Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all--
The past several weeks have been extra nuts--Amelia (age 7) has complained off and on of stomach pain. Had some tests done. Nothing. Vomiting on a few occasions. Well, last night was the granddaddy of all vomiting and took her in again today. Turns out she has lost 4 lbs in the past month--that is quite substantial for a growing child her age/size. The doctor (top doc in the practice) was concerned and ordered an entire barrage of tests starting today. She had bloodwork today--5 viles--I was scared she would pass out. Had urine tested today. Will have fecal in the next day or so, ultrasound tomorrow morning, and next week lactose intolerance test (takes 3 hours). I've been so stressed out.

This morning when she got back from the tests I came home to find 1) poop on the floor 2) two puddles of urine in the kitchen 3) the mother of all accidents--the livingroom couch SATURATED in pee. I mean like someone poured a gallon of pee on it. I think it's ruined. Every 10 minutes today the dogs were barking--made it impossible for Amelia (and me) to rest. I have to tell you I don't know how much more I can take. From here on out the dogs will now be gated in the kitchen when we're gone. They are not going to like that. And I have to do something for the barking--I can't take it anymore.

I have no time off left at work. I won't be able to take a summer vacation this summer. It's always something and I'm so, so exhausted and stressed all the time. I'm doing the best I can and just am having a very hard time.

So...another happy update from me!!! LOL. I can't stand the new forum format--I don't know why. It seems cold and sterile to me. That's just me--just my opinion.

I miss you guys and hope my life (or at least my attitude) can get better soon. Please keep Amelia in your thoughts/prayers. I'm worried like **** about her. I'll update as soon I hear anything.

Love to all.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Oh no Pam.......not Amelia with stomach pains again. Please do me a favor. Let the doc do his thing, if nothing shows up, please have an MRI done of her stomach area. I feel your pain, when it is your child. Good luck and keep us informed~~~:wub:

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
Pam I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. You've really got your hands full and you must be beside yourself not knowing what's wrong with Amelia. When I was about her age, maybe a year or so older, I had excruciating stomach pains every week and vomiting and was a mess. Believe it or not, I had malnutrition. I came from a home with plenty of food and my mother was an amazing cook and baker but I was one of the pickiest eaters on earth. I didn't like anything and did way more pushing the food around than eating it. I lost so much weight that the doc said I had to eat something every hour or I'd be put in the hospital. Well we followed the directions and I ended up building back up and being fine and of course now loving food and to cook. Was she a normal weight? Any issues with eating? Just one thought. Of course I also would check for food allergies. Some cause severe gastro issues. Maybe eliminate dairy for a week or two. If no change then try eliminating all wheat for a week or two. Also try to be a detective and keep a food diary with what she eats and see if any particular food might be triggering a reaction. Main allergens are dairy, eggs, soy, wheat,fish, shellfish, tree nuts and peanuts.
Am sending thoughts and prayers to you and amelia.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Umm, I wonder if they checked her urine for ketones. Molly had stomach pains on and off for a while before she was dx'd with diabetes. She lost 5 lbs in 10 days before dx. Just wondering if anyone you know has a blood glucose monitor.:mellow:

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Hugs for you Pam. I know you have a lot to handle.
Sending Prayers and positive thoughts for Amelia.
The forum is great once you have time to get to know it. Hope you come back.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
That's A LOT going on and the worry about your daughter has to be terrible. I can certainly see why you're exhausted and stressed. I hope they find out what's going on and get things straightened out. I hope things get better for you soon.
Hugs!
:grouphug:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I wonder if Ollie and Yoyo are feeling the stress of your daughters unknown diagnosis and this is their way of reacting? I do hope that everything gets better - poor Amelia! We will keep all of you in our thoughts.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:grouphug:THanks guys! WEll, one thing she tested positive for is strep. So that very well could have been causing the upset tummy (can be a common strep symptom in kids). So we start antiboiotics today. Still waiting on the rest of the tests. She had an abdominal ultrasound this morning.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I hope that step is the culprit and that a round of antibiotics takes care of it. You're all in my thoughts.
As for the dogs, they're likely responding to the stress in the house. Take care.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I am so sorry to hear you are ging thru this , as a mother of four kids i know how frustrating it is to see your children sick and not be able to help them or worse yet not knowing what is wrong , i will definitely have you and your daughter in my prayers , hoping of course that she will be ok and they get to the root of the problem. (((( hugs)))) you definitely have reason to be stressed ...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I wonder if Ollie and Yoyo are feeling the stress of your daughters unknown diagnosis and this is their way of reacting? I do hope that everything gets better - poor Amelia! We will keep all of you in our thoughts.
That's what I was thinking too...pups are picking up on the stress energy/sense something is wrong...they are very intuitive

I am so sorry your baby girl isn't feeling well... I am also holding her and your family in my prayers for Fast Healing!!!! Hang in there ((((hugs))))

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the major prob with the dogs...you may have seen in the news that the northeast is getting hammered by rain. It's been days. And before that just a few nice days and more rain. We've got epic proportions going on. It's been POURING all day. The dogs HATE going out in the rain--fight it like crazy. They would rather poop/pee in the house. This has gotten worse as Ollie has gotten older. Ollie is actually worse about it than YoYo is. Ollie, my precious pup who NEVER soiled in the house. He's a big boy now and doesn't like getting cold/wet.

I have him in jammies right now and he's very angry, lol. Just something to keep on him so he won't get so soaked when he goes out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.