Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always gone very formal, simple white lights, for the holidays.

This year, I have decided, to use on the outside -the big giant, "gum drops" (that's what I call them) not the clear blubs, but the matted ones -just on one of the evergreens.

I have always thought how enchanting they look after a fresh blanket of snow - I think my kidz will like them too - :wub:

Maria can by this afternoon - and said, I think your "old fashion christmas lights, look cool" - - - (Old fashion):w00t: That kid doesn't hold back - - -

This year, I'm coloring outside of the lines! :blush:

So, what are you using this year?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
We are using both. We have white lights on the house and we have some of those spiral trees (outside decor) that have white lights...and 2 small trees in pots by the front door also (of course) in white.

But inside we do have colored bulbs on the tree. The kiddos really seem to enjoy the colors. The fluffs sniffed the tree and lost interest... lol

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are using both. We have white lights on the house and we have some of those spiral trees (outside decor) that have white lights...and 2 small trees in pots by the front door also (of course) in white.

But inside we do have colored bulbs on the tree. The kiddos really seem to enjoy the colors. The fluffs sniffed the tree and lost interest... lol
Sounds lovely! I can't wait to see pictures of the kids next to the tree!
we always have white lights - I just prefer them.
Orla, I agree - but you just wait until you see this tree - it's magical - it's alive, colorful and full of fun - - - we just need a snowman next to it! "Let it Snow" - - -

I always use colored lights, brings back memories of when I was a child.
Pauls, that sounds lovely - and I agree the big blubs with lovely colors - it's magical!

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I also love the look of the old fashioned bigger mulit colored lights. I guess they just remind me of Christmas more then the mroe boring white ones.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also love the look of the old fashioned bigger mulit colored lights. I guess they just remind me of Christmas more then the mroe boring white ones.

((Pam)) Thank G-d, you and Paula seem to be the only ones that "get it" -

I dunno, I've always been a control freak - everything had to be *perfectly placed, perfectly set, perfectly constructed* (what the h*** is perfect anyway?)

No more *perfect* for me, life is too short - - -

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts
((Pam)) Thank G-d, you and Paula seem to be the only ones that "get it" -

I dunno, I've always been a control freak - everything had to be *perfectly placed, perfectly set, perfectly constructed* (what the h*** is perfect anyway?)

No more *perfect* for me, life is too short - - -

Allie:aktion033: Life is to short, just enjoy the moments that's what I'm trying to do, I have to remind myself all the time. I try to step out of the box as much as possible, it makes life so interesting and I have met so many interesting people by doing it.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I use white lights in the windows, colored lights on my tree, and a spotlight shining on the door wreath. One of these years I'm going to plant an evergreen tree in the backyard, cover it with the big old-fashioned colored lights and just sit and stare out the back windows and reminisce about my childhood when nothing was formal but our behavior at the dinner table!

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
White lights on house and on our trees (indoor and out). I'm not a big fan of the colored lights but if DH or future kids asked I would comply.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use white lights in the windows, colored lights on my tree, and a spotlight shining on the door wreath. One of these years I'm going to plant an evergreen tree in the backyard, cover it with the big old-fashioned colored lights and just sit and stare out the back windows and reminisce about my childhood when nothing was formal but our behavior at the dinner table!
Well, Mary - perhaps the bulbs are "old-fashioned" that I have selected to use this year- I have never thought about using them before.

Everything had to be in proper order. Everything placed - everything, dare I say - staged . . . .Well, I’m letting go of that mind-set - I sort of like not being wound-up about appearances.

I think that I’m going to adopt the saying - "I am, what I am" and go from there.

I love to paint, mostly watercolors - I haven’t touched a brush, since my beloved Nicholas, went to the bridge - I might just paint again . . .

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i like the white ones that are white frosted and have the pointed tip :blush:
That's sounds lovely!

Allie:aktion033: Life is to short, just enjoy the moments that's what I'm trying to do, I have to remind myself all the time. I try to step out of the box as much as possible, it makes life so interesting and I have met so many interesting people by doing it.
I'm with you sweetie! You are so right!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Allie - I think you should paint and paint outside the lines:)
We have white and colored lights and DH is in charge of them. I think he puts on colored ones every year because they're at the top of the box. :smpullhair:Every year he says white or colored and I think we somehow end up with colored every year. I'm going to push for white this time. I think he worries about missing bulbs....like you can't get new lights anywhere for cheap. B)

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts
Allie my friend please start painting again, I would love to see your paintings, God has blessed you with so many gifts, enjoy them and when you pick up that paint brush smile, you have set yourself free, dance in the moon light my friend

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
White lights on house and on our trees (indoor and out). I'm not a big fan of the colored lights but if DH or future kids asked I would comply.
I have always only used white lights - yet, I have admired colored lights when done simply - I still love to ride about looking at the lights - through New Castle, Rye and North Hampton - it's a blast -

We even won "best show" one year - all simple white lights - 1998 - I'll look for my pictures - if anyone cares to see them.

Downtown Portsmouth is looking most beautiful lately - I love shopping the local stores - supporting the local merchants.

·
Premium Member
10,185 Posts
We use blue lights out front. I have always loved the blue lights. It's amazing how many people have stopped by to tell us they love the blue lights, too! A couple of years ago we won for the best decorated house. I would not have wanted to be one of the judges ... because I think so many of the homes have pretty lights and decorations.

I especially love the blue lights when it is snowing ... it is gorgeous. It reminds me of ... Peace on Earth.

On our deck, in the back of the house ... we used the colored lights. I love sitting in our dining area looking out on to the deck and being able to enjoy gazing at the warm and colorful lights.

By the way, I've always loved the old fashioned Christmas lights ... but, I have not seen them for a long time.

I tried to find better pictures of our lights from last year ... but, I can't find them at the moment. Except the picture of Snowball at the door ... that is from last year.

So, below is a picture of the lights out front ... but, not all of the lights are on the trees and bushes yet (for this year) ... a lot of the bushes below in the picture (you can't see the bushes in the dark) don't even have the lights on as of yet. And, this is not the best picture. That is a blue lit snowflake above the front door.

Usually we have all the Christmas lights ready to be lit up on Thanksgiving night ... but, not this year. Also, we usually have a Christmass tree in front of the box window ... last year with blue lights, too. (this year we are not putting up the big tree)

When I come across the pictures of the outside (with the tree and candles in the window) ... I will share them. It makes a difference to see the candles and tree in the window ... and, of course, more lights on the trees and bushes. But, in the meantime, I thought I would give you some idea what the blue lights look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
My husband and I live in a very small (~1400sqft) old house built in 1904. Everything has been updated (mostly by us), except for the square footage! lol

We had a really nice huge artificial Blue Spruce tree that we used before buying this house, but it was WAY too big to fit so I purchased a tiny 6' tree at Walmart last year for less than $30 (we are hoping to buy a new house in about 2 years so the tree is just temporary) and that is our special tree for this home.

I love, love, love white lights! Actually, what I love even more than white lights are my pearlized white lights. The photos still make them look more "bright" than they are in person, but they are a very warm, soft glow...I love them! I included a photo (that turned out blurry for some reason) of the tree & our living room so you can see how tiny the room is...our big tree would have taken up 1/4 of the room! I usually change the color-scheme somewhat each year, and this year I came up with Ivory, Silver, Green, & Light Blue. I hope you like it!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We use blue lights out front. I have always loved the blue lights. It's amazing how many people have stopped by to tell us they love the blue lights, too! A couple of years ago we won for the best decorated house. I would not have wanted to be one of the judges ... because I think so many of the homes have pretty lights and decorations.

I especially love the blue lights when it is snowing ... it is gorgeous. It reminds me of ... Peace on Earth.

On our deck, in the back of the house ... we used the colored lights. I love sitting in our dining area looking out on to the deck and being able to enjoy gazing at the warm and colorful lights.

By the way, I've always loved the old fashioned Christmas lights ... but, I have not seen them for a long time.

I tried to find better pictures of our lights from last year ... but, I can't find them at the moment. Except the picture of Snowball at the door ... that is from last year.

So, below is a picture of the lights out front ... but, not all of the lights are on the trees and bushes yet (for this year) ... a lot of the bushes below in the picture (you can't see the bushes in the dark) don't even have the lights on as of yet. And, this is not the best picture. That is a blue lit snowflake above the front door.

Usually we have all the Christmas lights ready to be lit up on Thanksgiving night ... but, not this year. Also, we usually have a Christmass tree in front of the box window ... last year with blue lights, too. (this year we are not putting up the big tree)

When I come across the pictures of the outside (with the tree and candles in the window) ... I will share them. It makes a difference to see the candles and tree in the window ... and, of course, more lights on the trees and bushes. But, in the meantime, I thought I would give you some idea what the blue lights look like.
You would look at that baby at the door - I mean, really, does it get any better than that? I think naught.

The house looks wonderful Marie, what a GREAT job!

The blue is magical, I love it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts