Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so upset with myself. I switched purses in a hurry this morning and left one with stuff in it, on a chair.:huh:

When I got home, she had pulled the purse down and everything was out of it. There were gum papers all chewed up on the floor too. The gum is gone, so I'm assuming she ate it. It was Trident and I think there was around 3 sticks.:w00t:

She's acting ok but I'm really worried about it. Should I call the vet or do anything?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,319 Posts
Did it have any kind of artificial sweetner? If so, call your vet immediately...not sure about regular gum. I would call since it three or more pieces.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

I called the vet.

I'm going to the store and buying a pack of the gum. The vet is worried about the Zytilol. She chewed up all the wrapper so no ingrediants. It was watermelon twist.

If it does have the zytilol, she'll have to go in for bloodwork.

I'm such a bad mommy:huh: I'll let you know when we get back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,880 Posts
Trident Watermelon Twist does contain Xylitol so please rush Libby to the vet to get the bloodwork. I'm so scared for her.

Please keep us updated on how she's doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
I hope everything goes well for you and Libby. Keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,924 Posts
Hope she gets to the vet ASAP. Prayers for Libby! :prayer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all!

The gum had zylatol in it so we went to the vet. She had bloodwork and it came back fine.:thumbsup: Her exam was normal too, thank goodness.

I have to bring her back on Monday for a repeat on the blood.

The vet put her on Denamarin for 12 days too.

This is such a lesson for me! I will never leave anything around that she could get into. She's not in a pen anymore so she has free range. Up until today, she hasn't done anything naughty, while I was out.:mellow:

Thank you all again! I had no clue about sweetners being so dangerous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,880 Posts
Thank goodness Libby is okay! Accidents happen, and with our little ones they can go from fine to not fine in just a matter of minutes. I'm glad her bloodwork came out okay so far and that she continues to be fine. Hugs to her. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Glad to hear Libby is okay! :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,319 Posts
Anne, I just thought about something. If her bloodwork was good, then do you think Libby got it out of the paper and the gum is somewhere in the house? Maybe she did not chew it up and she could still get into it. We had a girl on this forum, I think she lived in NY and her dog ate gum with artificial sweetner and the little malt was in the vet hospital for a few days. I would just take a look around her bed and where she may hide things. Just to be on the safe side..................
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,463 Posts
Anne, I just thought about something. If her bloodwork was good, then do you think Libby got it out of the paper and the gum is somewhere in the house? Maybe she did not chew it up and she could still get into it. We had a girl on this forum, I think she lived in NY and her dog ate gum with artificial sweetner and the little malt was in the vet hospital for a few days. I would just take a look around her bed and where she may hide things. Just to be on the safe side..................

I was going to post that.
Milo got some chewed up gum(eww!) on the street before and he chewed it for a second and spit it out.

Glad Libby's blood work came back okay!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,159 Posts
Scary...so glad her bloodwork/she seems great! Accidents happy...and thanks for sharing because I didn't know that about that sweetner either and will be careful where I leave my gum laying around
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,951 Posts
I'm so happy that her bloodwork came back fine! My parents bichon is a true animal when it comes to food and she has eaten gum with zylitol in it several times. They take her to the vet right away and they usually give her charcoal treatments to throw up the gum. Had too much time passed to do that? Regardless, I'm so happy that she seems to be fine!
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top