to post her progress on the site. She was born around this time (almost two am on Sunday morning), so she is two days old in the first picture. I'm hoping she will be one I can show, but even if she isn't, she will still be one of my babies.
Julia will go in for her spay in ten weeks. Her full time job then will be to help hold the sofa down.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
thought i'd post the pic so that everyone could see it without visiting the gallery.

congratulations! that was such an interesting story. i cant wait to watch little kimmie grow up

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
What a sweet tiny baby!

And how COOL that you got to assist and do all that!
WOW!
Great story!!! Lots of hugs and kisses to mom and baby!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Awww. How precious. What a gift of the experience you had. She'll be forever in your heart. I look forward to seeing her photos as she grows up.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Oh My! What an experience for you. And what a great picture of the new baby. Hope all continues to go well for Kim and for Julia. We'll love getting the updates from you.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thought i'd post the pic so that everyone could see it without visiting the gallery.

Thanks so much for helping post the picture. I need to figure out what I am doing wrong so I can post updates. I ran into a problem when I did the copy to paste as there was nothing showing to paste. Help!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou+May 24 2005, 10:17 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@May 24 2005, 06:47 AM

Thanks so much for helping post the picture. I need to figure out what I am doing wrong so I can post updates. I ran into a problem when I did the copy to paste as there was nothing showing to paste. Help!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64750
[/B][/QUOTE]
What steps are you doing? Where is the picture stored?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[]
What steps are you doing? Where is the picture stored?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64753
[/QUOTE]

I stored the picture in the gallery. I then right clicked on the image and selected copy. Then, I had to go back and set up a post. From there, I clicked on the image button to paste the link. I didn't have anything to paste at this point.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by dhodina@May 24 2005, 10:29 AM
Too cute she is a pudgy lil thing isn't she.  I love it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64757
[/QUOTE]

Yes, she is a pudgy six ounces. She was born on the 22nd, and the 63rd day from first AI would have been the 30th. Her mom is just under five pounds, and her sire weighed six. I had to explain to the vet that Maltese would come up to ten days early. He said he learned from me during the section. Of course when you do a section in the middle of the night you get the young vet as the older, experienced one doesn't do night calls. This guy really doesn't know that much about Maltese, but he is willing to learn. Sad thing is this is my only option in this town other than the other emergency clinic who has a different vet on call each night. It's mostly supplied by vets who are just out of school or those who don't have a good practice of their own.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww What a lil rat! LOL Can we see pictures of the mom and dad too?

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
How cute!

-c

1 - 20 of 30 Posts