Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I know I haven't been around much lately (busy planning my wedding and working all the time!) but I'm hoping that you guys can share your experiences and/or give me some advice.

Lilly has not been feeling well for the past few days so obviously I'm worried but also a bit confused. It started on Saturday night when she vomited three times during the night. All of it was basically just yellow bile but this is unusual for Lilly and I don't think she has thrown up since she was a puppy. The next morning she seemed pretty much normal and has not thrown up since Saturday night. She is peeing and pooping normally but she has not really interested in eating.

On Sunday afternoon she seemed off again and she would whimper when I picked her up or pressed on her belly. She wouldn't take her zukes mini naturals (which is VERY unlike her!) so we got worried and I called the emergency vet. They said to bring her in. We brought her in and the vet examined her but didn't really seem to have an idea of what could be wrong. We decided not to do an abdomen xray because she is pooping and peeing normally and keeping down water and any treats she does eat. They drew blood but have held off on running the tests to see if she got better. Of course while we were at the vet she perked up and was running around the exam room.

Yesterday my fiance stayed home with her, she seemed down and a bit lethargic but would have bursts of energy. I even got her to chase her ball a little bit last night so we thought she was on the mend. Now today she is still not right, acting down and whimpering a bit when I press on her belly. She still isn't eating but pee/poop normal and will take water. Still no more vomit. We have now asked the vet to run the bloodwork but we don't have the results as of yet.

Have any of you experienced anything similar?? Is it normal for these dogs to just get an upset stomach that lasts this long? I"m really worried but not really sure what it could be.

I should mention that Lilly had bloodwork maybe six months ago when she had her dental and everything was normal like it always has been over her 4 year life. She was just at the vet 2 weeks ago for her rabies vaccine but nothing other than that out of the ordinary. She is mostly an indoor dog and was only outside about 10 days ago for a walk and other than that has been inside, away from all other animals.

Please let me know if you have ANY words of advice or any similar experiences. Sorry this is so long!

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Sorry, I can't help but hope someone here can give you the advice you seek. I hope Lilly feels better.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We FINALLY got Lilly's bloodwork back. Her Albumin and red blood cell counts were slightly low. My vet told me that this is not unexpected in a dog who was feeling sick so he is not too alarmed at this time. We are going to re-check her blood work next weekend to hopefully confirm that everything is back to normal.

Lilly seems to be back to her old self, chasing her tail and doing all of that goofy stuff. Hopefully it was just a virus or something like that!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Hi
When any of my fur kids start that, I'll give them a Pepcid, generic is ok, and observe for a day. It usually works, and by dinner time they are snarfing it up. Unless its a lot of vomit, or bloody, or otherwise out of the ordinary

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm sorry Lilly wasn't feeling well and hopefully it is just a bout with a little tummy upset and nothing serious .... she sure is a cutie

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
When any of my fur kids start that, I'll give them a Pepcid, generic is ok, and observe for a day. It usually works, and by dinner time they are snarfing it up. Unless its a lot of vomit, or bloody, or otherwise out of the ordinary
My vet told me to give her Pepcid AC and it seemed to help!! I wish that I had known to try that first :)

Lilly has just really never been sick and she is not generally a dog that throws up EVER so I probably overreacted a bit, but I guess better safe than sorry right.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm so sorry your baby isn't feeling well. Do you think she could have ingested something that was bad for her?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Didn't you say that she had her rabies shot 10 days ago and isn't that about the time she started feeling upset in her tummy. Maybe it is just a thought but I had pups that got upset and didn't feel well for a while after getting the rabies shots. Maybe when you pressed her tummy you were near where her shot was given and it was still tender to the touch as well. And thats why she wimpered. Just a thought. Glad she is feeling better now though:chili::chili:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts