Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
17,634 Posts
With a 3 mile walk, I'd really suspect heatstroke, too. Poor Lexi!

The biggest danger with Malts and even innocent tummy upsets (and I have learned this firsthand) is dehydration. After Lady had to be hospitalized for 2 days with an IV, my vet told me to always keep Pedialite on hand. I get the Gerber unflavored 4 packs. You can get an infant syringe for feeding and squirt it down her throat. It will replace the electrolites she's lost.

I also keep a few jars of baby food meat around (chicken) and give a little of that, just even a fingerful at first to make sure it stays down. I also prefer boiled chicken breast to hamburger for the bland diet (less fat).

You can also give a little Kaopectate or Pepto Bismal to help with the diarrhea.

As your vet says, if you don't see a big improvement soon, bring her in. These little ones can get really sick, really fast when they dehydrate and don't eat. And in case you are dealing with something more serious, like pancreatitis, you don't want to wait.

· Registered
17,634 Posts
I can usually find the unflavored Pedialite in the 4 packs of the smaller bottles in the grocery store. Since you have to throw out any used portion in 24 hours, the big bottles are a waste. Plus, it's easier to keep the smaller bottles around.

If you ever order from places like Revival, you can order a packet or 2 of electrolite replacement powder to keep on hand, too.

http://www.revivalanimal.com/product.asp?pn=83-970

I have learned over the years with Lady how important it is to have a well stocked first aid kit on hand!

· Registered
17,634 Posts
Pumpkin is high fiber so I'm not surprised Lexi's diarrhea got worse, not better. I think most often we give it to help them go if they are constipated.

Anyway, I'm glad you are taking her to the vet. You just don't want to mess around with small dogs and risk dehydration.

Let us know how your appointment goes.

· Registered
17,634 Posts
Might be easier (and less messy!) to keep some Kaopectate on hand!

There was a tummy bug going around here a few months ago according to my vet. Lady had vomiting, not diarrhea, though. A few days of a bland diet and some Reglan took care of it, though.

I'm sure your girls will be fine. Give us an update when you're back from the vet, okay?

· Registered
17,634 Posts
Yeah, it was a virus that Lady had a few months ago, too. She got a shot of antibiotics, too, along with a shot of Reglan, plus antibiotics and Reglan to take home. And we did the bland diet for a few days.

It cost me $108 for about a 5 minute visit! How about you?

· Registered
17,634 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jul 29 2005, 12:22 PM
Lets see it was vet visit, they tested the poop for worms and paracites, shot and meds.  It came to $59.

Edit: We were there for over an hour.  I love my vet!  She is very thorough.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85772
[/QUOTE]

Wow! $59!

Lady had a "brief" visit which is $35, each shot was $23, plus the take home prescriptions.

I rarely get out of there for under $100 and it's much, much more if there is anything more serious going on.

I am amazed at the difference in price!

I don't remember what a fecal is, but Lady just had a heartworm check and it was $40 for the test.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.