Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to post this yesterday but forgot. The place were we are taking the puppy gym class started a new doggie day care. This one is just for toy breeds. I decided to give it a try. They only take 10 dogs or so at a time. It is only for 1 day a week and you don't have to come every week. They want to know in advance if you are coming because if you aren't they will off the spot that day to someone on the waiting list. I lucked out I was one of the people who asked them about it before it was announced so I got a spot.

The thing I like is that it is structured. When you drop off the dogs they put them in crates until everyone is there. After that it is play time. They have some of the puppy size agility equipment set up (they rotate it every week so there is always new stuff). At lunch time there is a 1 hour "nap" time and then they play again. The only thing I don't like is that pick up is 4-5PM. I'm not supposed to get off until 5PM. Luckily it is only 5 minutes from work so I just come in 15 minutes earily and then I can leave 15 minutes early (I have a really nice boss). Oh, and they take the dogs out for potty breaks every couple hours.

Lexi had a blast. She didn't even notice when I left after dropping her off. Normally she doesn't leave my side. I stopped in at lunch and she saw me but just sat there looking at me. Normally she would be going nuts trying to get to me. When I picked her up at 5PM it took her a minute to figure out I was there. She was so busy playing still. She fell asleep in the car on the way home. Once we got home she fell asleep again. Everytime I went to a different room she would follow and then lay on the floor and go to sleep. Poor baby!
I guess she had a fun time!

Sorry this is so long.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting Nov 1 I have to start working longer hours (possilbly 10 hour days, 6 days a week
). I really didn't want to leave Lexi in her crate for that long (she doesn't do well when left in a room with access to her crate (see evidence here). Plus it is during winter and she won't be able to play outside as much. If it was any other time of the year I wouldn't be as worried because I could take her outside to play when I was home. So I wanted to find somewhere I could send her to 1 or 2 days a week.

When I heard about this one I decided to try it. Very happy I did! It is a couple of bucks more than the other day cares in the area but I like that it is only toy breeds and that it is a small group.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been thinking of getting another puppy. First I need to pay off one of my credit cards (
) and then save up enough many for the dog plus some of the first vet bills. So may be next year or the year after.

·
Registered
831 Posts
It sounds like Lexi had a lot of fun :D

I wish I could dosomething like that for the girls.. but here in the bay area is so expensive <_<

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In Des Moines it is $15 per dog per day at this place but the other 2 day cares are $12 and they have a half day rate of $6.

If it was anymore than $15 I probably wouldn't do it. As it is I think she will only go twice a month, maybe 3 times. With the holidays I don't think she would need to go every week.

·
Registered
994 Posts
thats great the daycare sounds really nice
i took maxi if you remember a few months ago he appeared to have a good time
its just to far away from where i am even though they do pick up and drop off i am not comfortable having them pick up maxi and take him in a van
he would get too upset but i definetly reccomend it
i have a dog walker that takes maxi out whe i am at work

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Wow, that sounds like so much fun for Lexi. I think Pico would love something like that. I never thought to look for doggy day care for him because my husband or I are almost always home and he is never left for more than a couple of hours. But he needs a playmate and I can't afford one right now so Doggy Day Care might be the solution.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Hmmm....sounds like a great idea. Doggie Day Care runs a bit more here, but I am sure it is well worth the price. How old does your pup need to be to go to day care? And I am assuming, like human day care, the dogs must be potty trained?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I might leave my camera at the day care and ask them to take pictures. I'll post some pics as soon as I get them. I did take 1 last week at puppy gym (same room as day care).

They set up some of the equiptment and let the dogs play with them. Lexi is to the point where she will most of the stuff by herself.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
oooooo !!

wow ! this is so cool too !!!

i think im gonna order one today

but...i only have space in my studio (its a living room but changed it to a studio space so we can work here) i hope it will fit !!!!

thank you so much Lexi's mom !!
everybody is so helpful here !!

ps..do i need to train Jong-ee how to use it?? or will she just have fun with it right away?? :wacko: jongee has never seen a tunnel before

1 - 20 of 28 Posts