Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone gotten there babies lime shots im going on monday to get maxi a vaccination do you all get this done
im too nervous god forbid he got a tic he loves to climb into stuff outside
my friends toy poodle gets it
i need opinons before monday
anyone!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i think you have to ask your vet if lyme disease is even in the area where you live. i gave my dogs a lyme vaccination a couple of years ago, and the vet kept saying "but you're not leaving southern california...you dont need it" and i was like "just in case". LOL.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Apr 30 2005, 06:24 PM
i think you have to ask your vet if lyme disease is even in the area where you live.  i gave my dogs a lyme vaccination a couple of years ago, and the vet kept saying "but you're not leaving southern california...you dont need it" and i was like "just in case".  LOL.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58410
[/QUOTE]

and ? so you gave them a vaccination was that bad? thats what i am concerned about in this world today you dont know if these tics are around i want maxi to be protected no matter what but my concern is if this is a bad vaccination to get

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
personally, i dont think its bad to give them the vaccination. i think my vet was just trying to save me money.
i think if you want to be safe--then go for it.
my dogs didnt have any reaction to the shot.

do you have maxi on a flea and tick med?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The lyme vaccine can cause vaccine reaction and also is not always effective. In addition, if your dog still did contract lyme disease, you need a much more expensive test to determine if it is truly infection or from the vaccines (we charge about $150).

A topical preventative like Frontline is a great way to go. In addition, talk to your vet about the symptoms of tick borne diseases and, if your dog displays any, have them tested.

I personally would not vaccinate my dogs for lyme because it is a treatable disease and the vaccine may not even work. I'd rather not stress their immune systems when I can do a simple blood test if I have any concerns.

Talk to your vet about the pros and cons of the lyme vaccine.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no i dont live in a tic infested county i do however take maxi down to the park which runs along the bronx river parkway and the duck pond i do have the frontline put on every month and he takes his heart worm pill
my friends sisters dog they live in washington dc got bit by a tic and died
makes me nervous so i just want to cover all ends

1 - 7 of 7 Posts