Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have an 18month male maltese well he does go outside to do his stuff but once he is inside he will do it again. I was thinking about trying to litter train him, thinking maybe this would work, has anyone have any good suggestions

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseMaMa@Mar 20 2005, 04:44 PM
hello everyone I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have an 18month male maltese well he does go outside to do his stuff but once he is inside he will do it again. I was thinking about trying to litter train him, thinking maybe this would work, has anyone have any good suggestions
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44655
[/QUOTE]

Is actually "going" inside or is he perhaps "marking"? If he is marking then the litter box inside won't help at all.....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
it's all about consistancy. and its REALLY hard to teach to go inside. well...compared with teaching going outside.

you may have corrected your dog when he pottied inside (in the wrong place)...but he is SOOO smart
that he doesnt want to potty inside at all.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
He is not housetrained. You need to treat him like a puppy who does not know where to go. If he goes once he comes back in, you need to bring him back in, crate him for 15 minutes, and take him back out. Honestly, I find litter or paper training to take longer and be more difficult than training them to go outdoors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He used the litter pan, sometime lastnight we were soooo excited, he knew when I got up he would be offered a treat for using his box, so now he will run to it then come running to me thinking that he did something to get a treat but i wait to see if he did do it!!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Are you using the actual puppy litter or wee pads in the pan?
Just wondering. I looked into the litter, but decided to get the pan and put a pee pad in it. Much easier to clean up..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Angus is litter trained (well, mostly
) and we love it. When he needs to go, he just runs over to his box and goes, all on his own (but we keep a close eye on him to be sure he's consistent...he's almost 19 weeks old). I feel good knowing that he never has to hold it if he needs to go (I don't, so I figure why should he?). This is by no means a solution for everyone, but for our lifestyle, it really works for us.

We use Yesterday's News dog litter. I can't say that I love it, so I'm researching other options. Until recently (like this week) Angus kept eating it (eeesh...
) so there was lots of work to keep him from swallowing it.

It might take longer to litter train (I have no idea...I've never houstrained a puppy before, so I have no basis for comparison), but I figure I'm going to pick up poop anyway, so it might as well be inside...and flush...than outside, especially when it's miserably cold or raining.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts