Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I "made" Lexi a new dog bed yesterday. What I did was buy a cheap pillow (didn't have any old ones), a water-proof allergy pillow cover, and a pillow sham. I got a quilted pillow sham (thought it would hold up better). The whole thing cost a little over $20. Over Christmas I'm going to have my mom sew some velcro on the back of the pillow sham to help keep it closed.

More Pictures

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend suggested it and I was like why didn't I think of that! I got a more expensive pillow sham because Lexi likes to dig so I wanted to make sure it could with stand that. Otherwise I could have done it for less.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I've always thought of making them their own bed or just buying a big pillow versus buying a "dog bed." It just seems like they add 50 bucks to it and called it a dog bed.

Great job Lexi's mom!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by mylittlebella@Dec 20 2004, 10:27 AM
Bella digs a lot too so I would probably have to do the same.  When the time comes that I have to replace her new bed, I will do this.  It's cute and cheap.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24419
[/QUOTE]

Plus you can match it to your decor! If you can sew you could get fabric and make your own pillow case. You could put a zipper or just velcro on one side.

What to here something funny? The first night I did this (I guess I did it on Saturday) Lexi either peed on the pillow or did some major drolling on it. So I had to spray the cover with Natures Miracle and then fabreeze. I'm doing wash tonight so I will probably wash it.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
lexis probably marking her territory. LOL.
whenever we go somewhere new...ellie HAS to pee. hopefully it was drool.
sprite drools when she sleeps. lol.

how does she like the pillow though? have you taken pics of her on it?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She seems to like it. I'll try to take a picture of her on it tonight. The first night she somehow flipped it up, laid under it, and then the pillow fell ontop of her. At least that was how she was when I let her out of her crate in the morning. She didn't seem to mind. Her body was under the pillow but her head was resting on it. Doesn't sound very comfortable to me.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Dec 20 2004, 12:56 PM
She seems to like it.  I'll try to take a picture of her on it tonight.  The first night she somehow flipped it up, laid under it, and then the pillow fell ontop of her.  At least that was how she was when I let her out of her crate in the morning.  She didn't seem to mind.  Her body was under the pillow but her head was resting on it.  Doesn't sound very comfortable to me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24470
[/QUOTE]
aww how cute! cant wait to see the pics of her on it!

·
Registered
219 Posts
That's a great idea-you're so creative! I can sew, but if I had to make those quilting seams, It would look like, well, my dog did it.
I like the color too!

Pictures!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Does the waterproof pillowcover make that plasticy sound, or is it soft? I'm having trouble with dog beds because Sadie will do a few drops of tinkle when we are getting her out of her crate in the morning. She is just so excited. She doesn't pee on her bed, but it still eventually gets a urine smell. Every time I wash a pillow the fiberfill gets all balled up inside the case. I guess the waterproof cover would do the trick.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The waterproof pillow case I got is a polyester like material. No plastic sound. They did have one that was vinyl but I got the more expensive ($1 more) allergy one.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I did this with Brinkley when I got him instead of buying a bed...but I used old pillows. I bought the waterproof covers and some cute pillowcases. I was afraid to tell anyone b/c I thought people would think I was cheap
. Lexi's is much cuter than Brink's though..that sham is really great!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts