Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to put Lexi in her pen before I went back to work and she started growling at me. I told her "NO!" and started her in the eyes until she looked away. I picked her back up and this time she growled and turned her head like she was going to bite me. I again told her "NO!" and started her in the eyes until she looked away. I think I even tapped her nose and said "No Bite!". When I picked her up the third time she bite my hand! She has NEVER done that before. I told her "NO BITE!" and I held her mouth closed and put her in her crate.

She has started growling the last couple of weeks when I put her in her pen sometimes but normally I just tell her "No!" and thats the end of it. She has NEVER even tried to bite me.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I think sometimes the (child) comes out in them. Wanting to talk back and just try ya.

Puddles was starting to be a sassy butt (barking back at me) when it would be crate time or bath time. So I would just take control and show him, didn't take him long to be remember whos boss.

Good for you standing up to her, we are the Moms !!

Is your hand okay?? Sure hope so !!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hand is fine. She didn't break the skin. At first there were just 4 little indentations in my hand. After a few minutes it starting get red where her teeth had dragged across the skin and they got a little puffy. Its been about 30 minutes and it is almost back to normal.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Lexi is 1yr old right? Kodie started his temper around that age also... and he NEVER was nasty to be before EVER! I dunno what it is... but i think its common for these babies to test us! I am still trying to get Kodie to be nice when eating a GREENIE!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Flurry snapped at me once right after the vet, I was comfoting him and he snapped at me. He didn't bite though. He hates shots. When he went back
I did not touch him all the way home and he was fine. He does nibble my knees
run areound like a maniac and lift my nightgown in the morning, it's embarrassing but not hurtful. The dog book say you grab their nose and say NO! firmly. So you handled it perfect. I hope you are ok. I know I was hurt emotionally too when I was snapped at until I realized we just disagreed.
Article I read:
The most effective method is the "Yelp and Shun" method.
Try "yelping" in a loud high-pitched voice when he bites. As soon as he lets go, turn away from him, and refuse to play any longer. This mimics the behaviour that his pack-mates would use when he gets out of line. Before long, your puppy will learn that using his mouth on his people cause his people to turn away from him.

Other methods that may work with your dog are:

"Trade". Trade me that arm for this toy, and you'll recieve plenty of praise when your chewing is redirected to an appropriate outlet.

"Instant Muzzle". When your puppy grabs your hand, flip it around on him and wrap it around his muzzle, holding his mouth closed for a few seconds. This is not a pleasant experience, and many dogs often get the hint fairly quickly.

Play biting can evolve into a serious problem, so it is best to find out which method works, and employ it to teach your dog appropriate play.

Hope the article helped

http://specials.about.com/zxfcp0.htm?gs=do...ing_nipping.htm

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just signed her up for an obdience class but it doesn't start until March 1. Hopefull I can nip this in the butt before then.

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by sherylmint+Jan 26 2005, 02:08 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Jan 26 2005, 03:03 PM
I just signed her up for an obdience class but it doesn't start until March 1.  Hopefull I can nip this in the butt before then.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31707
The direct link for nipping biting

http://dogs.about.com/cs/basictraining/f/biting_nipping.htm
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31710
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link.

This wasn't really a nip type bite. This was a "I'm pissed and going to bite you" bite. She was growling and baring her teeth when she did it.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I keep her in her exercise pen. In the pen she has her crate (door open), lots of toys and water. When she is not in a mood she will willingly walk into the crate. In fact this morning she went into the crate by herself.

Nichole: Thanks for the idea about her maybe being sore. I will check her out when I get home. I'm hoping it is a one time thing. The growling was bad but biting is just unexceptable.

After she bite me I locked her in her crate with some toys. I was kind of mad at her at that point.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I don't know what Lexi's background is, but I have read that often puppy mill pups can develop aggressive behavior around age 1 or 1&1/2.

I'm sure you'll be able to get a handle on it, Kristi. You are obviously aware that her behavior is totally unacceptable and will take whatever steps necessary to nip it in the bud as you say. Since the obedience classes don't start until March, if it continues, consider getting a personal trainer to come to your house and work one on one with you and Lexi. We had to do that once with a Springer puppy and the trainer was worth every penny.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jan 26 2005, 03:34 PM
I don't know what Lexi's background is, but I have read that often puppy mill pups can develop aggressive behavior around age 1 or 1&1/2.

I'm sure you'll be able to get a handle on it, Kristi. You are obviously aware that her behavior is totally unacceptable and will take whatever steps necessary to nip it in the bud as you say. Since the obedience classes don't start until March, if it continues, consider getting a personal trainer to come to your house and work one on one with you and Lexi. We had to do that once with a Springer puppy and the trainer was worth every penny.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31725
[/QUOTE]
are u serious? what does that mean for pups that are not from a puppy mill and still do this?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think she was just testing me. We were playing and she didn't want to stop. She knows that when I close the pen door that mean I'm leaving. I'm going to start giving her some treats when I leave and see if that helps.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
All Maltese who show aggressive tendencies are not from pet shops and puppy mills obviously. Some are just alpha dogs whose owners are unaware of how to handle their "push the envelope" behavior in the beginning and it escalates to biting.

I have read, though, that difficulty house breaking, socializing and adult aggression are all too common traits in puppy mill pups. If you think about it, it makes sense. Just like with human babies, the beginning weeks of life and interaction with humans and other dogs are critical to their personality development. Being raised in wire cages like rabbits with little or no human contact is not that far removed from being wild. On the other hand, puppies who are loving home raised under foot as they say have a totally different world view and attitude towards humans.

It's also why it is so important for a puppy to stay with his mom and littermates until 12 weeks old. They learn important pack behavior - and their lowly place it - from their Mom. Have you ever seen a momma dog discipline a feisty pup? Since puppy mill pups are taken from their mother BEST CASE at 6 weeks (but records are often falsified and the pups are really much younger) they miss a very important part of their development.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking back there have been signs that she is getting aggressive but for some reason I didn't put it together. She has started to get aggresive towards dogs she doesn't know. She goes nuts when we go to PetSmart or Three Dog Bakery. And then the growling thing and now the biting. Dang it! I don't think I can afford private lessons. I'm going to stop after work and take to the trainers and see if they can recommend some stuff to do between now and when the class starts.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
How can such a sweet face turn into such a little devil? Have you tried calling the trainer for the course you've signed up to attend? He might be willing to discuss your situation. Our PetSmart is offering a series of single courses aimed at helping specific behavior problems...potty issues, biting issues, barking issues. You may want to see if yours is doing something similar. I think they were charging a nominal fee to attend...something under $20.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by saltymalty@Jan 26 2005, 03:57 PM
How can such a sweet face turn into such a little devil?  Have you tried calling the trainer for the course you've signed up to attend?  He might be willing to discuss your situation.  Our PetSmart is offering a series of single courses aimed at helping specific behavior problems...potty issues, biting issues, barking issues.  You may want to see if yours is doing something similar.  I think they were charging a nominal fee to attend...something under $20.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31750
[/QUOTE]

I'm going to stop over at the training place after work and talk to them about what I can do. I'm hoping that they will be able some stuff that I can do on my own. Because right now I can't afford to do private training. I still haven't sold my old car so I have double loan payments and double insurance. Plus I have a lot of medical bills right now. But if that is what I have to do I will find the money to get the training.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jan 26 2005, 04:06 PM
All Maltese who show aggressive tendencies are not from pet shops and puppy mills obviously. Some are just alpha dogs whose owners are unaware of how to handle their "push the envelope" behavior in the beginning and it escalates to  biting.

I have read, though, that difficulty house breaking, socializing and adult aggression are all too common traits in puppy mill pups. If you think about it, it makes sense. Just like with human babies, the beginning weeks of life and interaction with humans and other dogs are critical to their personality development. Being raised in wire cages like rabbits with little or not human contact is not that far removed from being wild. On the other hand, puppies who are loving home raised under foot as they say have a totally different world view and attitude towards humans.

It's also why it is so important for a puppy to stay with his mom and littermates until 12 weeks old. They learn important pack behavior - and their lowly place it - from their Mom. Have you ever seen a momma dog discipline a feisty pup? Since puppy mill pups are taken from their mother BEST CASE at 6 weeks (but records are often falsified and the pups are really much younger) they miss a very important part of their development.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31734
[/QUOTE]

Marj, what you say makes sense. My first Maltese, Rosebud, was bought from a home breeder but she left her mother and littermates at 7 weeks... I didn't know any better in 1990 and neither did the breeder!
She snapped at me if she was unhappy with me! I didn't know how to ever stop it and it continued her entire life. I learned what situations set her off and I avoided those, so we had a pretty peaceful time of it for the most part. I loved her dearly nonetheless.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jan 26 2005, 04:48 PM
Looking back there have been signs that she is getting aggressive but for some reason I didn't put it together.  She has started to get aggresive towards dogs she doesn't know.  She goes nuts when we go to PetSmart or Three Dog Bakery.  And then the growling thing and now the biting.  Dang it!  I don't think I can afford private lessons.  I'm going to stop after work and take to the trainers and see if they can recommend some stuff to do between now and when the class starts.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31747
[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about Lexi last night and suspected that there had probably been some signs leading up to her biting as they usually don't just bite one day unless they are injured or in pain.

I learned so much from the trainer we had. My Peggy was growling and being food protective from the day we brought her home at 7 weeks. (That was my first lecture from my then vet about why NOT to buy a puppy from a newspaper ad from a backyard breeder) She then became protective about her toys and snapped at my 3 year old son if he was even anywhere near her when she had a toy. We did what I now know was the wrong thing by believing that she had a right to "her" stuff and gave her space. Then she got on the couch one night and my ex-husband tried to tell her to get off and she growled at him! We obviously had a problem that was getting worse as she was only 6 or 7 months old. My vet recommended a trainer to come to our home and evaluate her and teach us how to modify her behavior.

The trainer stressed that this type of behavior would only get worse and warned that one day she might decide that she didn't want us to do something and "eat our face" if we didn't stop the behavior. "Biting the hand that feeds" is very serious and totally unacceptable behavior. It doesn't matter WHY they did it (jealously, anger, etc.) because they have no right to do it. Ever. Not once.

I would check with your vet and see if he can recommend a trainer. If you can nip this in the bud early on, it might not be as expensive as you think. It may just involve a few sessions to train you how to handle and correct Lexi's behavior now to avoid the behavior escalating. It will be money very well spent as it will be an investment in Lexi's future.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I talked to my trainer last night after work. He gave me some suggestions to try for 2 weeks. In 2 weeks I'm supposed to get a hold of him and let him know how things are going. One of his suggestions is to try a "Nothing is Free" type of training. This means Lexi has to work for everything (food, going outside, playing, coming up onto my lap, etc.) She needs to do some sits, downs, stands, etc. for all of these things. Another suggestion is that when she is on my lap not pick her up but to instead slowly start to stand so that she willing jumps off my lap. After she is off I make her do some sits and downs. I've also thrown some treats into her pen so that she willingly walks in.

Yesterday I was thinking back trying to decide if there were some signs. The only thing I could think of was about a month ago she started to get aggressive towards strange dogs (dogs she doesn't know). It just started one day. Before that she would bark at them but when we actually got up to the she turned into a kissing machine. She is not like that with unknown dogs now. She barks, growls and sometimes snaps at them.

I told my trainer about this and he wants to work on her aggression to me first. After we find something that works for that he is going to have me bring her in to she for himself how she is acting with strange dogs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts