Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into the option of the doggy litterbox instead of potty pads. I am curious if others here use a doggy litter box. Do you use it with dog litter or with potty pads? What has your experience been?

In Edmonton, Alberta our normal winter temps range from -20C(-4F) to -40C (-40F). Last winter we had a full week of temps that ranged from -40C (-40F) to -45C (-49F)! I can't imagine a maltese could handle temps like that- even with a doggy snowsuit and booties.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Deana,

I don't have tempatures anywhere near that cold...and I still use puppy pads because the winter is too cold to take Teddy out.

When I first got Teddy, I too did not know which way was better....so I tried both. I settled on the puppy pads because the litter was just too messy and I could not really find Teddy's poo....it just seemed to always be dirty because I did not know which pieces got hit with pee. The other problem I had was that the pellets were too big for Teddy's feet. So when he went in the box he seemed to be walking on eggs and trying to balance. A bigger dog I think would not have that problem...but your little one is going to be around the same size so I don't know how much he will like it either.

How exciting for you....I hope you fall in love this weekend. But with the face I saw on him....I can't imagine you not falling in love.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I used the litter box in the beginning with pee pads. Then I started using litter, but he didn't like it since the pieces were so big, guess it hurt his feet. Now I use a Yogi potty which is just like a dog Wizard with a plastic grid on top to keep the pee away from his feet and a pee pad underneath.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know that the doggy litter is too big for them. But I bet cat litter is still too small and would get stuck in their paws. I was thinking a good option might be to use a litter pan with the potty pad inside it.

Bridge- I am not familiar with Yogi potty, and did a google search but couldn't find it. What is it?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Originally posted by Deanna@Sep 30 2005, 12:22 PM
Good to know that the doggy litter is too big for them. But I bet cat litter is still too small and would get stuck in their paws. I was thinking a good option might be to use a litter pan with the potty pad inside it.

Bridge- I am not familiar with Yogi potty, and did a google search but couldn't find it. What is it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105034
[/QUOTE]
It's a plastic potty with a grid over it that lifts off and within the potty you can either put newspaper or a pee pad. I think it keeps their feet a little cleaner. They have a large one and a smaller one. If you go to Puppy in Style and click on the picture of the Yogi, it should come up. Here is a link for the larger one:
http://www.puppyinstyle.com/shop.cart?acti...od_id=PIS-PO-02

I have the smaller one but wish I had bought the larger one so he could have more room...

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bridge, thanks for the link- that looks awesome! I will totally consider it.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I use the large size dog litter pans with wee pads in them and a cat litter "grate" to keep away pee-pee paws. I get my wee-pads on ebay at a great price.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
In the beginning I also put the puppy pads in the litter box....after time I realized it was not neccessary because Teddy went on the pad well enough not to be reminded stepping into the pan.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I use the wizdog with Wee Wee pads in it. Also live in canada ontario last year it was -20 for two weeks. I won't be moving to your area anytime soon.

Bridge how is the yogi working for you?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Chelsey@Sep 30 2005, 11:30 AM
I use the wizdog with Wee Wee pads in it. Also live in canada ontario last year it was -20 for two weeks.  I won't be moving  to your area anytime soon. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105105
[/QUOTE]

I have only been in Canada for three years now. I am from Texas, I never even owned a coat before I got here! It's been a shocker- but I do love it here.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Deanna+Sep 30 2005, 02:42 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Chelsey
@Sep 30 2005, 11:30 AM
I use the wizdog with Wee Wee pads in it. Also live in canada ontario last year it was -20 for two weeks.  I won't be moving  to your area anytime soon. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105105

I have only been in Canada for three years now. I am from Texas, I never even owned a coat before I got here! It's been a shocker- but I do love it here.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105113
[/B][/QUOTE]

Welcome to SM and Welcome the canada.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge+Sep 30 2005, 11:32 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Deanna
@Sep 30 2005, 12:22 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105034
It's a plastic potty with a grid over it that lifts off and within the potty you can either put newspaper or a pee pad. I think it keeps their feet a little cleaner. They have a large one and a smaller one. If you go to Puppy in Style and click on the picture of the Yogi, it should come up. Here is a link for the larger one:
http://www.puppyinstyle.com/shop.cart?acti...od_id=PIS-PO-02

I have the smaller one but wish I had bought the larger one so he could have more room...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105040
[/B][/QUOTE]

I have the Wizdog but I might want one for the other end of the house. What are the inside measurements of the Yogi potty. I think that you were right in getting the smaller one. I would hate to clean up urine that could go between the two held together with magnets. That sounds like a lot of work and I think that I would rather have 2 small ones. What color do you reccommend?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the Wizdog but I might want one for the other end of the house. What are the inside measurements of the Yogi potty. I think that you were right in getting the smaller one. I would hate to clean up urine that could go between the two held together with magnets. That sounds like a lot of work and I think that I would rather have 2 small ones. What color do you reccommend?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105147
[/QUOTE]

Did you know that you can order two 24 x 18 dog crate pans from www.dog.com at $10.00 each and purchase Plaskolite egg crate grid at Home Depot or Lowes ( 24 x 48 in sheet is S10.57) and end up with two puppy potties that fit perfectly for the Nature's Miracle 23 x 24 pads and end up being cheaper than the wizdog?

Also, be careful... the website has wizdog as costing $39.95 but then they tack extra 10 dollars without warning for shipping.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you know that you can order two 24 x 18 dog crate pans from www.dog.com at $10.00 each and purchase Plaskolite egg crate grid at Home Depot or Lowes ( 24 x 48 in sheet is S10.57)  and end up with two puppy potties that fit perfectly for the Nature's Miracle 23 x 24 pads
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105261
[/B][/QUOTE]

I just tried to order Yogi Potty- and they don't ship to Canada!

Thanks for posting the pictures in your gallery- I will show the pics to my husband so he can get the grate stuff at home depot!

·
Registered
267 Posts
The yogi potty works good, but it still leaves a little urine on the plastic which I just wipe away. It could be bigger though. The small yogi potty is just 18 x 16 inches. I think I'll check out the litter pan at dog.com. Thanks for posting!

P.S. I got the yellow because it shows up better, but either is fine, orange or yellow.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105147

Did you know that you can order two 24 x 18 dog crate pans from www.dog.com at $10.00 each and purchase Plaskolite egg crate grid at Home Depot or Lowes ( 24 x 48 in sheet is S10.57) and end up with two puppy potties that fit perfectly for the Nature's Miracle 23 x 24 pads and end up being cheaper than the wizdog?

Also, be careful... the website has wizdog as costing $39.95 but then they tack extra 10 dollars without warning for shipping.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105261
[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the information. I will do that and save money plus the pads don't fit the Wizdog that well on the ends and I have tried several brands of pads. I usually end up washing urine off the ends of the Wizdog.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have never had that problem with the wizdog. The pads I use go over on the sides a bit and you can tear of a bit if need. I also use the natures miricle pad. I find they work very well for me better then the blue ones. Here are some pictures of the wizdog.
Chelsey in action

I will also check out that site. www.dog.com great idea.

[attachment=596:attachment][attachment=597:attachment][attachment=598:attachment

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thank you so much for the information. I will do that and save money plus the pads don't fit the Wizdog that well on the ends and I have tried several brands of pads. I usually end up washing urine off the ends of the Wizdog.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105311
[/QUOTE]

The thanks really should go to Chelsey, not too long ago she shared the pic of the wizdog while I waited for the one I ordered to arrive (which is on its way back). I ordered it because somehow I thought the grid was perhaps smaller and easier on the dogs' feet... but actually, I still prefer the grid on the welcome cat mat (www.groupone.com) they just do not sell it in stores in the size I would need.

The beauty of the pan and the egg crate is that you can purchase the size you need. If you use Nature's Miracle, I think the 24" size pan is perfect. If you use the Arm and Hammer 22 x 30 the 30" would be perfect. Or the 24 x 36, then really one needs to place down two overlapping Nature's Miracle pads. Also, I would start a bit bigger while they are learning to go and then downsize. My dogs' circling seems to be getting smaller!

Also, I am temporarily using the pads on the pan because I am backtraining my older puppy to go indoors. He seems to be getting it (a week without accidents!) But I need to figure how to raise the grid up so I can go back to using clumping kitty litter. I liked being able to scoop the hard clumps and be done with it.

I don't know how to add pictures to the messages like Chelsey! Can someone pm me how to add picts to message so you can see the nature's miracle pad on the 24" crate pan ? And by the way, while I was setting it up for pic, my dog did it like Chelsey's dog did!

If you have ideas for improvement, please shoot!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105311

The thanks really should go to Chelsey, not too long ago she shared the pic of the wizdog while I waited for the one I ordered to arrive (which is on its way back). I ordered it because somehow I thought the grid was perhaps smaller and easier on the dogs' feet... but actually, I still prefer the grid on the welcome cat mat (www.groupone.com) they just do not sell it in stores in the size I would need.

The beauty of the pan and the egg crate is that you can purchase the size you need. If you use Nature's Miracle, I think the 24" size pan is perfect. If you use the Arm and Hammer 22 x 30 the 30" would be perfect. Or the 24 x 36, then really one needs to place down two overlapping Nature's Miracle pads. Also, I would start a bit bigger while they are learning to go and then downsize. My dogs' circling seems to be getting smaller!

Also, I am temporarily using the pads on the pan because I am backtraining my older puppy to go indoors. He seems to be getting it (a week without accidents!) But I need to figure how to raise the grid up so I can go back to using clumping kitty litter. I liked being able to scoop the hard clumps and be done with it.

I don't know how to add pictures to the messages like Chelsey! Can someone pm me how to add picts to message so you can see the nature's miracle pad on the 24" crate pan ? And by the way, while I was setting it up for pic, my dog did it like Chelsey's dog did!

If you have ideas for improvement, please shoot!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105388
[/QUOTE]

If you have the pictures in your gallery I can add them for you... Sorry I only just saw this post.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.