Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Catcher is truly the embodiment of the temperament standard. After I got him, I saw what it meant. When I had my first Maltese Rosebud, I thought whoever wrote the standard had to be way wrong because she didn't have a lot of those traits at all. I didn't understand "gentle manner" until I got Catcher.

Then I got Kallie and she is so very sweet and such a good girl, but I wouldn't say she has a gentle manner either.... she is all play play play and headstrong and often hyper.

But Catcher has every one of those traits.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@May 21 2005, 08:45 PM
My interpretation of "gentle manner" is the trademark affection that Maltese have for everyone.  Most toy breeds can be nippy, snidely, and standoffish.  The Maltese is known to be the friendliest to others, and gentle in their nature.  Sylphide and Shrek are both like this.  They might bark at strangers, but they then smother them with affection.  And if we have guests, Shrek and Sylphide just love them all.

I read the vigor, liveliness and playfulness to be euphemisms for their potenitally active and hyperactive nature, as well as their propensity for mischief (Sylphide).  Maltese love to play!  Would we want to change that?

I think mine meet the temperament standard with wide ranges of difference, and you know, I love Sylphide's sass, attitude, and personality!  and I also love Shrek's easy going nature.  I wouldn't change a thing...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64182
[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, I had never thought of "gentle manner" in that way..... what I see in Catcher is something difficult to describe but when he is around me there is just a peacefulness and gentleness about him that is very endearing. He can just gaze at me with the most loving eyes and not be wiggly or squirmy but just fixated on me. I just wouldn't say Kallie had a gentle manner..... lots of great qualities that I love, but not gentle mannered, as I see the term.

I know what you mean about actually liking what some may see as a negative. I've always thought that it is no fun to have a dog that is too perfect with no attitude. My first Maltese, Rosebud, had tons of attitude and that is what I loved about her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts