Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lisi's birth: Aug. 4, 2011
We got Lisel from a well known breeder at 5 months of age when she weighed 3.2 lbs. She was on the smaller side, but very healthy, lively/energetic and a good eater. She was a never ending ball of fun/energy & life!

Canine Distemper reaction:
She had all of her baby shots w/out incident except for an allergic reaction to a canine distemper shot (Nobivac DHP---at almost 6 months of age), which took place in the vet's office almost immediately. I was not too serious---swollen face, eyes/ mouth both red all around w/ears red & hot. Her heart was racing wildly according to the vet. The vet administered a cortisone shot & sub-q fluids. She weighed 3.2 lbs at this visit/reaction.

BAT results:
Lisi's BAT was repeated due to being only slightly elevated, & both times was slightly elevated on the post-prandil result. The 2nd BAT post prandil result was higher than the first one. It is possible/probable that she is a small risk for MVD.

Eherlichosis:
Lisi was treated for Eherlichosis Sept., 2012 after having 5 baby, nymph ticks removed at the same time. She was tested & found positive for TBD, but w/a lower count as it was caught early. She had antibiotic for 28 days. After antibiotic treatment she was retested in a couple of months & results were negative for TBD.

Lepto Reaction:
Lisi had a reaction to the Lepto vaccine (Novibac* Lepto) that resembled the reaction to the Distemper only it was worse. We stayed in the vet's office after the shot was administered for about 20 min. and went to a shopping mall nearby where the symptoms elevated dramatically. We rushed her back to the vet---her heart was pounding out of her chest, she had a bright red face, that was swollen dramatically, ears were red & hot & she was thrashing wildly. The vet immediately treated her w/cortisone & fluids. She was very quiet afterwards and the vet said her BP was dropping. We stayed w/the vet until she was stable. Lisi has not had any more Lepto vaccines.

Rabies Reaction:

This rabies vaccine (Nobivac* Rabies) was the first shot Lisi has had since she had the reaction to Lepto. She was just a few days short of being one year of age. Her weight was 4.2 pounds. She was given the shot & we remained in the office for at least 1/2 hour---she was very, very quiet after the shot & the vet thought that was positive. After coming home (about 2 hours) she began to thrash about & scratch like crazy in her bed. In a matter of 3-5 minutes she started to swell around the eyes, face & mouth most notably, and the ears were beet red, and she was acting very strange. It proceeded to hives & her hiding & licking, scratching, throwing herself around, running from bed to cage, & smacking a lot. We called the vet who felt she might not make it back to the practice so advised us to contact a vet 5 mins. from our home. We did so, she gave us the info. on where to quickly locate a cortisone at a pharmacy nearby.
She was given cortisone drops---initially 12 then a second round a bit later of about 8/10 drops.
I also talked w/the vet & on her recommendation gave her neutrical.
She hid for most of the evening and the next day---she was very quiet. At the end of the 2nd day all of the swelling had abated. Her gums were pale for several days, and she just laid around in her bed, not playing at all.
The ER vet saw her & said she should have no more vaccines. Her normal vet concurred.
***Lisi had received an initial rabies vaccine with the breeder (3 months of age) in order for her to fly internationally. She did not have a reaction to this vaccine ( R Rabisin).

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
I remember when this was actually happening and how terrified we all were for little Lisi. Many prayers were being said during that time.

·
Premium Member
17,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that Lisi also developed "wheezing" which has continued off & on. I have not had blood work done since her rabies vaccine but I have it scheduled for next week. Her endurance in walking, seems less than it should be, so we are looking forward to seeing if all is okay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts