Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Lexi has the run of the apt.

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  sheila2182 
#1 ·
Today is the 4th time I've left Lexi loose in the apartment. I started on Sunday for 2hrs and then Monday for 3hrs. Yesterday and today for 4hrs. So far no accidents and she has not gotten into anything she shouldn't. I started thinking today if she keeps this up in a couple of weeks I might try leaving her out all day (with me coming home at lunch for an hour). By the time I get another puppy she might not need the exercise pen and I could use it for the puppy.

#4 ·
Way to go Lexi
Paris is seven months old and I started leaving her out about two weeks ago. I come home at lunch. She hasn't had an accident yet. Heck, I don't think she even gets off the couch while I am gone.

#5 ·
Originally posted by paris@May 25 2005, 02:28 PM
Way to go Lexi

Paris is seven months old and I started leaving her out about two weeks ago.  I come home at lunch.  She hasn't had an accident yet.  Heck, I don't think she even gets off the couch while I am gone.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65182
[/QUOTE]
Lexi always meets me at the door but I think that might be the only time she gets up. Everything else looks like it is in the same place. Heck yesterday I forgot to put the gate up in the hallway so she had access to the bedroom, closet and bathroom. Normally she would be in my bedroom trying to get into the hamper. Nothing looked out of place. I think she sleeps the entire time. I would love to set up a camcorder to tape her. Might have to borrow one.

#6 ·
Yay Lexi!!!! That's great!!! The one problem that I have had with one dog in the ex-pen and the other one being left with free run of the house is that Peanut tries to 'rescue' Tic from the Ex-pen. It's the cutest thing I've ever seen! They whine to each other and Peanut scratches at the ex-pen.

#7 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut@May 25 2005, 02:34 PM
Yay Lexi!!!!  That's great!!!  The one problem that I have had with one dog in the ex-pen and the other one being left with free run of the house is that  Peanut tries to 'rescue' Tic from the Ex-pen.  It's the cutest thing I've ever seen!  They whine to each other and Peanut scratches at the ex-pen.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65185
[/QUOTE]
LOL! Lexi has tried to "break out" before by biting on the bars. I think she thinks she can chew through them. I've seen her close the door to her crate while outside of it and then bite at it trying to open it. I think she thinks she can do that with the pen.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+May 25 2005, 02:38 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@May 25 2005, 02:34 PM
Yay Lexi!!!!  That's great!!!  The one problem that I have had with one dog in the ex-pen and the other one being left with free run of the house is that  Peanut tries to 'rescue' Tic from the Ex-pen.  It's the cutest thing I've ever seen!  They whine to each other and Peanut scratches at the ex-pen.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65185
LOL! Lexi has tried to "break out" before by biting on the bars. I think she thinks she can chew through them. I've seen her close the door to her crate while outside of it and then bite at it trying to open it. I think she thinks she can do that with the pen.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65186
[/B][/QUOTE]

Boca, our old pitbull would actually chew thru, bend or break the wire to get out. She hated crates. We had a new crate every month to two months.

#9 ·
Free roaming is only family room and kitchen at our house, back hallway (but all doors back there are closed). She can also go out to the Studio, but only if she is watched....She's been as good as gold (knock wood) for quite some time now, but, she still bears watching!! If we are going to be occupied she still gets a Casita break.....all in all, she's a good girl!

#10 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+May 25 2005, 02:31 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-paris
@May 25 2005, 02:28 PM
Way to go Lexi

Paris is seven months old and I started leaving her out about two weeks ago.  I come home at lunch.  She hasn't had an accident yet.  Heck, I don't think she even gets off the couch while I am gone.
Lexi always meets me at the door but I think that might be the only time she gets up. Everything else looks like it is in the same place. Heck yesterday I forgot to put the gate up in the hallway so she had access to the bedroom, closet and bathroom. Normally she would be in my bedroom trying to get into the hamper. Nothing looked out of place. I think she sleeps the entire time. I would love to set up a camcorder to tape her. Might have to borrow one.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65184
[/B][/QUOTE]

My two go into a suspended animation when I'm gone. Sometimes they are in the exact same spot I left them 4 hours later.

I've been told that for every month your puppy ages, it can hold it's potty for an hour longer. It held true with my pup. She is 11 months now and can hold it for about 8 hours

#11 ·
Originally posted by Jimmi+May 25 2005, 03:50 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 25 2005, 02:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-paris
@May 25 2005, 02:28 PM
Way to go Lexi

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65184

[/QUOTE]

My two go into a suspended animation when I'm gone. Sometimes they are in the exact same spot I left them 4 hours later.

I've been told that for every month your puppy ages, it can hold it's potty for an hour longer. It held true with my pup. She is 11 months now and can hold it for about 8 hours
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65205
[/B][/QUOTE]
Lexi has held it for 12 hours before (at night). During the day she has held it for 8-10hrs. I try not to do that too often.

#13 ·
Lexi!!!

Brink has had the run of the living room, family room and kitchen for a LONG time when we are gone. He always sleeps when we are gone....he never bothers anything unless we come home and leave again really quick...then he will chew a wee pad up in frustration. But I think I have cured that by filling his spaceship toy with treats or a plastic bottle with treats. Then he works on getting them out and doesn't chew a pad up. He is

#17 ·
I too am able to leave Teddy...he is so good would not get into anything or do anything I would not approve of...but I find that he will sit right by the door until I come home...and I don't like that. So I put him in my room where he will sleep on my bed and be more comfortable.
I know I might sound a little nuts but it just makes me sad to think the poor little guy lays by the door for me.

When I get home now I know that he has been where he like to be best...on my bed with all his stuff around him.

#18 ·
Originally posted by Teddyandme@May 26 2005, 08:48 AM
I too am able to leave Teddy...he is so good would not get into anything or do anything I would not approve of...but I find that he will sit right by the door until I come home...and I don't like that.  So I put him in my room where he will sleep on my bed and be more comfortable. 
  I know I might sound a little nuts but it just makes me sad to think the poor little guy lays by the door for me. 

When I get home now I know that he has been where he like to be best...on my bed with all his stuff around him. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65419
[/QUOTE]
I hope Lexi doesn't do that! Dang I would feel bad if she sat at the door waiting for me to come home. I need to borrow video camera!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.