Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lisi had pre-dental blood work this week & it came back a bit conflicted. The vet approved her for a cleaning but I am unsure now. I sent the vet a msg. that will hopefully help me to decide if we should go through w/cleaning or pursue US for further clarification. Her only issue w/blood work is that all of her liver enzymes are a bit elevated (she did test elevated at 16 weeks & MVD was diagnosed but she has NEVER had elevated enzymes in her 9 years). The question that is unclear is: has the cancer spread to her liver? We can only know that if we go back & do another abdominal US. Folks, this is one reason I keep saying "do a BAA at 16 wks so you will have a base-line". I am waiting to hear back from the vet---hopefully early this coming week.
IF the cancer has spread we need to make some tough decisions.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
If she is having any gi issues, vomiting lately etc, before her blood work, that will also raise the liver enzymes.

·
Premium Member
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She did act one day like she would vomit in my bed, but she never vomited! One thought is that she is on a different food (the Zeal you recommended). Could her enzymes go up that fast---I don't think so---they usually go up & come down more slowly. It would be the purines that are in the Zeal I think (white fish) that might play into the results.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Is she on prednisone Sandi? I think prednisone can cause higher readings.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
She did act one day like she would vomit in my bed, but she never vomited! One thought is that she is on a different food (the Zeal you recommended). Could her enzymes go up that fast---I don't think so---they usually go up & come down more slowly. It would be the purines that are in the Zeal I think (white fish) that might play into the results.
How elevated were her liver enzymes?
Regarding GI disease, yes, food can cause inflammation if allergic, which in turn can make the liver enzymes rise, but not over a weeks time. At least from my experience, it hasn’t.
Lacie has MVD and she has had no issues with fish.
Was she having flares beforehand. If she was, Im thinking her liver was elevated from GI and you just so happen caught it because of the dental coming up. I know you alternate different meals but with any type of GI issues, it’s best to keep the diet simple so you know what they are reacting to.
And like my IMS always says when I worry about why certain things are elevated, she said “That’s GI disease“ it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s end of life. As you already know, it’s a roller coaster ride. One minute they are great, the next, they are vomiting.
Pat has a great point, if she’s on any type of steroid, that will definitely raise the liver.

·
Super Moderator
9,724 Posts
Which enzymes and how high? A lot of things can cause a rise in liver markers which have nothing to do with the liver. In all the years that Luck had a shunt, his alk and all were always near normal. Dental issues can so elevate alk-p levels. Are the alt, all, ask ast all abnormal?

·
Premium Member
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hematocrit slightly elevated. Reticulocytes slightly elevated along w.ALP & ALT. The funny thing is they were very low not very long ago. I get a chart so not sure of numbers. The chart compares w/what the last reading was.
As faar as I know there is no dental disease, but that was the reason to do the dental this week---to be sure. They have dentals every year---never has been an issue. We had tests for food allergies & white fish was one of the things that was ok---and we have never had too many digestive issues. In fact we used to say L had a "cast iron" stomach. Oh yes, GGT was also slightly elevated.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Personally, Slightly elevated wldnt be a concern. Small breeds tend to run on the higher side. What did your vet think?

·
Super Moderator
9,724 Posts
I agree with Joanne. I am surprised your vet would worry about a slight elevation. As with any snapshot, it only captures the moment and these thing vary throughout the day.

·
Premium Member
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She approved us moving ahead, but also suggested we might want to do another US! I am thinking we will do the dental & wait until the beginning of the year to test again. If they are still up or higher we will do another US. She seems to be doing pretty well considering! Again, my two have only had higher when Kitzi poisoned himself when he was one---never again.
I agree with Joanne. I am surprised your vet would worry about a slight elevation. As with any snapshot, it only captures the moment and these thing vary throughout the day.
I think she is "fear-ful" because of the cancer.

·
Premium Member
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I started L on milk-thistle today & plan to proceed w/the dental on Friday. I think I will go back to the Stella & Chewy's turkey patties we used for a while to see if that makes a difference. Kitzel's blood work was perfect on that---but the cardiologist wanted me to give him something more "normal." She thought it a bit odd that I give him "greens" etc. but you can't argue w/the results! I could not get into to "talk" w/her so that conversation will have to wait. Sometimes we have to do what we have to do! :)

·
Super Moderator
9,724 Posts
Good luck on Friday. Dr Center was always a big supporter of more veggies and dairy for Luck as a way of taking some stress off the liver.

·
Premium Member
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good luck on Friday. Dr Center was always a big supporter of more veggies and dairy for Luck as a way of taking some stress off the liver.
Very encouraged to hear that Walter! I do like my cardio----she is great at what she does, but we definitely don't agree on my food choices. I am reordering the old stuff today! The "kids" love all things green & raw so we are going back to their happy place.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Very encouraged to hear that Walter! I do like my cardio----she is great at what she does, but we definitely don't agree on my food choices. I am reordering the old stuff today! The "kids" love all things green & raw so we are going back to their happy place.
S & C is very high in fat and high protein...do you really want to do that?

·
Premium Member
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
S & C is very high in fat and high protein...do you really want to do that?
It has worked for my two! Kitzel's last blood work was the best he has ever had---excellent! Lisi tested w/the higher liver values after changing to Zeal. I can not explain away the results thus far. We will test again a month after Lisi's dental.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Sandi, I must have missed all of this on Facebook.

I do think you are smart in going ahead with the dental. I think Lisi will do just fine ... and, especially since your doctor gave the go ahead. As you already ‘know, underlying tooth issues can cause serious health issues ... and, especially with the heart and if not caught on time.

Snowball had his cardio check-up last Thursday. When his cardiologist brought Snowball back out to the car (aren’t we living in changing times with vet visits outside now) ... I asked Dr. Tyrrell if he felt Snowball would be okay with a dental. He said yes. So, I plan on doing that in a few months. (holding off because it is not an emergency and because of the pandemic).

As for veggies, I am with you all the way. Snowball is limited to just a few vegetables because they are high in oxalate ... but, he can have and eats brocoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus tips, peas, red pepper, pumpkin, snap peas, and butternut squash.

Unfortunately, I think some vets are not up to date on nutrition and home cooked meals for dogs. I am so happy that Dr. Krisi introduced us to the three Chinese supplements Snowball takes every day along with Snowball’s other meds for his heart. We think this is a huge part as to why Snowball has been able to do so well since that heart attack four and a half years ago ... his prognosis at the time had been 12/18 months).

Sandi, I will be thinking about you and sweet Lisi on Friday. Sending healing prayers and much love. Hugs, love, and kisses for sweet Kitzi, too. ❤🐾❤

·
Premium Member
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Marie! I am happy Snowball is doing so well---he is a trooper! You have such great vet care!
I feel better about Lisi & the dental now. Sometimes we just need to reason through things & be as prepared as we can--at least that is how it works for me. I do appreciate your prayers & love. You are always extremely thoughtful! :love:
Actually I am glad we discovered so quickly that Lisi's #s were going up (this is new for her) as it helps to figure out why/how to change it before things go really south. If it is the cancer the numbers will continue to go up, I think. The vet said yesterday we will test a month after the anesthesia has cleared BTW: I did not put this on FB. My breeder is there & she loves Lisi so much & worries about her. I don't want to trouble her if it is nothing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Just to give you some insight what happened to me with Cody and his cancer. I agree getting the dental is good if your vet said it’s okay. Cody’s values before I knew where always slightly higher then normal all his life and every bloodwork I would take never was the same. Cody had a dental approximately about a year before I knew he had cancer and he did great with the dental. Then months later I found out he had cancer in the liver. But I am glad I did the dental. I probably wouldn’t have done it if I knew that then. I would be scared too. The link I found out Cody had cancer was his bloodwork Alkphose was over 500. And I read that when it reaches 500 it was warranted to get a ultrasound. My vet didn’t even ask me to do it. I asked for a ultrasound even though the alt and ast were in Cody’s managing numbers. But the news came back he had cancer. Look at the alkphose number. I am so sorry your going through this. And most definitely food can increase those enzymes, Also did Lisi Fast before the Bloodwork?? That can make a big difference at least with Cody it did. Bloodwork can change. Prednisone definitely increases numbers and body was weaned off by a quarter pill. Cancer makes those liver enzymes always go up and up and very fast it will increase. I took Cody’s blood then three weeks later his numbers jumped to 800 that was right after I took the ultrasound too. It happened fast with Cody. Hopefully it’s the food, maybe to ease your mind take another bloodwork may cost you more but then you can have peace of mind. Usually the vets wait 3 weeks in between before another bloodwork. What beautiful babies you have!!! They are sooooo lucky to have you!!!!!! Dee

·
Premium Member
17,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you Dee! We are moving fwd. for Friday's dental. We plan to do another blood panel in a month after the anesthesia has cleared her system. For us everyday is by God's grace alone & we are very, very thankful. Lisi is a real little fighter & we want to give her every chance to show her colors!

Reactions: Coster
1 - 20 of 48 Posts