Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a big problems.. she seems to find ANYTHING and EVRYTHING and eats it.. it wouldnt be so scary if it wasn;t for her trying to gagged it out... any idea?

my floor has never been so clean! :ph34r:

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi did this when I first got her. She just recently started getting better. She is now 8 months old. When she does pick up something she shouldn't have tell her "NO!" and take it away. One thing that helped me is I taught Lexi "drop it" and "leave it". Once she learned that it get better.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy used to be the SAME way.. he still does it to an extent. I just had to make sure not a thing was on the floor for him to get at.. that meant TONS of vaccuuming (my most hated of chores).. He finally seems to have grown out of it, I think part of that might be because he's not teething anymore. I would definitely recommend teaching the leave it or drop it command, it comes in soooo handy when you might accidently drop something on the floor or they just manage to find something. Good luck!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your reply's the only problem im having is that "NO" "Leave IT" "enough" "stop" does nto seem to be more than a play word for her .. even though i get serious.. she thinks im playing! and if i take it away she cries!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Try trading with her. When you take away something she can't have give her a toy. Or when she does drop it or leave give her a treat and LOTS of praise. One of my trainers said you need to praise the dog enough to get a reaction out of them. So basically make a fool out of yourself. You need to be consistent with this. Your puppy is only 3 months old right? That is still really young so you will have to give it awhile. Plus it is normal puppy behavior. They explore using there mouths. It will get better after she stops teething, but that is still 2-5 months away (Sorry!). So keep trying and give her time. You should notice that she slowly starts to catch on that good things happen when she listens.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, i agree with trading also. maybe try to bitter apple spray everything thats on the ground? honestly, a puppy can get anywhere, try putting everything up high. what is it that she's grabbing?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Originally posted by Kaley@Sep 29 2004, 12:43 PM
thank you for your reply's the only problem im having is that "NO" "Leave IT" "enough" "stop" does nto seem to be more than a play word for her .. even though i get serious.. she thinks im playing! and if i take it away she cries!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10270
[/QUOTE]

Bella does the same thing. When I say no and get mad at her, she thinks it's a game...it drives me crazy.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I wanted to take a picture of any of the toilet paper rolls in our house... which have all had to be re-rolled back up after the girls get a hold of it and string it through the house...

You have this big uneven wad of toilet paper all around this cardboard tube... it would be perfect with a caption under it that said

sure way to spot a maltese owner[/B]
Or something of that nature.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what does she grab,,, lol ask me what doesn't she.. from remote controls.. she has totally ruined 3 pairs if my sandals.. and my sister's really expensive Louis Vuitton (real) shoes.. we didnt get mad we understood it was her behavior.. but boy yesterday she was trying to chew my sweater (which i had on) ... my bf soccer shoes... shocks.,... the list can go on.. and on... and on... did i mention she was trying to chew the wall!?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Does she have toys of her own? You can try spraying bitter apple spray on the stuff she chews on. When she does chew on something she should say "NO! Get a toy!" and gently shove a toy in her mouth.

I can totally sympathize with the wall thing. Here is what Lexi did to my apartment wall: Bathroom Wall

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
gruffi has this favorite monkey toy(that you can buy at petsmart) and it has hard teething plastic pieces for feet. also buy lots of bully sticks or something. ellie kept on trying to bite at the walls too. once we bought bully sticks---all that stopped. go to petsmart or petco and see if they have "bully or pizzle sticks". hopefully you find them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL i thought only LUlu tried to chew the wall.. she has TONZ of toys.. toys we have bough her and toys she took from me.. and my sisters.. (stuffed animals) my room looks like a child room its a mess .. she makes a mess... but i dont have the heart to put her in anything,,.,, i like her to run loose!

i will try to apple thingy maybe it will work!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts