Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my little malt was spayed 2 weeks ago, for a couple of days after the operation she kept wetting the bed which I understand was due to the pain and being on meds.

Before the operation she was fully house/puppy mat trained and since the operations she has been trained to pee on a gravel tray in the garden.

So two weeks later she is back to normal and is using the puppy training mats during the night and going outside to toilet during the day. But she has had a few accidents in the house. The accidents seem to be when she gets excited, if she thinks she might miss something that is going on and if family arrive despite us just having taken a trip to the garden and her seemingly not needing to pee. I have training mats down all of the time just in case she needs to go but I have caught her using my rug/carpet. Also I have noticed that she is peeing more frequently now, before the op she used to go for hours (her own choice...).

Do I need to retrain her or do you think its because of the operation and her muscles will strengthen up and this will stop.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
I would visit the Vet again as it sounds to me like a UTI.
She is still young and you may have to just work with her again if no infection. Worth the trip to the Vet to make sure.
Good luck.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I agree, she should be checked for a UTI.

If there is no physical cause, then back to remedial housetraining. No freedom without 100% supervision. Take her to her potty place and reward every time. Any stressful event (surgery would be a stressful event) can lead to lapses in housetraining. It is a very normal response from a dog. Nothing that can't be solved with a few weeks of going back to the basics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts