Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading a post about care after spaying. I cann't remember if it was here or the other site. I am trying to put together a list of questions to ask the vet and also things that will make it easier for at the vets and afterwards at home. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have some baby onsies that I bought. I have put them on her a couple of times in the last week or so to get her used to them. I have also clipped the hair on her belly so it is a little shorter (3/8 inch) so that I will not have to comb it as much the first couple of weeks after the surgery. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
oh, it was nicoles thread i think. about when toby got neutered. my main points was to ask for inside stitches. i think its something new. it gets absorbed in the skin. i'll look for the thread.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
ok, i have no idea which thread it was. i searched for a while.

ask for pain meds
get a toy and a little blanket with your scent for lexi to have.
can you pick up same day or the day after?
when you take lexi home---see if she needs to go potty.
buy a cone from petsmart or petco just in case. the vet charges $15 for the cone.
buy a little collar if you dont have one now---so then you can attach it to the cone...so the cone doesnt fall off.

i cant really think of anything else. people here had good ideas. i'll look for that thread some more

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I have been really busy at work so I have not had time to think about it. Which is a good thing. :lol: But now that it is time for it I am starting to get nervous. I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a long day.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Keep us posted on her progress.... this will hurt you more than her! as the others said, try not to worry, ask for pain meds, (some vets consider this optional
) and send her with something that has your scent on it; a little blanket, pillowcase or t-shirt would do. This will make her more comfortable when she is in recovery. I also think it is a good idea if you give her a bath just before she goes in..... I believe when the vet sees a clean, well cared for pet they are more careful also.

Judi

J

·
0 Posts
Good luck to you and Lexi. Just remember you are doing the right thing for her. Lacey goes September 9th to get fixed. I know that I will be a nervous mommy that day. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, everyone. I dropped Lexi off this morning at 7:30. I can pick her up between 4-6 today. I was hoping to leave work at 4:00 but I am not sure if I will be able to now. I went home sick yesterday (dang head cold
). Plus we are on a major deadline right now. I tried to leave one of my t-shirts but the nurse said that the doctors would not let them put it in the crate <_< . I felt so bad this morning because Lexi was hunger and I could not give her any food or water from midnight on. We have a routine in the morning (go outside to potty when we first get up, then we come in and she goes in her crate to eat breakfast). When we came in she went running to her crate and just sat there waiting for her food.
I felt so bad because I knew she was thristy and hunger. I think I will stop and get her some babyfood to mix with her dinner since she might be getting some teeth pulled. I can't wait for this work day to end!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
talk to your vet when you pick her up. i wasnt allowed to feed ellie or gruffi when they got surgeries.
it was very upsetting. i had to wait till the next morning and then only feed half of what they normally eat. something like that. sprite was able to come home after surgery and eat 1/3 of her food. try also putting boiled chicken and white rice. like a little treat for being a brave little girl.
but just a little cuz she's not used to regular food. give lexi kisses from sprite, ellie, and gruffi---they feel her pain.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Kristi,

Do keep us posted on Lexi's recovery.... I know you are worried but she will be fine! Do check with the vet about food though and be sure to get her those "optional" pain pills. Be sure to give her lots of kisses from all of us at spoiled maltese we will all be thinking about her.

Judi

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This morning I told them to pull any remaining baby teeth (should be at the most 4), to microchip her, and that I wanted pain meds to take home with me. I was almost not going to have the microchipping done today. The ARL is holding a microchipping clinic on Aug 21. It is $40 at the vet and only $25 at the clinic. I got thinking about it an decided to just get it done today. They will do it while she is out so I don't have to worry about it hurting her and also that means I don't have to drive to the other end of town and wait in line to have it done. That was worth the extra $15. I don't have internet at home so I will not be able to let you know how Lexi is doing until Monday. I will be sure to post a followup ASAP on Monday.

Thanks for the support!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts