Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know this already but since I'm putting these recipes on the board I just felt I should remind everyone to limit your dogs snacks. These recipes are for fun and do make cute holiday gifts.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If one gets atreat with mine both get a treat. Bentley is almost three and Mia is 10 months, I didn't want Bentley attacking her if I gave her a treat and not him. I just do it to not create a scene or jealousy. I buy small tiny treats and break them in half so they are not getting very much.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@May 23 2004, 03:14 PM
I have always used treats as a reward for going, so when Wally goes and Toby doesn't, I give Wally a treat. I feel so bad for not giving Toby one because he is jumping around so excitedly but he didn't do anything
. Am I doing the right thing? I feel like a big meanie. Any suggestions?
I dont think there is a right or wrong answer here but you have to consider that Toby may not know the reason you are giving wally one and not him, I would give them both treats and encourage Toby when he actually goes, the instant he goes, with a good boy, and a show of excitement, he will get his "reward" from that and understand far better than not getting a treat

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you could give toby a not so yummy treat. like if youre giving puperoni to wally--then toby gets a plain biscuit.

with me---i give treats to whoever listens. but...my dogs are all older (2, 1.5, and 1 yrs old). so they know why they are or arent getting a treat. does toby know to go potty outside? and he gets a treat when he goes, right?

maybe you can give wally a treat for going potty...and toby gets a treat if he does a sit and a down.
no matter what--you cant give a treat to a dog if he hasnt earned it. so if you really want to give toby a treat--make him do a couple commands.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm in the very same boat. When I was training Morgan, he got treats no matter if he went or not with alot of praise. Once he was trained, I gradually stopped the treats and he was fine. But now that I have Bailey, I am training him and at least 50% of the time, Morgan goes out with him. Bailey is just now getting the hint, "after you go outside you get a treat" so he comes running on the leash to wear I keep the treats...so does Morgan. What I will do alot of times is take one treat and break it into two pieces and give one half to each of them and then I pat Bailey and praise him some more and tell him how good he was for me and how much of a big boy he is. (Like he really understand me! lol) But other times, I think about when I am sitting here they get treats throughout the evening time, (I keep them in my desk and they ALL know where they are lol). So I will tend to try to shy away from giving Morgan them when Bailey goes out. But again, I feel that same pang of guilt you do. I figure, if he starts getting fat I will know "enough is enough" hard to find that happy middle ground, I guess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.